MKnight82's Top 20 Most Talented Redskins of 2019 - #1 & 2 Up

MKnight82

#16 - WR Josh Doctson

5b19bc788f4a9.image.jpg?resize=1200,987

Ok here's some facts, Josh Doctson led all Redskins WRs in 2018 with 532 receiving yards, and tied for first on the team of all pass catchers with 2 TDs.  Those are pretty pitiful numbers, but they did lead the team and shows he was a primary focus in the passing game.  He also had Alex Smith as his QB for 10 games (who notoriously avoids throwing to WRs) and then a bunch of scrubs for the rest of the season.  I'm going to project an 800 yard receiving season accompanied by 4 TDs for Doctson this year, which I think will lead the Redskins WRing core.  Are those impressive numbers?  No they aren't.  But I expect him to lead a pretty pitiful position group for the Redskins this season.  

#15 - QB Dwayne Haskins

OSJZQCD3FUI6TMPTWIZ74WAR54.jpg 

Ok here's another hot button pick.  I'm going with the cautiously optimistic outlook on Haskins.  I was critical of Haskins throughout the whole draft process because of his lack of starting experience, but his one year was stellar.  He threw for 4,831 yards, a whopping 50 TDs with only 8 INTs and had an impressive 70.0% completion rate.  Those numbers are very very impressive, but his one year as a starting QB is also very very scary.  Make no mistake about it, Haskins is a boom or bust prospect.  But he has all the physical tools to make him successful in the league.  

Since 2000 there have only been 3 other QBs selected in the first round with only 1 year of starting experience (4 if you count Kyler Murray, but there's no data on him yet).  Those QBs are: Mitchell Trubisky, Cam Newton and Mark Sanchez.  In Trubisky's first season he started 12 games, threw for 2,193 yards, 7 TDs and had 7 INTs.  Cam was more impressive with 4,051 passing yards (ironically the most he's ever thrown in a season), 21 TDs, 17 INts and a bunch of rushing yards.  I believe Cam took home ROTY honors.  Then there's the Sanchize, who started 15 games and threw for only 2,444 yards, 12 TDs and an abysmal 20 INTs.  Of these 3 Cam Newton is on a whole other level than the other 2 athletically, its easy to see why he might have translated quicker to the NFL.  Cam also had a supporting cast of Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Jeremy Shockey, Jonathan Stewart, Deangelo Williams and Brandon Lafell.  

With those comparisons it wouldn't be shocking to see Haskins throw for less than 3,000 yards in his first season (Alex Smith, a veteran of 14 years had only thrown for 2,180 yards through 10 games in this offense last season).  If he throws for anything more than 3,500 yards I think we'd have to be thrilled.  Based on our other options it wouldn't surprise me to see him start all 16 games this season, and I'm not opposed to the learning by playing model anyways.  I think its possible Haskins has a bright future but I think we need to be realistic about what his rookie season will likely look like.  

• Like 1

#14 - TE Jordan Reed

jordan-reed-injury-panthers-november-201

Its obvious to anyone who watches redskins game that Jordan Reed is their best offensive talent when he's on the field.  It is also obvious to anyone who watches Redskins games that he won't be on the field for long.  He's been on the roster for 6 seasons, which is a 96 total games.  Of those 96, he dressed for 65.  Of those, he started 36 games.  So a guy who is obviously the team's best offensive talent has been healthy enough to start 37.5% of potential games in his career.  Yeah.  

The sad thing is although Reed only started 8 games for the Redskins in 2018 he still led the team in receiving yards (558) and receptions (54).   Based on the lack of other talent on the roster, he has a good shot to lead the team in receptions and yards again.  

I'm guessing this is the last season we will have Jordan on the roster.  Next offseason we can cut Reed for a cap savings of $8.5 mil.  

