Jump to content
Shanedorf

2019 Green Bay Packers offseason - OTAs/minicamps

Recommended Posts

I hope Gary exceeds CMIII,  but just is shorts right now which means exactly squat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to those of you who have posted tweets, links, and other bits from OTA today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Bill Huber via 247 Sports

– One staple of the Rams’ offense is tempo plays in which the offense sprints to the line and quickly runs the play. The Packers, especially with quarterback Aaron Rodgers, ran a lot of tempo plays on Wednesday.

“I think the more that you can change gears in terms of tempo on the defense, I think it just kind of keeps them a little bit off-balance. So, we’ll certainly mix in some of that stuff,” LaFleur said.

In the video below, check out some of the drills from Wednesday’s organized team activity. It was the fifth OTA of the spring for the Packers and the second open to reporters.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Quarterback-drills-at-Green-Bay-Packers-OTAs-132424497/

The video shows one of the new drills being run by first-year coach Matt LaFleur. It starts as a running play, with the quarterback tossing the ball to the back. However, as the quarterback carries out the bootleg action, he is tossed a ball so he can throw it to a receiver. It’s essentially two drills in one – a run-game drill for the back and a bootleg pass-game drill for the quarterback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

More from Bill Huber via 247 Sports

“I like to tease Aaron Jones from time to time,” Rodgers said on April 23. “He’s the most athletic, fast guy with a little bit of a belly.
He’s pretty lean this year.”

Pretty lean, indeed. Even though he leads the NFL in yards per carry since entering the league in 2017, Jones went to work this offseason in remaking his body. According to Jones, he’s cut his body fat from 11-plus percent to 5.3 percent.

Jones says he’s running stronger and faster than ever. At the 2017 Combine, he ran his 40 in 4.56 seconds. He figures he’s faster now, meaning his barrage of 10-yard runs – he owns the second-highest 10-yard run rate the past two seasons – could become long touchdown runs. “It’s not going to happen,” Jones said of being caught from behind.   “Yes, sir, it’s not going to happen anymore.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Slimmer-Aaron-Jones-132426491/

Edited by Shanedorf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot wait for this season to start. I’m excited to see this squad with a (mostly) new staff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

More from Bill Huber via 247 Sports

“I like to tease Aaron Jones from time to time,” Rodgers said on April 23. “He’s the most athletic, fast guy with a little bit of a belly.
He’s pretty lean this year.”

Pretty lean, indeed. Even though he leads the NFL in yards per carry since entering the league in 2017, Jones went to work this offseason in remaking his body. According to Jones, he’s cut his body fat from 11-plus percent to 5.3 percent.

Jones says he’s running stronger and faster than ever. At the 2017 Combine, he ran his 40 in 4.56 seconds. He figures he’s faster now, meaning his barrage of 10-yard runs – he owns the second-highest 10-yard run rate the past two seasons – could become long touchdown runs. “It’s not going to happen,” Jones said of being caught from behind.   “Yes, sir, it’s not going to happen anymore.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Slimmer-Aaron-Jones-132426491/

I though Aaron Jones looked more rocked up from following him on IG.

Also, has Sternberger even been signed yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

More from Bill Huber via 247 Sports

“I like to tease Aaron Jones from time to time,” Rodgers said on April 23. “He’s the most athletic, fast guy with a little bit of a belly.
He’s pretty lean this year.”

Pretty lean, indeed. Even though he leads the NFL in yards per carry since entering the league in 2017, Jones went to work this offseason in remaking his body. According to Jones, he’s cut his body fat from 11-plus percent to 5.3 percent.

Jones says he’s running stronger and faster than ever. At the 2017 Combine, he ran his 40 in 4.56 seconds. He figures he’s faster now, meaning his barrage of 10-yard runs – he owns the second-highest 10-yard run rate the past two seasons – could become long touchdown runs. “It’s not going to happen,” Jones said of being caught from behind.   “Yes, sir, it’s not going to happen anymore.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Slimmer-Aaron-Jones-132426491/

This is so stupid. If Aaron Jones showed up to camp at 5% body fat, we have a ton of problems.

1. Nobody has a gut at 11 percent body fat. You are carved out at 11 percent body fat.

2. Nobody over 230 pounds should be lower than 9 percent body fat playing in the NFL. MAYBE some WRs and DBs couldd play that low. 

3. 5% booty fat is idiotically low. It's not even healthy for like ultra marathoners, to say nothing of a guy regularly getting hit. 

4. Maintaining 2 pound of weight loss every week is about the max you can healthily take off (and I am skeptical that anyone would even hit that mark it they started at 11 percent). Of those 2 pounds that you will lose, .5 pounds will be lean muscle.

Best case scenario, it would take him about 2 months to make that happen, and that's 2 months where that would be his only fitness goal. It would also take him trimming down to 190 pounds. And it wouldn't be a strong 190 after 2 months of calorie deficiency.

5. Then you would have 3 months to get back up to 205ish while maintaining your ratio. Putting on 15 pounds and maintaing like a 20% ratio was an absolutely incredible full off-season for 300lb Bakhtiari. Putting 15 pounds on while maintaining a 5% ratio in 3 months at 200lbs, just isn't possible, maybe if you had some unbelievable HGH.

