MKnight82's Top 20 Most Talented Redskins of 2019 - #1 & 2 Up

MKnight82

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh ok, I guess I did read it wrong. So basically you’re going with the “this guy could be better if he develops to be as good as the other guy,” instead of the guy who’s currently better, more consistent, is also still young and can improve as well?

You can develop better technique at 22.  You can't develop better athleticism at 24.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

You can develop better technique at 22.  You can't develop better athleticism at 24.

Personally, I think both guys coming from Alabama they both are pretty much developed and are what they will be in the NFL.

I think Allen is the better football player, being a slightly better athlete w/ a faster 40 like Payne has only gets you so far in the NFL hence, why I have Allen as the better player and more important player to this team.

IMO Allen has supplanted event TWill as the teams best player and most important player.

Edited by turtle28

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Personally, I think both guys coming from Alabama they both are pretty much developed and are what they will be in the NFL.

I think Allen is the better football player, being a slightly better athlete w/ a faster 40 like Payne has only gets you so far in the NFL hence, why I have Allen as the better player and more important player to this team.

IMO Allen has supplanted event TWill as the teams best player and most important player.

Strongly disagree that Payne is “what he will be” in the NFL. On a weight-adjusted basis (which is what matters), Payne is the much better athlete.  And Alabama or not, at 22 yrs old, there’s still plenty for him to learn technique-wise. 

Payne is still good technique- wise, but he’s not elite. That takes experience, and experience gets you to Hicks’ level:

• Like 1

Been awhile since I've been on the forum but I always look forward to these lists to get us through the slow season. I can get on board with this whole list but I do agree with others that right now and even projecting into the 2019 season, Allen over Payne. Great list though.  I'd probably have Paul Richardson and Vernon over some players here (Foster and Doctson) but thats it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeanTaylorsaPIMP said:

Been awhile since I've been on the forum but I always look forward to these lists to get us through the slow season. I can get on board with this whole list but I do agree with others that right now and even projecting into the 2019 season, Allen over Payne. Great list though.  I'd probably have Paul Richardson and Vernon over some players here (Foster and Doctson) but thats it.

I considered both, but I don't trust Richardson to stay on the field.  Vernon is a backup, Mason Foster while limited physically still led the team in tackles last year.  Hard not to put him on the list.  

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I considered both, but I don't trust Richardson to stay on the field.  Vernon is a backup, Mason Foster while limited physically still led the team in tackles last year.  Hard not to put him on the list.  

That’s right bc in 5 years PRich has had a torn ACL & broken clavicle that cost him two seasons & he missed 30 games to injury out of a possible 87, outside of the can you point me to this injury prone myth...????

He hasn't even gotten injured as much as Reed in his career or CT, but bc he had two major injuries that cost him most of those seasons, first his ACL tear in his rookie 2014 season and last year in his first year for us when he missed 9 games behe broke his clavicle, I guess he's injury prone...

My opinion is ppl just love to throw that narrative around if a player gets hurt once or twice but it really doesn't fit w/ Prich.

2014: 16 games played, missed one in the regular season and tore his ACL in the 2015 playoff game he played in

2015: only played 1 game bc of torn ACL 

2016: 17 games (15 regular season) played including 2 playoff games

2017: 16 games played

2018: 7 games played, played those games w/ broken clavicle & was still our best WR in those 7 games

PRich should definitely be on this list and Vernon should be too, just be he's our back up TE doesn't mean he's not better than some of our starters and Vernon plays close to starter snaps bc we run a lot of 2 TE sets.

My list, I'll do a top 25, I don’t understand why we're doing top 20 when we have 22 started and a handful of others who get near starter reps.

1. Jon Allen 

2. Trent Williams

3. Ryan Kerrigan

4. Brandon Scherff

5. Landon Collins

6. Da’Ron Payne

7. Adrian Peterson

8. Jordan Reed

9. Matt Ioannidis

10. Josh Norman

11. Vernon Davis

12. Morgan Moses

14. Chris Thompson

15. Quinton Dunbar

16. Paul Richardson 

17. Josh Doctson 

18. Montez Sweat

19. Derrius Guice

20. Chase Roullier

21. Case Keenum

22. Mason Foster

23. Fabian Moreau

24. Montae Nicholson

25. Jon Bostic

Edited by turtle28

• 1 month later...

#2 - LT Trent Williams

otb-trent-williams.jpg

To be fair I started this thread before his holdout was making big news.  Also, despite being #1 every year I've done this list I was already planning on him being #2 on this year's list (I create the entire list before I post #20).  Also sorry for the delayed completion of this but with my son being born things have been a little hectic.  

Trent Williams is still one of the Redskins top players.  I believe that his play took a dip last year, but that could have been injuries just piling up or him starting to lose focus as he finally starting giving up on this pathetic franchise.  Despite that, he started 13 games and made another Pro Bowl.  He just turned 31 last month, and probably has a solid 4 years remaining in his career.  Will those be with Washington?  

#1 - OLB Ryan Kerrigan

ryan-kerrigan.jpg

Ryan Kerrigan is the best football player the Redskins have for this upcoming season.  His 84.5 career sacks for the Redskins is 2nd all time behind only Dexter Manley's 91.0.  Unlike a lot of guys on this list he's incredibly consistent, starting every game of his career (128 straight games).  He's a 4 time Pro Bowler, and I'm hoping with the upgraded pass rushers we've added to the front 7 he might make a push for his first All Pro selection this year.  

• Like 2

Out of our top 10 players, the top 2 are at an age where decline can happen at any time.  The third wants to get paid, and it's hard to justify that much money for an offensive guard.  #7 and #8 may not be here after next year, and are like the first two as far as age goes. 

