MKnight82's Top 20 Most Talented Redskins of 2019 - #1 & 2 Up

MKnight82

1 hour ago, Doc Draper said:

In the box safety. Good player who is limited with suboptimal  speed and poor cover ability . That he is our 5th best player is all anyone needs to know about this team. We are going to make every tight end a hall of famer. So I wonder who is rated higher in our top 5, Moreland or HOF Talent Ereck  Flowers ?

Ya looking back I probably should of had Collins around 8 or 9.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The trashing of Landon Collins is getting kind of ridiculous. He’s a hell of a safety and while the team paid handsomely they haven’t had a player of his caliber in the secondary since Sean passed. 

Swearinger was better than Collins last year.  

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Swearinger was playing on the more talented defense. And I think our scheme allows our box safety to thrive I think Collins has a shot at being a All Pro here I believe that

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Swearinger is a good player who keeps costing himself jobs and money by running his mouth. It hasn’t just happened here, it’s happened everywhere he’s been. With that said, Collins is a better player. I actually don’t even think it’s all that close but that’s just me. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Swearinger is a good player who keeps costing himself jobs and money by running his mouth. It hasn’t just happened here, it’s happened everywhere he’s been. With that said, Collins is a better player. I actually don’t even think it’s all that close but that’s just me. 

It’s one of those situations where I like the player but hate the contract.  

On 6/15/2019 at 6:54 PM, lavar703 said:

The trashing of Landon Collins is getting kind of ridiculous. He’s a hell of a safety and while the team paid handsomely they haven’t had a player of his caliber in the secondary since Sean passed. 

I agree with this.  I am not sure what all the negative commentary is.  Sure we spent some money, but he is a young player in his prime.  If you are going to throw down the loot this is the situation to do it in.

Both safety positions have been major problem spots for like 10 years now.  Swearinger was the one solid player and finally gave us something good there for a few years.  But he is gone.   Move on.  I am just glad we dealt with this gap and aren't going back to another safety black hole.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Swearinger did not play better than Collins last year. You can't look at just one stat - interceptions - and determine that Swearinger had a better season especially when a few of those ints were tips, bad throws or bc the front 5 got pressure which caused the opportunities for those ints.  If Collins had those chances he would have made the plays as well like he did in 2016 when he had 5 ints when the Giants D was great.

Collins is as good as Swearinger in coverage and he's a better tackler than him and better than him vs the run which is extremely important for our defense. 5 seems like the perfect spot for Collins and he may even be the 4th best after:

1. Jon Allen 

2. TWill 

3. Kerrigan

I can see a toss up between Collins, Scherff & Payne for that 4th spot.

Edited by turtle28

On 6/16/2019 at 11:26 AM, MKnight82 said:

It’s one of those situations where I like the player but hate the contract.  

Interesting you hated him as a prospect in 2015 and hated me for liking him as a prospect in 2015.

The way I see it is it isn't our money, if you like the player just like the player but honestly, you never have so I still don't think you like him.

Edited by turtle28

On 6/14/2019 at 4:08 PM, MKnight82 said:

#6 - DE Jonathan Allen

47KSDLXLPEI6RC2HXUEXL7LBTE.jpg

After an injury filled rookie season, Jonathan Allen was a wrecking ball for the Redskins in 2018.  He was 2nd on the team with 8.0 sacks, which is pretty impressive for an interior position.  His 61 tackles was 5th on the team and led all Dlineman.  Finally his 11 TFL was tied for team lead, which was right around what Ioannidis and Payne had combined.  The only thing he was missing was any forced turnovers, he didn't have any forced fumbles or interceptions on the year.  But I think his impact has gone beyond stats, he's turning into a leader on defense.  He seems intent on moving past the losing reputation of the Redskins recent past, and building a defense that is accountable and dominant.  I think this guy is going to be one of our best players for the next decade.  

Who are the 5 better players than Jon Allen? And I love Collins, but he's not better than Allen as an all-around football player. Much of what Allen does goes unnoticed and underappreciated by most football fans, he's arguably the best player in the Redskins. 

Once again stats don't tell the whole story here.

Edited by turtle28

#4 - DT Da'Ron Payne

1054707088.jpeg&

In his rookie season Da'Ron Payne played 77.06% of all defensive snaps,  more than his counterparts Jon Allen and Matt Ioaniddis.  Also in that season Ryan Kerrigan had the second most sacks in his career (13), Jon Allen had his highest (8), and Matt Ioannidis had his highest (7.5).  Its like having a good NT in a 3-4 is important or something?  Payne himself finished with 5 sacks, 56 tackles, 6 TFL, 1 FF and a fumble recovery.  I think he's more physically gifted than Allen and Ioannidis, and opens up the defense for the rest of the front 7.  I think he'll be one of our best defensive players for the next decade.  

#3 - RG Brandon Scherff

1055017394.jpg.0.jpg

Probably our most consistent player on offense until last season (he missed 8 games due to injury), Scherff is already a 2 time Pro Bowler in his 4 year career.  A former college LT, his technique and skill in pass protection is excellent for a Guard.  I'd like to see him continue to take strides as a run blocker (he's good, I'm looking for excellent) and to prove he's over his injury this season by playing all 16 games.  If we're going to try to be a run heavy offense this year (which I think we'll have to be) Scherff will be a big part of that.  

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

#4 - DT Da'Ron Payne

1054707088.jpeg&

In his rookie season Da'Ron Payne played 77.06% of all defensive snaps,  more than his counterparts Jon Allen and Matt Ioaniddis.  Also in that season Ryan Kerrigan had the second most sacks in his career (13), Jon Allen had his highest (8), and Matt Ioannidis had his highest (7.5).  Its like having a good NT in a 3-4 is important or something?  Payne himself finished with 5 sacks, 56 tackles, 6 TFL, 1 FF and a fumble recovery.  I think he's more physically gifted than Allen and Ioannidis, and opens up the defense for the rest of the front 7.  I think he'll be one of our best defensive players for the next decade.  

Nope! Payne is great but Allen is better. Playing next to Allen - who gets doubled - opens up things for Payne, not the other way around. Also, for Ioannidis playing opposite Allen or alongside him on passing downs - when Allen gets doubled - opens up things for Ioannidis to go one on one.

The clearest example of this is 2017. In 2017 our defense was having a pretty good year until Allen went down with his Lisfranc foot injury vs San Fran. I think our run defense was 5th in the NFL before Allen got hurt in 2017 and then fell apart after that.

Ioannidis had 3.5 sacks in the first 5 games - before Allen got hurt - he had only 1 sack the rest of the year. 

That’s how important Allen is to our defense!

As I said before an argument can be made that Allen is the best all-around player on the team. I'd have Allen #1 on my board W/ Payne behind Collins at 6.

1. Allen

2. TWill

3. Kerrigan

4. Collins

6. Payne

7. Scherff

Edited by turtle28