Jump to content
MKnight82

MKnight82's Top 20 Most Talented Redskins of 2019 - #5 & 6 Up

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I do this thread every year during the offseason when there isn't much else to talk about.  This will be my 5th year in a row doing this list.  You can see the previous years here: 

2018 

2017

2016

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=578770 

2015

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=566620

 

Let's take a look at last year's list and see how I did.  Remember these are projections made during the summer before any training camp battles (or injuries) play out, so they can be very hit or miss.  I'm not going to go through every player because I want to save some of the analysis for my write-ups, but I'll touch on the ones I think most relevant:

2018 List (LAST YEAR'S LIST)

1. LT Trent Williams 

2. OLB Ryan Kerrigan 

3. CB Josh Norman - Didn't live up to this billing last year.  Injuries (and my opinion poor gameplans) limited his effectiveness last year.  

4. OG Brandon Scherff

5.  MLB Zach Brown - plummeted after a good first season.  I was projecting him to take another step forward but he took several steps back instead.  

6.  RT Morgan Moses

7.  TE Jordan Reed

8. S DJ Swearinger - Was a top 5 player on our team last season, cut because he badmouthed the crappy front office.  

9. DE Jonathan Allen

10. WR Jamison Crowder

11.  HB Chris Thompson

12. DT Da'Ron Payne

13. TE Vernon Davis

14. QB Alex Smith

15. OLB Preston Smith

16. DE Matt Ioannidis - Performed above this ranking IMO and earned himself a new contract.  

17. HB Derrius Guice - I didn't know he would tear his ACL. 

18. WR Josh Doctson

19. OC Chase Roullier

20. S Montae Nicholson

 

Honorable Mentions:

WR Paul Richardson

CB Fabian Moreau

 

The rest I think you could argue would land within 5 spots of where I had them (in either direction).  Everyone has their own opinion though.  

Edited by MKnight82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

2019 Top 20 List

1. 

2. 

3. 

4. 

5. S Landon Collins

6. DE Jonathan Allen

7. CB Josh Norman

8. HB Adrian Peterson

9. DE Matt Ioaniddis

10. RT Morgan Moses

11. OLB Montez Sweat

12. HB Chris Thompson

13. CB Quinton Dunbar

14. TE Jordan Reed

15. QB Dwayne Haskins

16. WR Josh Doctson

17.  OC Chase Roullier

18.  HB Derrius Guice

19. MLB Mason Foster

20. WR Terry McLaurin

 

HM

G Wes Martin

FS Montae Nicholson

 

Per usual I will post 2-3 per day till the end.  

 

Edited by MKnight82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

7.  TE Jordan Reed

...

14. QB Alex Smith

...

The rest I think you could argue would land within 5 spots of where I had them (in either direction).  Everyone has their own opinion though.  

Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Really?

It was a rough year.  I'm willing to listen to a rebuttal.  

Edited by MKnight82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

It was a rough year.  I'm willing to listen to a rebuttal.  

While Smith played the single most important position on the roster, at no point during the season was he one of the 20 most impactful people on said roster. Yes, you can argue that his wide receivers did not help, but he didn't elevate their play either. Yes, there were injuries to the corps, but there will always be injuries. He was a bottom quartile QB who directly caused two losses with his inability to understand the game situation/push the ball downfield.

Reed shouldn't be in the top ten anymore, just due to his injury history. However, I suppose he could have made the top 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Woz said:

While Smith played the single most important position on the roster, at no point during the season was he one of the 20 most impactful people on said roster. Yes, you can argue that his wide receivers did not help, but he didn't elevate their play either. Yes, there were injuries to the corps, but there will always be injuries. He was a bottom quartile QB who directly caused two losses with his inability to understand the game situation/push the ball downfield.

