MKnight82's Top 20 Most Talented Redskins of 2019 - #1 & 2 Up

MKnight82

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

My Comment about Zo was for those who don't think Special Teams guys aren't important. Zo was our best ST player and went to the Bills and made the Pro Bowl. It was never about him playing LB. 

I'm not sure what to make of this. 

You clearly were implying that Zo left us and then went to the Bills and became a Pro Bowl OLB. If that's not what you were implying then I'm sorry, but it seemed obvious that that was what you were implying. 

These two things are true.

1. Zo was a pro bowl special teams player for us that Shanahan and Allen let walk bc they wouldn't guarantee some bonus money in 2013 when his contract was up and when he left our special teams became the worst in the league in 2013.

2. He was our starting LOLB in 2010 before Kerrigan was drafted in 2011. So, maybe if Kerrigan wasn't drafted he would have developed into a pro bowl OLB for us but of course well never know.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I'm not sure what to make of this. 

You clearly were implying that Zo left us and then went to the Bills and became a Pro Bowl OLB. If that's not what you were implying then I'm sorry, but it seemed obvious that that was what you were implying. 

These two things are true.

1. Zo was a pro bowl special teams player for us that Shanahan and Allen let walk bc they wouldn't guarantee some bonus money in 2013 when his contract was up and when he left our special teams became the worst in the league in 2013.

2. He was our starting LOLB in 2010 before Kerrigan was drafted in 2011. So, maybe if Kerrigan wasn't drafted he would have developed into a pro bowl OLB for us but of course well never know.

My point was to those making it seem as though special team players aren't important. Useing Alexander as a example saying he was a Pro Bowler with the Bill's and our best special teams player. 

On 6/3/2019 at 11:02 AM, MKnight82 said:

#11 - OLB Montez Sweat

USATSI_12686234-718x490.jpg

We've never been able to get an athletic edge to play opposite Ryan Kerrigan.  Enter Montez Sweat, who's 4.41 sec 40 yard dash time was the fastest in history for a defensive lineman.  He also measured in at 6'6" 260 lbs with the second longest wingspan of any edge player at the combine.  The guy is an athletic freak.  How freaky?  Lets take a look at his Sparq score that attempts to measure a player's athletic abilities:

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2019/edge/ 

So Sweat's Sparq score is 144.8, which is just edged out for 2nd best in this draft class (by Ben Banogu, a guy I hadn't heard much of but probably why the Colts took him in the 2nd round).  They have a 5 years worth of archives up on the site, and Sweat's 144.8 makes him the 7th best overall Sqarq athlete (at Edge) behind only these guys:

Davis Tull - 153.8

Vic Beasley - 151.3

Bud Dupree - 148.4

Myles Garrett - 149.3

Jordan Willis - 145.7

Ben Banogu - 144.9

Now obviously that isn't a list that screams success at the NFL so far, but it does mean he's among the best athletes to come out at his position in years.  I don't consider Sweat to be a "raw" athlete prospect either.  He's put up double digit sack seasons in the SEC in back to back years.  

I'm projecting Sweat to have 12 sacks this year, which would break Brian Orakpo's Redskins rookie sack record.  

Funny you mention Orakpo in your last sentence. That's the last time we had a fast and athletic OLB opposite Kerrigan.

Edited by turtle28

On 5/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, MKnight82 said:

#16 - WR Josh Doctson

5b19bc788f4a9.image.jpg?resize=1200,987

Ok here's some facts, Josh Doctson led all Redskins WRs in 2018 with 532 receiving yards, and tied for first on the team of all pass catchers with 2 TDs.  Those are pretty pitiful numbers, but they did lead the team and shows he was a primary focus in the passing game.  He also had Alex Smith as his QB for 10 games (who notoriously avoids throwing to WRs) and then a bunch of scrubs for the rest of the season.  I'm going to project an 800 yard receiving season accompanied by 4 TDs for Doctson this year, which I think will lead the Redskins WRing core.  Are those impressive numbers?  No they aren't.  But I expect him to lead a pretty pitiful position group for the Redskins this season.  

I have PRich leading the team in wide receiving yards, Doctson leading them in wide receiving TDs and Quinn leading wide receiver receptions.

Doctson: 55 recs, 750 yds, 6 TDs

PRich: 50 recs, 850 yds, 5 Tds

Quinn: 60 recs, 700 yds, 4 Tds

Reed though takes the cake in all categories:

70 recs, 900 yds, 8 Tds

Edited by turtle28

On 6/5/2019 at 1:10 PM, e16bball said:

The tricky thing about this list is that “talented” term. 

