MKnight82's Top 20 Most Talented Redskins of 2019 - #1 & 2 Up

MKnight82

#7 - CB Josh Norman

QCHZEXXF7QI6RBCJD7ZGGYE2GE.jpg

I think we all recognize Norman's play has declined but IMO he's still the best CB the Redskins have.  Despite being benched at haltime in that MNF game against the Saints, Josh Norman still played 99.52% of all Redskins snaps last year, which led all players on the team (only 3 players played more than 82%).  He had 64 tackles (4th on team), 3 INTs (2nd on team), and 3 forced fumbles (tied for 1st).  He's the only CB we have on the roster that can consistently cover opposing #1 WRs.  People calling for him to be cut this offseason are not being realistic, he is a very important piece of our defense.  

• Like 1

Sadly, Norman’s play hasn't just declined over his years w/ the Redskins, his play just never lived up to the play he had for just that one Super Bowl season in Carolina where he also benefited from one of the most dominant front 7’s in the entire NFL.

My greatest concern when we signed him was that he was more a product of just an overall great defense - especially a great front 7 - and that he himself wasn't exactly that great. He's good, but not great and sadly that's come to be true. 

I mean that front 7 made Kurt Coleman look like an All-Pro safety in 2015 w/ 90 tackles and 7 ints and we all know that isn't true.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

That's a great photo.

I'm shocked he caught it tbh. If he had just caught half the passes that hit his hands over the last 3 years he would have had twice as many ints than he's had for us the last 3 years. 

I'd have a different view of him if he had 10 to 12 ints the last 3 years and was more of a playmaker at corner rather than just 6 ints over 3 seasons - with zero in 2017 - and I remember him dropping a handful of chances at int.

It's like Carlos Rodgers all over! Solid cover guy/solid technique but stone hands and no top end speed to run w/ the fastest WRs or recover if he's beat.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:02 AM, MKnight82 said:

#11 - OLB Montez Sweat

USATSI_12686234-718x490.jpg

We've never been able to get an athletic edge to play opposite Ryan Kerrigan.  Enter Montez Sweat, who's 4.41 sec 40 yard dash time was the fastest in history for a defensive lineman.  He also measured in at 6'6" 260 lbs with the second longest wingspan of any edge player at the combine.  The guy is an athletic freak.  How freaky?  Lets take a look at his Sparq score that attempts to measure a player's athletic abilities:

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2019/edge/ 

So Sweat's Sparq score is 144.8, which is just edged out for 2nd best in this draft class (by Ben Banogu, a guy I hadn't heard much of but probably why the Colts took him in the 2nd round).  They have a 5 years worth of archives up on the site, and Sweat's 144.8 makes him the 7th best overall Sqarq athlete (at Edge) behind only these guys:

Davis Tull - 153.8

Vic Beasley - 151.3

Bud Dupree - 148.4

Myles Garrett - 149.3

Jordan Willis - 145.7

Ben Banogu - 144.9

Now obviously that isn't a list that screams success at the NFL so far, but it does mean he's among the best athletes to come out at his position in years.  I don't consider Sweat to be a "raw" athlete prospect either.  He's put up double digit sack seasons in the SEC in back to back years.  

I'm projecting Sweat to have 12 sacks this year, which would break Brian Orakpo's Redskins rookie sack record.  

Wow. I know Sweat is looking good against that great former Hurricane high first round OT :) but a rookie who has never played, was rated at best a second rounder last year until his speed was clocked, very questionable as a run defender and just so inexperienced, are we saying this guy as a rookie is Von Miller or Freak Kearse or just that the rest of our guys are just bums. I looked at the roster and may have put him in the top ten so that argues for the later choice.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:20 PM, MKnight82 said:

#10 - RT Morgan Moses

3569277.jpg

Morgan Moses has been the team's most consistent starter (as far as availability) for the Redskins the past 4 seasons.  He has started all 16 games 4 years in a row, and played 94.61% of all offensive snaps in 2018 (2nd to only Chase Roullier).  He struggled last year more than usual, his 6 holding penalties were a career high, as was his 7 false start penalties.  Overall it was his most penalized season of his career.  If the team had less injuries over the past two years I feel like he would be farther down on this list, but its hard not to put a guy who's actually out on the field in the top 10.  

