2019 Green Bay Packers offseason - OTAs/minicamps

Shanedorf

12 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The Packers need King healthy to start his third – and most important – season. “He’s a long, fast corner who can make plays on the football.
He’s definitely an important part for us moving forward,” coach Matt LaFleur said.

^^ ( understatement)

usatsi_10378052-e1512665775567.jpg?w=100

i have been pretty impressed with a healthy kevin king.  just need that man to stay healthy!

Jimmy Graham comments via The Athletic

Traditionally, this has been a time when D. Adams and J. Graham worked off to the side with their position coaches. Anything to sharpen their skills during what amounts to a small dose of downtime. But Graham broke from that pattern Tuesday for a period of personalized instruction with LaFleur, offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, quarterbacks coach Luke Getsy and the four quarterbacks on the 90-man roster.

With the offensive brain trust watching, Graham ran route after route from various alignments within invisible formations and took turns catching passes from Aaron Rodgers, DeShone Kizer, Tim Boyle and Manny Wilkins. Hackett and Getsy critiqued his route running after every play.

For all of the skepticism surrounding the organization’s decision to retain Graham for another season, the individual attention he received Tuesday reflected LaFleur’s commitment to feature him in this year’s offense. The Packers still view Graham as a legitimate weapon alongside Adams and tailback Aaron Jones.

“It’s interesting,” Gutekunst said at the annual league meetings in March. “I’ve heard the comments of him not being a blocker, but if you really go back and look at the tape, he did a nice job as a blocker for us last year, much more than people would understand unless you watch the tape.

“He’s a hall of fame-type talent. He probably didn’t have the year he was quite expecting last year, but he still was a pretty productive player for us. He battled through some things and that’s a sign of his professionalism. There were some things a lot of players wouldn’t play through. He did. I thought he was really good for our locker room and I expect big things from him this year.”

• Like 1

Consider the last three slot receivers used most frequently in LaFleur-involved offenses: Mohamed Sanu, Cooper Kupp and Tajae Sharpe.

Sanu is 6-2 and ran 4.67.   Kupp is 6-2 and ran 4.62.   Sharpe is 6-2 and ran 4.55.

Allison is 6-3 and ran 4.67.

LaFleur’s offense doesn’t require the traditional mold of a slot receiver. It just needs an intelligent player, and Allison fits the mold.

“I think a slot, especially with what we want to do, has to have some good instincts, and really you want a smart player that you can call choice routes with and it takes smart players to do that,” LaFleur said.  Allison is a sponge for information and a diligent worker, molded by three years of sharing a room with the likes of Jordy Nelson, Cobb and Davante Adams. He’s tough and sure-handed, and he’s earned himself the trust of quarterback Aaron Rodgers with day-to-day consistency and the reliability needed in the next Packers slot receiver.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Consider the last three slot receivers used most frequently in LaFleur-involved offenses: Mohamed Sanu, Cooper Kupp and Tajae Sharpe.

Sanu is 6-2 and ran 4.67.   Kupp is 6-2 and ran 4.62.   Sharpe is 6-2 and ran 4.55.

Allison is 6-3 and ran 4.67.

LaFleur’s offense doesn’t require the traditional mold of a slot receiver. It just needs an intelligent player, and Allison fits the mold.

“I think a slot, especially with what we want to do, has to have some good instincts, and really you want a smart player that you can call choice routes with and it takes smart players to do that,” LaFleur said.  Allison is a sponge for information and a diligent worker, molded by three years of sharing a room with the likes of Jordy Nelson, Cobb and Davante Adams. He’s tough and sure-handed, and he’s earned himself the trust of quarterback Aaron Rodgers with day-to-day consistency and the reliability needed in the next Packers slot receiver.

music to @Cadmus's ears

15 hours ago, deathstar said:

Allison could blow up if he stays on the field. Big if though.

I think so as well .. he was well on his way to having a breakout season in 2018 before the injury.  Rodgers loves the guy, and GMO seems to have plenty of gameday speed .. he's able to gain separation regularly.

14 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

How about a little Tim Boyle film ?

Cut ups from last years' preseason. If his WRs could catch, he'd be looking even better, but he can certainly spin a ball.
I'd like to see him beat out Kizer this August

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JKLvXmctwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aMRzhRlHbM

My favorite part of Preseason is watching the backup QBs just go balls to the wall because every game is like their Super Bowl.

• Like 2

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-looking-for-areas-of-expertise-at-receiver

Following Tuesday’s open OTA practice, LaFleur explained his view of putting together a wide receiver corps. He likened it to “filling out a basketball roster,” for which the preference is to have a diverse set of skills in the group that the coaches can draw upon with their offensive play designs and calls.

"So while a common question over the past couple of months has been who will replace departed free agent Randall Cobb in the slot, the answer might be no one and everyone at the same time.
“It’s more concept-driven, not necessarily slot versus outside receiver,” LaFleur said. “Are you asking the guy to run a choice route, or are you asking him to take the top off and run a vertical route?” By “choice route,” LaFleur means a route within which the receiver has options for what to do and where to go, depending on the defensive coverage.  It’s the type of route where the quarterback and receiver must see the field the same way and “be on the same page,”

Based on that last comment, Adams and Allison would be most in sync with AR going into the season and best fits for the slot/choice routes

“I didn’t have to tell him after the season,” Pettine said of Gutekunst regarding the team’s personnel holes at the outside linebacker position. “(Gutekunst) knew what the deficiencies were and certainly wanted to add some big, explosive athletes on defense and he did that.”

For his part, Pettine, whose staff was given a list of players to evaluate during the free agency and draft process, said there’s a deeper understanding, or what he calls “education” between coach and general manager. To that end, both coach and manager, according to Pettine, seemed to have a better sense of what each other was looking for heading into April

“The more you’re together there’s just an understanding the type of player you’re looking for,” Pettine said.

usatsi_11000797-e1546987231627.jpg?w=100

On 5/23/2019 at 5:58 PM, JBURGE said:

music to @Cadmus's ears

I don't hate Allison. 

I just am under the (correct) impression that the team will be in better shape if two of the 2nd year WRs are the ones occupying the spots on the depth chart behind Adams. 

20 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

How about a little Tim Boyle film ?

Cut ups from last years' preseason. If his WRs could catch, he'd be looking even better, but he can certainly spin a ball.
I'd like to see him beat out Kizer this August

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JKLvXmctwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aMRzhRlHbM

I love his deep balls, but he had some pretty ugly throws as well, some to receivers that weren't close. Clean some of those throws up and maybe he unseats Kizer as the number 2 guy. That is if Kizer just doesn't improve from last year.