I have a not-so-strange feeling that things are going to get worse before they get better.  In the NFl, you can only patchwork so much until age really becomes a factor, and we're close to that point. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Out of our top 10 players, the top 2 are at an age where decline can happen at any time.  The third wants to get paid, and it's hard to justify that much money for an offensive guard.  #7 and #8 may not be here after next year, and are like the first two as far as age goes. 

I have a not-so-strange feeling that things are going to get worse before they get better.  In the NFl, you can only patchwork so much until age really becomes a factor, and we're close to that point. 

That is true, but the good thing is that we have a lot of young developing talent and we'll add a few more next year. There's a chance Guice, Quinn and McLaurin and/or Sims break out this year as well as Sweat, SDH and one or 2 of our DBs. If that happens this year or next then our team will look solid. Also, Haskins could be ready to be the start er next year too.

1. Adrian Peterson - He was the team's best player last year and I know age is a huge factor but until someone knocks him down from this spot he's the only team's superstar (and HoF) type player. Albeit a very old one.

2. Ryan Kerrigan - He's underrated by even his own fans. I have no arguments from MKnight on his #1 player.

3. Trent Williams - Obviously this holdout will suck.

4.  Jordan Reed - He has elite talent but can he put aside his injury concerns?

5.  Da'Ron Payne - Pretty amazing what he did as a rookie.

6.  Jonathan Allen - Him and Payne are neck and neck really.

7.  Landon Collins - Hopefully he has a good transition.

8. Brandon Scherff - He might be a little overrated by fans, but is still a good to great player and he should definitely be given an extension!

9.  Case Keenum - He's obviously being overshadowed by Haskins right now but if he plays like he did with the Vikings we could be a playoff team.

10. Greg Stroman - This will be my first ranking that raises some eyebrows but Stroman was a bright spot last year. He has good size and is capable of causing some turnovers. He could be Josh Norman's replacement sooner than later.

11. Matt Ioannidis - Not much to say about him, solid player.

12. Josh Norman - I wouldn't describe him as a good player but more of a solid one. And for a corner-back that is not too bad. He has play-making ability.

13. Quinton Dunbar - The team didn't really miss Breeland last year and he was a big reason why. At least for some of the season.

14.  Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie - I'm not sure if he can hold up for his age and transition to another team. But he is talented with a lot of experience. He could definitely surprise some fans this year.

15.  Paul Richarson - It should be interesting if he can rebound from injury and put together a full season. I think he might be able to show what he can do with a QB other than Alex Smith.

16. Deshazor Everett  - He's a role player who is projected for a starter role this season. He is under the radar for sure.

17. Morgan Moses - He is probably overrated by most fans because he was a homegrown pick and that big contract we gave him.

18. Josh Doctson - This is probably his final year to show something

19. Chase Roullier - He has been a nice find and hopefully he can improve this year but I'm not sure if he is talented enough.

20. Vernon Davis - It's at the point where it is tough finding guys deserving of the list. I think Vernon has seen better days personally.

Who missed the list: Fabian Moreau ,Chris Thompson, Dion Hamilton

I didn't include rookies because I didn't feel like projecting them.

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, taylor made said:

1. Adrian Peterson - He was the team's best player last year and I know age is a huge factor but until someone knocks him down from this spot he's the only team's superstar (and HoF) type player. Albeit a very old one.

2. Ryan Kerrigan - He's underrated by even his own fans. I have no arguments from MKnight on his #1 player.

3. Trent Williams - Obviously this holdout will suck.

4.  Jordan Reed - He has elite talent but can he put aside his injury concerns?

5.  Da'Ron Payne - Pretty amazing what he did as a rookie.

6.  Jonathan Allen - Him and Payne are neck and neck really.

7.  Landon Collins - Hopefully he has a good transition.

8. Brandon Scherff - He might be a little overrated by fans, but is still a good to great player and he should definitely be given an extension!

9.  Case Keenum - He's obviously being overshadowed by Haskins right now but if he plays like he did with the Vikings we could be a playoff team.

10. Greg Stroman - This will be my first ranking that raises some eyebrows but Stroman was a bright spot last year. He has good size and is capable of causing some turnovers. He could be Josh Norman's replacement sooner than later.

11. Matt Ioannidis - Not much to say about him, solid player.

12. Josh Norman - I wouldn't describe him as a good player but more of a solid one. And for a corner-back that is not too bad. He has play-making ability.

13. Quinton Dunbar - The team didn't really miss Breeland last year and he was a big reason why. At least for some of the season.

14.  Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie - I'm not sure if he can hold up for his age and transition to another team. But he is talented with a lot of experience. He could definitely surprise some fans this year.

15.  Paul Richarson - It should be interesting if he can rebound from injury and put together a full season. I think he might be able to show what he can do with a QB other than Alex Smith.

16. Deshazor Everett  - He's a role player who is projected for a starter role this season. He is under the radar for sure.

17. Morgan Moses - He is probably overrated by most fans because he was a homegrown pick and that big contract we gave him.

18. Josh Doctson - This is probably his final year to show something

19. Chase Roullier - He has been a nice find and hopefully he can improve this year but I'm not sure if he is talented enough.

20. Vernon Davis - It's at the point where it is tough finding guys deserving of the list. I think Vernon has seen better days personally.

Who missed the list: Fabian Moreau ,Chris Thompson, Dion Hamilton

I didn't include rookies because I didn't feel like projecting them.

I think you have a point about Peterson and Reed. Age and injury history shouldn't hurt what the players are when they're out there. Good list.