Browns release Brock Osweiler

ditchdigger

45 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

There couldn't have been a more perfect scenario to get value for Brock than Ryan Tannehill going down with Jay Cutler retired...if Cutler doesn't come out of retirement I think we would've flipped Brock for at least a 5th round pick...also the dolphins would've eaten some of that salary....

Outside of Gase...there were really no more head coaches in Brock's corner...

Best case scenario is someone signs Brock for 5 to 6 million per taking us off the hook for a good chunk...

No one is signing Brock for that much, also, there is no real advantage regarding how much the new team pays to Brock unless its a multi year contract.  He is paid the same regardless.  Money won't be the motivator for his new choice of team, it will be situation.  To Brock, whether the new team pays him $8 million a year, or vet minimum, his pay is the same.  Also, Nude, no worries, I will never change, and you can quote me on that B|

this has been my mindset on bringing Brock in

It takes some strong balls to make that move by Sashi, and it took the buy in from Haslam to allow it. This move is what makes me think we won't be changing from this front office for a very long time. 

I dont think we'll use the pick wherever it ends up. 

but I think the best part of this trade that no one has mentioned is this

If Houston can't get rid of Brock do they make the trade up to get Watson sending up a first?

I doubt it.

So by trading for Brock picking up a second we actually opened up the opportunity for a 2018 first rounder

So the question is not is a second round pick with 16 mill its is a first and a second worth 16 mill when youve got to spend the money anyway?

I think so. Great move Sashi

8 minutes ago, brownie man said:

It takes some strong balls to make that move by Sashi, and it took the buy in from Haslam to allow it. This move is what makes me think we won't be changing from this front office for a very long time. 

If Houston can't get rid of Brock do they make the trade up to get Watson sending up a first?

I doubt it.

So by trading for Brock picking up a second we actually opened up the opportunity for a 2018 first rounder

So the question is not is a second round pick with 16 mill its is a first and a second worth 16 mill when youve got to spend the money anyway?

great point, that said, I think Houston would still go up for Watson because Brock and Bill O'Brian genuinely hated one another.

14 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I doubt it.

hhmmmm.....interesting...

giphy.gif

Sashi and co. on their day off.....

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I doubt it.

It may have worked out that way but I'm sure that wasn't some grand scheme by Sashi.

Some dumb luck and enough smarts to see a sucker looking to get got when came along.

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

Yeah but that money could have been used like NE did when they signed revis for 1 year 16 or so mil to win a super bowl

maybe now that only gets us a joe Haden 

We had a Joe Haden for $11M, but didn't want him.

If Aaron Rodgers gets cut tomorrow, we could still afford to sign him to the largest contract in NFL history.

Two points that I rarely see brought up but that I feel like also should be considered with regards to taking on that contract:

1. The team needs to meet the requirement set in the new CBA regarding the salary floor (which I admit I don't fully understand) that if the team doesn't meet the minimum qualifications they pay a fine equal to the amount to get them to the floor, so part of the $16 million may have been spent either way. At least this way we also get a draft asset.

2. Having Brock in the room throughout OTAs and minicamp and training camp as a veteran presence (one who did get his own tutelage from one Peyton Manning) not only allowed Kizer to see how a professional studies and prepares, but allowed Kizer to work his way up the depth chart, legitimately "winning" the job from the veteran, and completely avoiding a QB controversy.

If Kizer pans out and that 2nd is turned into a future 1st, I'd say the money was well spent.

11 minutes ago, zaklco said:

Two points that I rarely see brought up but that I feel like also should be considered with regards to taking on that contract:

1. The team needs to meet the requirement set in the new CBA regarding the salary floor (which I admit I don't fully understand) that if the team doesn't meet the minimum qualifications they pay a fine equal to the amount to get them to the floor, so part of the $16 million may have been spent either way. At least this way we also get a draft asset.

2. Having Brock in the room throughout OTAs and minicamp and training camp as a veteran presence (one who did get his own tutelage from one Peyton Manning) not only allowed Kizer to see how a professional studies and prepares, but allowed Kizer to work his way up the depth chart, legitimately "winning" the job from the veteran, and completely avoiding a QB controversy.

If Kizer pans out and that 2nd is turned into a future 1st, I'd say the money was well spent.

Great point about the mentoring.  The only thing there is, everything I have read said Manning was a horrible team mate to other QBs on the roster for his entire career.  Some weird insecurity or something.  He never wanted to help them one iota.

Regarding the salary, its the vet minimum, which I am sure some team will pay, but the majority of that $16 mil is on the Browns.

Also I don't think it is defined as a fine for not reaching the floor, you just have to pay the current players on your roster an equal amount until you reach the floor. Point remains though if we were under the floor, I never checked. If so, that money would be spent either way, either getting a 2nd round draft pick or to current players. It wouldn't have been staying in the owners pocket (if we were below the floor).

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

lmao

This goes right along with all of those that said John Elway's was lying when he openly said he liked Osweiler and wanted to keep him, and that they, themselves, knew much more about the inner workings of Denver Broncos management than Elway.

Archived