2019 Green Bay Packers offseason - OTAs/minicamps

Shanedorf

7 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

Nice Kumerow and Davis hype, can't wait till the annual "we have 7-8 WRs that would make any roster in the NFL" threads complaining that we don't trade some of them instead of cutting them.

Kudo's,  you nailed it.
And there were indeed rumors last August that GB was shopping T Davis , but then he got hurt and that was that

And right on schedule, Rodgers on Kumerow via PackersWire

“The key is being reliable, and earning my trust,” Rodgers said. “I never feel like there’s been a real difficult recipe or plan. It’s, you know what you’re doing, and you’re in the right spot at the right time, and you don’t make repeat mental mistakes He is an extremely intelligent guy who is in the right place at the right time. He makes contested catches, he makes the plays that are there and he does the little things.”

“Just little things like that he does, I think almost innately, I think almost separates him from a guy you might not trust as much because you know the guy is going to do it right, he’ll always be in the right spot, he knows what he’s doing all the time and what the other guys are doing,” Rodgers said. “And when he gets a chance to make plays, he makes plays. And he does it in a super classy, understated way. Obviously, I’m a big fan of him. I don’t need to keep going on that.”

usatsi_11893862-e1560351241979.jpg?w=100

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

More from The Athletic

"While much of the spring has reinforced LaFleur’s message about inconsistency, there was perhaps no better proof of that than Tuesday, when Kizer and Boyle registered on both ends of the spectrum.

For Kizer, the former second-round pick by the Browns, he routinely demonstrates the kind of poise and leadership teams want from their quarterbacks. He commands the huddle and runs the offense with reasonable efficiency — even though his decision-making and accuracy leave plenty to be desired. He made two head-scratching throws in quick succession Tuesday — one out of bounds and one miles over the head of a running back in the flat — that left observers raising their eyebrows on the sideline.

And for Boyle, the former undrafted rookie who made the 53-man roster last season, he still fluctuates between tantalizing and tormenting. On Tuesday, he made a brilliant 30-yard throw across his body to wide receiver J’Mon Moore that arced over the outstretched arm of a defender along the sideline for a toe-touch grab. He also looked out of sorts during a red-zone drill and threw several balls off-target on rhythm plays."

"...So I think it’s one of those things, it’s always going to be a roller coaster of emotions for those guys as we’re asking them to compete against a very unique defense and learn a new system. So there’s always going to be those ups and downs.”

And one more snippet from The Athletic, fits with some of our earlier conversations

It can be difficult to evaluate pass rushers during non-padded practices because so much of their job description is predicated on physical contact. But one thing that has been obvious regarding outside linebacker Preston Smith is his effort. Smith routinely sprints across the field to pursue running backs and “tag off” with a swipe at the football rather than attempting an actual tackle. He appears to have no qualms chasing plays from the backside or dropping into coverage, both of which fall under his umbrella of responsibility.

“The outside backer group, we’re throwing it all at them just to see,” Pettine said. “We don’t want to specialize with those guys too soon. Rashan (Gary) was brought here to rush the passer, as was Za’Darius (Smith). Preston’s a guy that has a little more coverage stuff in his background but can still rush very effectively. We’re going to give it all to them. That’s fine to see those guys dropping in the spring, but like I told Za’Darius, you’re getting paid to go that way (toward the quarterback) and not that way (toward the secondary).

“We always like to have some change-ups where an offense can’t draw a bead and say, ‘Listen, he’s always (doing this).’ That’s a big part of our pass-rush package is causing confusion as far as who the rushers and who the droppers are. You can’t have a guy that’s 100 percent rush. That makes it a little bit easier on (the offense).”

• Like 1

from Cohen via tweeter

An early trend for the Matt LaFleur offense is how involved RBs seem to be in the passing game. #Packers using tailbacks all over the formation and dedicating drills to fundamentals of receiving. Could be a way to get more touches for Aaron Jones.

Just now, Shanedorf said:

from Cohen via tweeter

An early trend for the Matt LaFleur offense is how involved RBs seem to be in the passing game. #Packers using tailbacks all over the formation and dedicating drills to fundamentals of receiving. Could be a way to get more touches for Aaron Jones.

Lol, have you forgotten who our quarterback is? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Think you're going to see a lot more plays designed to throw to the backs, not simply check downs on plays designed down the field. Big difference.

If that is the case, passing plays designed for running backs, two things come to mind.

1) While they may start out that way, no way is Aaron Rodgers going to stay true to those plays.

2) And he shouldn't.  The receiving corp, including Graham, is too good to be trying to feature running backs playing wide receiver.  We don't have a Marshall Faulk type player on the roster.  Scheming plays as if we do is a mistake.

Just now, vegas492 said:

In Latin, does Aaron Rodgers translate into "Won't throw check downs."?

Note: these aren't always checkdowns...in the shanahan/ MLF world they have these RBs lined up all over the place and running actual routes
We'll see if it matters on Sundays

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Note: these aren't always checkdowns...in the shanahan/ MLF world they have these RBs lined up all over the place and running actual routes
We'll see if it matters on Sundays

Yah, and per my prior post, I feel like that is a mistake.  I'm not against having a RB run a wheel route, screen pass, slant...etc.  But I am against anyone we have running complex WR type things.  Ours simply aren't of that Marshall Faulk skillset.  Our WR's, though, all have pretty great characteristics.  Let's let them do WR things and let our RBs do RB things.

Just now, vegas492 said:

We don't have a Marshall Faulk type player on the roster.  Scheming plays as if we do is a mistake.

here's an interesting note I came across:

Warren Sharp of analytics fame is a big fan of the mismatch between RBs and the defenders tasked with covering them, especially on early downs
He said the delta in skills levels between LBs/Safeties and the RBs is greater than the delta in skill levels between a WR and a CB