2019 Green Bay Packers offseason - OTAs/minicamps

Shanedorf

15 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

from Packer Report

"I wrote about this the other day. Over the last five seasons, the Packers are 29th in receptions by RBs."

Pretty much knew that already...but...I wonder where they are in yards, not receptions.  

The reception number by the Titans last year is not something I think we will get to...but the yardage I think is within reason.

I don't recall Jones having soft or "natural" hands.  I seem to remember a few clunking off of the hands, but those were on screens when he had to catch, get his head around and determine where to go.  Maybe it is different if he doesn't need to swing his head right away.

I like the idea of motioning him out of an 11 alignment to see what the 'backers are doing.  Like you posted and the article said, on early downs.  I think given a few good quick routes, he could be a weapon.

13 hours ago, deathstar said:

I appreciate @vegas492‘s knowledge but what he wrote doesn’t pertain to what Sharpe wrote. A large part of gameplanning is finding mismatches. If you line up an average RB on your average LB or safety, they’re going to be better at route running than the defender is at coverage. Better than an average WR will be against an average CB. What Sharpe is pointing out is that there’s an edge there for smart gameplanners - and you just have to look at how Chicago used Cohen last year to see it.

Cohen is super fast and quick, but he’s not running any fancy routes here. Just good game planning exploiting mismatches.

I think I posted about that...from the little NFL I saw outside of GB, Cohen is one of those RB's who has a natural gift for running routes and catching passes.  The two I mentioned with Cohen and Kamara.  I'm sure there are more, but those are the two that I saw multiple times...and they were good enough to make an impression on me.

I don't see anyone on the Packer roster that has those kinds of traits in the passing game.  Now, if GB had a Cohen?  Yah, for sure, get him out there on routes and let's see what happens, but in the little I got to see Jones try it (last year), he looked very uncoordinated and his hands did not match his feet or head.  It just wasn't natural to him.  And forget about Williams in that kind of role.  Freely admit that Jones should have the athletic ability and maybe reps will help.

And yes to getting Jones out on very early downs to see if the run stopping MLB goes with him.  Should be an advantage as long as they keep the routes very simple and not complex "read" routes that WR's run.

Yesterday marks the end of OTA and minicamps for the 2019 Packers, now they get a break until end of July
Here's hoping they all manage to avoid the Blue Meanies during their free time

s5crovxj15mrzhi1or8d.jpg

Edited by Shanedorf

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think I posted about that...from the little NFL I saw outside of GB, Cohen is one of those RB's who has a natural gift for running routes and catching passes.  The two I mentioned with Cohen and Kamara.  I'm sure there are more, but those are the two that I saw multiple times...and they were good enough to make an impression on me.

I don't see anyone on the Packer roster that has those kinds of traits in the passing game.  Now, if GB had a Cohen?  Yah, for sure, get him out there on routes and let's see what happens, but in the little I got to see Jones try it (last year), he looked very uncoordinated and his hands did not match his feet or head.  It just wasn't natural to him.  And forget about Williams in that kind of role.  Freely admit that Jones should have the athletic ability and maybe reps will help.

And yes to getting Jones out on very early downs to see if the run stopping MLB goes with him.  Should be an advantage as long as they keep the routes very simple and not complex "read" routes that WR's run.

I believe that a lack of practice did not help Jones or Williams properly demonstrate their receiving abilities. For context Jones had 71 receptions and Williams had 60 receptions in college. Catching the ball isn't something that's foreign to them, it's just something that McCarthy didn't value at all in his running backs and thus didn't devote much time at all to them practicing it. Matt Waldman had Jones as his top receiving back in the draft for the year he came out: https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/04/18/rsp-film-room-no-110-rb-aaron-jones-utep/

It's a long video but pretty informative. I honestly believe there's a whole dimension to our running backs' games that we haven't even seen yet.

• Like 2

I follow a lot of Packers via twitter and instagram, and maybe some of it has to do with social media being more popular now, but there definitely seems to be more of a connection between players than there has been in years past. Bowling, going out to eat, golfing, PBR rodeo, charities, Bucks games, road trips etc. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I follow a lot of Packers via twitter and instagram, and maybe some of it has to do with social media being more popular now, but there definitely seems to be more of a connection between players than there has been in years past. Bowling, going out to eat, golfing, PBR rodeo, charities, Bucks games, road trips etc. 

100%. ton of good content out there on their instagram. Even Rodgers was mixing it up on the paintball course today. good stuff. the little things like this are what make a team a team.

• Like 1