I’ll admit he has far surpassed my expectations of him being Heyer 2.0

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

#8 - HB Adrian Peterson

fnia_nfl_florioonadrianpeterson_181014.j

I think Peterson has one more solid season in him, and I think he'll be a big focal point of the offense this year.  We're probably going to have a rookie QB with terrible WRs, the running game will have to carry the majority of the workload.  Peterson topped 1,000 rushing yards last year (1,042) for the first time since 2015.  His 4.2 ypc wasn't overly impressive until you remember that we were playing with 3rd string Olineman for more than half the season.  There were times last year when it felt like Peterson was the only part of the offense that was working.  In total, the Redskins offense had 329 carries by RBs last season (251 were Peterson's).  However, their Offense was SO bad that they were 27th in the league in total offensive snaps (967).  I expect our snaps will go up simply by getting our guys back healthy along the line.  I Peterson can stay healthy I'm projecting a 1,200 yard rushing season for him.  

Awww @MKnight82 you were on track till this one. With our roster keeping the mvp out of the top 4? Watch who is starting game 1, it won’t be guice it will be mvp and our offense will be through him

2 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I'm selling heavily on Adrian Peterson getting 1200 yards this year. I say under 800, and under 4 YPC.

A smart bet, but I like this guys heart, professionalism and leadership so much I want to see a Rigginest type season for him where he leads the league in Rushing TD’s since we won’t have and receiving options. Put in the Gibbs goal line offense and anytime in the red zone just run and never pass 

#6 - DE Jonathan Allen

47KSDLXLPEI6RC2HXUEXL7LBTE.jpg

After an injury filled rookie season, Jonathan Allen was a wrecking ball for the Redskins in 2018.  He was 2nd on the team with 8.0 sacks, which is pretty impressive for an interior position.  His 61 tackles was 5th on the team and led all Dlineman.  Finally his 11 TFL was tied for team lead, which was right around what Ioannidis and Payne had combined.  The only thing he was missing was any forced turnovers, he didn't have any forced fumbles or interceptions on the year.  But I think his impact has gone beyond stats, he's turning into a leader on defense.  He seems intent on moving past the losing reputation of the Redskins recent past, and building a defense that is accountable and dominant.  I think this guy is going to be one of our best players for the next decade.  

• Like 1

#5 - S Landon Collins

D2mb5YDXgAIm5bT-1024x683.jpg

Now the highest paid Safety in the history of the NFL, Landon Collins better bring his A game to the Redskins this season.  He had a pretty forgettable 2018, with 96 tackles, no INTs and 1 FF.  For comparison, DJ Swearinger (the guy we cut outright) had 53 tackles, 4 INTs and 3 FFs last year.  In his defense the Giants sucked all around last year.  So other than bringing some better tackling to the table I'm not sure where Collins is going to improve us at the Safety position from Swearinger.  But that's ok, because Swearinger was one of the better Safeties in the NFL last year.  Collins needs to be an all around swiss army knife in our backend this year for him to be worth that contract.  I do think he will bring a playmaker presence that has been lacking from our secondary lately.  

20 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

#5 - S Landon Collins

D2mb5YDXgAIm5bT-1024x683.jpg

Now the highest paid Safety in the history of the NFL, Landon Collins better bring his A game to the Redskins this season.  He had a pretty forgettable 2018, with 96 tackles, no INTs and 1 FF.  For comparison, DJ Swearinger (the guy we cut outright) had 53 tackles, 4 INTs and 3 FFs last year.  In his defense the Giants sucked all around last year.  So other than bringing some better tackling to the table I'm not sure where Collins is going to improve us at the Safety position from Swearinger.  But that's ok, because Swearinger was one of the better Safeties in the NFL last year.  Collins needs to be an all around swiss army knife in our backend this year for him to be worth that contract.  I do think he will bring a playmaker presence that has been lacking from our secondary lately.  

In the box safety. Good player who is limited with suboptimal  speed and poor cover ability . That he is our 5th best player is all anyone needs to know about this team. We are going to make every tight end a hall of famer. So I wonder who is rated higher in our top 5, Moreland or HOF Talent Ereck  Flowers ?

Edited by Doc Draper