In conclusion, every body fat measurement reported to the press is moronic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This is so stupid. If Aaron Jones showed up to camp at 5% body fat, we have a ton of problems.

1. Nobody has a gut at 11 percent body fat. You are carved out at 11 percent body fat.

2. Nobody over 230 pounds should be lower than 9 percent body fat playing in the NFL. MAYBE some WRs and DBs couldd play that low. 

3. 5% booty fat is idiotically low. It's not even healthy for like ultra marathoners, to say nothing of a guy regularly getting hit. 

4. Maintaining 2 pound of weight loss every week is about the max you can healthily take off (and I am skeptical that anyone would even hit that mark it they started at 11 percent). Of those 2 pounds that you will lose, .5 pounds will be lean muscle.

Best case scenario, it would take him about 2 months to make that happen, and that's 2 months where that would be his only fitness goal. It would also take him trimming down to 190 pounds. And it wouldn't be a strong 190 after 2 months of calorie deficiency.

5. Then you would have 3 months to get back up to 205ish while maintaining your ratio. Putting on 15 pounds and maintaing like a 20% ratio was an absolutely incredible full off-season for 300lb Bakhtiari. Putting 15 pounds on while maintaining a 5% ratio in 3 months at 200lbs, just isn't possible, maybe if you had some unbelievable HGH.

In conclusion, every body fat measurement reported to the press is moronic.

I don't disagree with you that this is a stupid and perhaps ignorantly reported topic by football reporters. I also don't think playing at a super low body fat is smart for a football player like him because he isn't a big guy and has been hurt.

However, Plenty of people are below 11% body fat and aren't unhealthy. I don't think ultra marathoners/ endurance athletes are even the only comparison. Lots of body builders are well below 11% body fat ( I'm aware they may be using some stuff to get there)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren't there reports of Le'Veon Bell having like 2% body fat a couple of years ago?

:D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

upywkhzjqrkvb7zrdisg.jpg

I think football may be more fun in the NFL for JW than it was for him at BYU. Happy young man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From The Athletic

Josh Jones’ best chance at earning snaps might have been at the hybrid inside linebacker position that has belonged to the likes of Morgan Burnett and Jermaine Whitehead the last few years. It was there that Jones’ tremendous speed and athletic ability were most dangerous alongside starter Blake Martinez.

On Wednesday, the Packers entrusted former undrafted rookie Raven Greene to play the hybrid safety-linebacker position. He spent time playing with Martinez and the starting defense during 11-on-11 drills.

Though Greene is listed at 5 foot 11 and 197 pounds, he arrived in Green Bay for offseason workouts with plenty of extra muscle through his upper body
“I just really like to work hard in the weight room,” Greene said. “And being that I couldn’t work legs for a really long time, it just balanced out that way.”

The coaches were excited about Greene’s progress and potential prior to the injury last season. And now Jones’ absence creates an opening as the No. 3 safety behind Amos and Savage.

USATSI_10892196.jpg
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More from The Athletic

In addition to kicking Z. Smith inside, the Packers are exploring first-round pick Rashan Gary’s versatility as well. Gary (6-5, 277 pounds)
and Smith (6-4, 272 pounds) have similar builds and look like mirror images at times. Defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery, who works with Smith and Gary when they play along the line of scrimmage, experimented with having both of them rush from the interior at the same time, laying the groundwork for some of the stunts and twists Pettine adores.

“(Pettine) knows every individual player’s strengths,” Smith said. “In certain situations, to kick a guy like me inside and probably Rashan also, to be able to do the little things like that, I feel like he’s doing a great job at it. … Right now, we’re both on the same side. I’m teaching (Gary) some little things about the two-point stance. I know that’s something that he probably hasn’t been doing. It’s keying in on the little things and doing the technique right.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

From PackersWire:

“I’m just excited to be out there this year. [LaFleur] is going to marry the run and the pass game up. We’re going to rely on the run,” Jones said at his locker Wednesday.

last fall, former Packer Ryan Grant revealed that during his time in Washington, the Redskins spent more time in one practice on the running game than the Packers did in an entire week of preparation under McCarthy.

Oddly enough, LaFleur was the quarterbacks coach during Grant’s time in Washington in 2012. LaFleur will undoubtedly adopt a similar style to what former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan employed; an outside zone-heavy running scheme.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/30/packers-rb-aaron-jones-sheds-light-on-more-balanced-offense-in-2019/

Edited by Shanedorf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't disagree with you that this is a stupid and perhaps ignorantly reported topic by football reporters. I also don't think playing at a super low body fat is smart for a football player like him because he isn't a big guy and has been hurt.

However, Plenty of people are below 11% body fat and aren't unhealthy. I don't think ultra marathoners/ endurance athletes are even the only comparison. Lots of body builders are well below 11% body fat ( I'm aware they may be using some stuff to get there)

Being below 11 percent body fat is fine, if you're a body builder or an endurance runner, but if you're any kind of athlete playing an explosive sport, that's not where you should be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×