I'm not going to argue that Smith didn't suck (he did), the issue is you have to find 20 guys on the roster that had a better season than him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honorable Mention - G Wes Martin

Martin_01_0912_md.JPG

Wes Martin will likely start by default.  His only competition on the roster will likely be Ereck Flowers and fellow Rookie Ross Pierschbacher.  Martin has the size/strength advantage over Pierschbacher and Flowers has struggled for years, so IMO its Martin's job to lose.  Whether or not he will be a successful draft pick or not we probably won't know for several years.  I expect his strength will give us some boost in the running game right away, but he may struggle with pass protection early on.  A healthy Trent Williams to his left all season would certainly help his learning curve.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm not going to argue that Smith didn't suck (he did), the issue is you have to find 20 guys on the roster that had a better season than him.  

Part of the problem is that Smith's sucking pulled down other players as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honorable Mention - S Montae Nicholson

Montae-Nicholson.jpg

Nicholson falls to the HM category after coming in 20th last season.  He got benched last season after our genius GM decided to trade a 4th round pick for HHCD (who I'll say did have a tough assignment being forced to join a new defense midseason).  Then we decided to just let Clinton-Dix leave and did nothing to address the situation in free agency or the draft.  So we're back to Nicholson, who I 'd argue never needed to be replaced in the first place.  His primary job as deep centerfielder was to take away the deep ball and he was good at that.  We did struggle with passes in the middle of the field, but I blame the MLBs mostly for those issues.  That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if we either A) signed someone else between now and Game 1 that starts ahead of Nicholson, B) convert an existing player like Stroman or Alexander to FS who takes his job, or C) we start two of our SSs like Collins and Everett.  So who knows at this point.  I still think Nicholson is a good athlete that should be given a shot this year to take the next step.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

It was a rough year.  I'm willing to listen to a rebuttal.  

I think 2018 is enough of a rebuttal, dontcha think @Woz ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Honorable Mention - G Wes Martin

Martin_01_0912_md.JPG

Wes Martin will likely start by default.  His only competition on the roster will likely be Ereck Flowers and fellow Rookie Ross Pierschbacher.  Martin has the size/strength advantage over Pierschbacher and Flowers has struggled for years, so IMO its Martin's job to lose.  Whether or not he will be a successful draft pick or not we probably won't know for several years.  I expect his strength will give us some boost in the running game right away, but he may struggle with pass protection early on.  A healthy Trent Williams to his left all season would certainly help his learning curve.  

 

 

Why are you mentioning a guy who hasn't ever played a down as a redskin much less as a NFL player as even a footnote in your top 20 list?  No offense, but kind of makes it hard to take this thread seriously.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, offbyone said:

 

Why are you mentioning a guy who hasn't ever played a down as a redskin much less as a NFL player as even a footnote in your top 20 list?  No offense, but kind of makes it hard to take this thread seriously.

 

It’s a projection of who will be the top 20 performers for the redskins in 2019.  You can’t just ignore the rookies, lots of times they make a big impact.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2018 List (LAST YEAR'S LIST)  with my input on final ratings 

1. LT Trent Williams   8

2. OLB Ryan Kerrigan 2

3. CB Josh Norman - Didn't live up to this billing last year.  Injuries (and my opinion poor gameplans) limited his effectiveness last year.  20

4. OG Brandon scherff 19 due to injury

5.  MLB Zach Brown - plummeted after a good first season.  I was projecting him to take another step forward but he took several   sucksville 

steps back instead.  

6.  RT Morgan Moses  6

7.  TE Jordan Reed 15

8. S DJ Swearinger - Was a top 5 player on our team last season, cut because he badmouthed the crappy front office.  7

9. DE Jonathan Allen 4

10. WR Jamison Crowder sucksville 

11.  HB Chris Thompson 9

12. DT Da'Ron Payne 3 

13. TE Vernon Davis sucksville

14. QB Alex Smith sucksville 

15. OLB Preston Smith sucksville

16. DE Matt Ioannidis - Performed above this ranking IMO and earned himself a new contract.  5

17. HB Derrius Guice - I didn't know he would tear his ACL. Injured 

18. WR Josh Doctson  Bustville

19. OC Chase Roullier  10

20. S Montae Nicholson

 

number 1- Adrian Peterson

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×