2019 Green Bay Packers offseason - OTAs/minicamps

Shanedorf

2 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

They did ***** shooting like every single year. I can't think of a lamer thing to do than go ***** shooting 

Well, that particular shooting sport is like the worst choice.  S***t shooting drove me nuts as a perfectionist, since every target I miss is 100% my fault.  While I prefer double trap, people who aren't serious about it can have a good time doing sporting clays (it's golf with a shotgun).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-most-improved-secondaries-for-2019

MostImprovedSecondaries_GB-768x432.png

Enter the reinforcements. A year after drafting Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson early in the 2018 draft, the Packers got back to using assets to acquire promising secondary talent over the last few months. Adrian Amos is one of those pieces, and in our opinion, one of the best values of free agency. He’s coming off two consecutive seasons grading among the top 10 safeties in the league and was downgraded in PFF’s grading system at the third-lowest rate among all safeties last year. Joining him is Maryland product Darnell Savage, who the Packers took with the 21st overall pick in this year’s draft. Savage is a versatile weapon on the back end that is coming off two consecutive seasons that graded at 86.0 or higher at the college level. His explosion to the ball drew comparisons to former Defensive Player of the Year Bob Sanders by PFF Senior Analyst Sam Monson.

With those two in the fold in Green Bay, the back end of the Packers defense looks significantly stronger as they look to return to the postseason in 2019.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-green-bay-would-be-smart-to-keep-mike-daniels-under-contract-in-2019

Mike Daniels had a down year last season by his standards, producing an overall grade of 71.3 and playing just 419 snaps after sustaining a season-ending foot injury against the Seattle Seahawks in Week 11. While Daniels was lackluster in some respects, finishing five of his 10 games with a run-defense grade under 60.0, he was still one of the league’s best pass-rushers last season. He finished with a 78.5 pass-rush grade and pass-rushing productivity of 7.3, which rank 9th and 6th among qualifying interior defensive linemen, respectively. His 17.4% pass-rush win rate when shaded or head up on the guards ranked 6th among qualifiers, as well.

Daniels was also one of the league’s best when the pressure was at its highest, utterly dominating as a pass-rusher in the fourth quarter. His pass-rush win percentage of 21.2% in the fourth quarter was the third-highest among DIs with at least 30 pass-rush attempts in the fourth quarter last year. Daniels also produced a pass-rush grade of 76.6 in the fourth quarter, which was the 12th-highest mark among qualifiers at his position.

Edited by Shanedorf

The NFL's prototypical defensive linemen for each DL technique heading into 2019

0-1-technique – Kenny Clark

A few years ago this would have hands down been Damon Harrison. However, the rise of the passing game has forced even nose tackles to up their game in the pass-rush, and no one affects the pass better between the guards than the Packers nose tackle. Last season, Clark’s 91.5 pass-rush grade from 0- or 1-technique was the tops of any player in the NFL. Oh, and he wasn’t too shabby against the run either, as his 90.8 run-defense grade trailed only Big Snacks. As a 20-year-old at UCLA, Clark earned the most bull-rush pressures of any interior player in the nation. Now only 23(!), Clark is doing the same against grown men at the highest level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-prototypical-defensive-linemen-for-each-dl-technique-heading-into-2019

• Like 2

18 hours ago, deathstar said:

I believe that a lack of practice did not help Jones or Williams properly demonstrate their receiving abilities. For context Jones had 71 receptions and Williams had 60 receptions in college. Catching the ball isn't something that's foreign to them, it's just something that McCarthy didn't value at all in his running backs and thus didn't devote much time at all to them practicing it. Matt Waldman had Jones as his top receiving back in the draft for the year he came out: https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/04/18/rsp-film-room-no-110-rb-aaron-jones-utep/

It's a long video but pretty informative. I honestly believe there's a whole dimension to our running backs' games that we haven't even seen yet.

When I think of RB who are good route runners and catchers of the ball in routes, I think of smooth players.  Silky.  As in Marshall Faulk type players.  Guys who are just superior athletes and tend to almost glide out there.

I see none of that with Williams.  He's a tough SOB whose strength is his power.  Sorry, but I don't see him running WR type routes.  I can see him catching screens and dump offs.

Aaron Jones has more of that natural athletic ability.  My viewpoint on him is skewed just a little because in my mind, I remember him letting a few passes doink off of his facemask.  Again, those were screens and much tougher catches as he had to catch and turn his body at the same time.  Maybe he's got some natural receiver in him.  And maybe reps will bring it out.

I'll end with this point, which I don't think I summed up too well in the past few posts.  If our offense is going to driven by RB's running WR routes, we are in trouble.  If our second leading receiver (catches) is a RB, we will not have a top 20 offense.  We've got too many good WR's and TE's to be doing something like this.  As a gimmick every now and then?  Sure.  No problem with that.  But if motioning Williams out into routes becomes what we do as a gameplan, well, to me that is a bad gameplan.  Insert Jones for Williams and now it isn't as bad...but I'm still not for it.

As far as the Matt Waldman video goes...I think when Jones came out, Christian McCaffrey was in that draft.   I seem to recall that year...Kareem Hunt was in that class.  Kamara and Cohen.  Top of my head I swear they came out in the same year.  Any analyst who stated that Jones would be the best pass catcher of the RB class was really off or trying to get clicks.  McCaffrey was amazing at it in college and showed very high end receiving skills at the combine.  ....If those guys were in that draft...and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm 99% sure they were in the same draft class.

13 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The NFL's prototypical defensive linemen for each DL technique heading into 2019

0-1-technique – Kenny Clark

A few years ago this would have hands down been Damon Harrison. However, the rise of the passing game has forced even nose tackles to up their game in the pass-rush, and no one affects the pass better between the guards than the Packers nose tackle. Last season, Clark’s 91.5 pass-rush grade from 0- or 1-technique was the tops of any player in the NFL. Oh, and he wasn’t too shabby against the run either, as his 90.8 run-defense grade trailed only Big Snacks. As a 20-year-old at UCLA, Clark earned the most bull-rush pressures of any interior player in the nation. Now only 23(!), Clark is doing the same against grown men at the highest level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-prototypical-defensive-linemen-for-each-dl-technique-heading-into-2019

trousers

53 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If our offense is going to driven by RB's running WR routes, we are in trouble.  If our second leading receiver (catches) is a RB, we will not have a top 20 offense.

that's a bit of a strawman argument from my view. You took a simple comment about getting the RBs more involved in the passing game and took it to an illogical conclusion - and then suggested the Packers are "doing it wrong" as a result of that erroneous conclusion.

Here's the original tweet -

"An early trend for the Matt LaFleur offense is how involved RBs seem to be in the passing game. #Packers using tailbacks all over the formation and dedicating drills to fundamentals of receiving. Could be a way to get more touches for Aaron Jones. "