This is the lowest I've ever had Reed on these rankings but I just don't see his upside anymore.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

#13 - CB Quinton Dunbar

QGWIRLFZ5YI6RLNYAEJFIFWBAI.jpg

I'm really hoping Dunbar takes the next step this season.  He had a pretty solid 2017 campaign, and we promoted him to our starting #2 CB in training camp last year.  He only made 6 starts before getting injured (like everyone else in 2018), but amassed 39 tackles, 2 INTs and an impressive 9 pass defenses in that time.  

A converted WR from Florida, Dunbar made the Redskins roster as an UDFA in his rookie season.  He will turn just 27 years old this July, and is the definition of a homegrown talent.  We created this guy, and I'm hoping he really pays dividends for us.  If he can prove he can hold down one of the outside starting CB positions for the next 5 years that would be huge for us.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

#14 - TE Jordan Reed

jordan-reed-injury-panthers-november-201

Its obvious to anyone who watches redskins game that Jordan Reed is their best offensive talent when he's on the field.  It is also obvious to anyone who watches Redskins games that he won't be on the field for long.  He's been on the roster for 6 season, which is a 96 total games.  Of those 96, he dressed for 65.  Of those, he started 36 games.  So a guy who is obviously the teams best offensive talent has been healthy enough to start 37.5% of potential games in his career.  Yeah.  

The sad thing is although Reed only started 8 games for the Redskins in 2018 he still led the team in receiving yards (558) and receptions (54).   Based on the lack of other talent on the roster, he has a good shot to led the team in reception and yards again.  

I'm guessing this is the last season we will have Jordan on the roster.  Next offseason we can cut Reed for a cap savings of $8.5 mil.  

This is the lowest I've ever had Reed on these rankings but I just don't see his upside anymore.  

He would definitely be worth the risk of losing if they could get a 2nd round pick in return. 

#12 - HB Chris Thompson

christhompsonweek8.jpg?quality=65&strip=

It used to be I'd have to predict a few injury prone players but now it feels like the entire roster.  Thompson's 2016 season was the only one in which he made it through all 16 games, he's played in only 10 games per season the last two.  Overall he had a pretty disappointing 2018 campaign, his 178 rushing yards were the lowest in 5 years and 268 receiving yards was easily eclipsed the previous 2 seasons.  But hey, he can't possibly get injured again right (lol)?  

So is #12 too high for Thompson?  Maybe.  I think he could be a bigger part of the offense than we've seen in the past though.  I actually think with Jamison Crowder moving on there are around 500-600 receiving yards from the slot up for grabs.  I don't really like our WR options there (sorry Trey Quinn), so I can see Chris Thompson having his best receiving season of his career.  Its possible we see Thompson's first 1,000 yard (from scrimmage) of his career.  

#11 - OLB Montez Sweat

USATSI_12686234-718x490.jpg

We've never been able to get an athletic edge to play opposite Ryan Kerrigan.  Enter Montez Sweat, who's 4.41 sec 40 yard dash time was the fastest in history for a defensive lineman.  He also measured in at 6'6" 260 lbs with the second longest wingspan of any edge player at the combine.  The guy is an athletic freak.  How freaky?  Lets take a look at his Sparq score that attempts to measure a player's athletic abilities:

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2019/edge/ 

So Sweat's Sparq score is 144.8, which is just edged out for 2nd best in this draft class (by Ben Banogu, a guy I hadn't heard much of but probably why the Colts took him in the 2nd round).  They have a 5 years worth of archives up on the site, and Sweat's 144.8 makes him the 7th best overall Sqarq athlete (at Edge) behind only these guys:

Davis Tull - 153.8

Vic Beasley - 151.3

Bud Dupree - 148.4

Myles Garrett - 149.3

Jordan Willis - 145.7

Ben Banogu - 144.9

Now obviously that isn't a list that screams success at the NFL so far, but it does mean he's among the best athletes to come out at his position in years.  I don't consider Sweat to be a "raw" athlete prospect either.  He's put up double digit sack seasons in the SEC in back to back years.  

I'm projecting Sweat to have 12 sacks this year, which would break Brian Orakpo's Redskins rookie sack record.