Does it mean talent in terms of natural ability — physical gifts, raw skillset, potential/upside, etc? I feel like lots of times when we think of the word “talent,” we think of what someone is capable of doing, not necessarily limiting it to just what they’re actually doing here and now. 

If that’s the case, I think some of these younger (not yet proven) guys like Sweat and Haskins and Guice have more raw talent than many of the guys who are/will be listed ahead of them, like Ioannidis and Moses, for example. Jordan Reed, same thing, he’s got more pure talent than some of these other guys. 

But I guess if we’re considering “talent” to be just a measure of natural ability — and not focusing mostly on their likely contribution to the Redskins in 2019 — then we’d probably have to say that Adrian Peterson and Vernon Davis rank highest in “pure talent,” even if the years have diminished their abilities and they’re no longer nearly as productive. 

So if we’re talking about how much we think they’ll contribute to the Redskins in 2019, I think I’d move Guice up the list a fair amount. I’d have Thompson (and Peterson, if he’s in the top 10) below Guice, personally. I’d also have Thompson below Reed, as they’re both tremendously injury prone, but I consider Reed to be the more impactful player when healthy. 

I like those placements for Sweat and Dunbar in terms of 2019 impact. Both still have some proving to do, but there’s plenty of reason in both cases to think they can be significant contributors. I hope you’re right about Doctson,  but I just don’t see it. A list like this definitely does highlight the lack of offensive weapons, and it also reminds that the loss of Reuben Foster for the year hurts us in terms of our already limited blue-chip talent. 

So the way that I've approach it is this.  My #1 consideration is who I think will make the biggest impact in 2019.  So you might see some guys show up higher on the list than players who obviously have a high trade value like Sweat and Haskins.  

#10 - RT Morgan Moses

3569277.jpg

Morgan Moses has been the team's most consistent starter (as far as availability) for the Redskins the past 4 seasons.  He has started all 16 games 4 years in a row, and played 94.61% of all offensive snaps in 2018 (2nd to only Chase Roullier).  He struggled last year more than usual, his 6 holding penalties were a career high, as was his 7 false start penalties.  Overall it was his most penalized season of his career.  If the team had less injuries over the past two years I feel like he would be farther down on this list, but its hard not to put a guy who's actually out on the field in the top 10.  

• Like 1

#9 - DE Matt Ioannidis

BYQJPRHAPUI6RORQU7PNATMPVQ.jpg

The big Greek, Ioaniddis has been one of the best feel good stories for the Redskins the past few years.  A former 5th round pick, Ioaniddis broke into the starting lineup in 2017 with 10 starts and 4.5 sacks.  He took another step forward in 2018 with 7.5 sacks in only 9 starts, as he struggled with injuries (just like everyone else).  If he can put together a full healthy season this year the sky is the limit for him.  He definitely benefits from his two talented runningmates on along the line, but he takes full advantage of it.  In fact, if you look at the sack rates per snaps played Ioannidis was the most efficient pass rusher we had.  Ioaniddis had a sack every 58.5 snaps played, Kerrigan was a sack every 63 snaps, Jon Allen every 97 snaps,  Payne every 159 snaps, and Preston Smith a pathetic 208.5 snaps occurred between each of his sacks.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Not going to crap on either of these two. I think Morgan Moses is a middle of the road RT, but as you said, he’s been on the field and has performed at least decently.

Sad that middle of the road is a top 10 player for the Redskins.  

• Like 1

#8 - HB Adrian Peterson

fnia_nfl_florioonadrianpeterson_181014.j

I think Peterson has one more solid season in him, and I think he'll be a big focal point of the offense this year.  We're probably going to have a rookie QB with terrible WRs, the running game will have to carry the majority of the workload.  Peterson topped 1,000 rushing yards last year (1,042) for the first time since 2015.  His 4.2 ypc wasn't overly impressive until you remember that we were playing with 3rd string Olineman for more than half the season.  There were times last year when it felt like Peterson was the only part of the offense that was working.  In total, the Redskins offense had 329 carries by RBs last season (251 were Peterson's).  However, their Offense was SO bad that they were 27th in the league in total offensive snaps (967).  I expect our snaps will go up simply by getting our guys back healthy along the line.  I Peterson can stay healthy I'm projecting a 1,200 yard rushing season for him.  

• Like 1