Browns release Brock Osweiler

ditchdigger

12 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Not denying any of those, however, as you yourself mentioned, that stat is not at all a perfect measurement, especially when you have a YAC monster like Thomas as your go to guy.  The decline was there post neck surgery, which happened before Denver.  The literal death nail was when he stayed one year too long, which everyone except for himself knew before the season.

... AY/A isn't affected at all by YAC, that's the entire point of the stat. AY/A is AIR yards per attempt. It shows that Peyton was still throwing downfield.

No one is arguing that he didn't have reduced arm strength those last few years, we're arguing that it was still totally functional/adequate until 2015 and that there was a steep, steep drop off that year.

9 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

... AY/A isn't affected at all by YAC, that's the entire point of the stat. AY/A is AIR yards per attempt. It shows that Peyton was still throwing downfield.

No one is arguing that he didn't have reduced arm strength those last few years, we're arguing that it was still totally functional/adequate until 2015 and that there was a steep, steep drop off that year.

are you positive about that, I thought that AY/A was average yards per attempt, not air yards per attempt.

39 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

are you positive about that, I thought that AY/A was average yards per attempt, not air yards per attempt.

Y/A is yards per attempt, but I think I was looking at adjusted yards/attempt rather than air yards per attempt. 

So I did some more research, here are the actual AY/A numbers for Peyton from 2012-2015

2012 - 4th in the NFL in raw # of air yards, 4.57 AY/A, 57.2% of his total yards were air yards, his per attempt #s were behind only Eli (#shocked) and Wilson.
2013 - 1st in the NFL in raw # of air yards, 4.24 AY/A, 51% of his total yards were air yards, his per attempt #s were behind only Foles, Kaepernick, Wilson and Cutler
2014 - 2nd in NFL in raw # of air yards, 4.54 AY/A, 57.4% of his total yards were air yards, his per attempt #s were behind only Tony Romo among full-time starters
2015 - 27th in NFL in raw # of air yards, 3.85 AY/A, 56.7% of his total yards were air yards, his per attempt #s were behind Matt Schaub and Brandon Weeden as well as 15 QBs who threw for at least 2,000 yards.

Since most full-time QBs in those years hovered between 4 and 4.5 AY/A, that is a one year drop from being top tier in AY/A to being unstartable. For the record, here are his numbers in 2010, his last healthy season in Indy.

2010 - 1st in the NFL in raw # of air yards, 3.97 AY/A (worse than any of his first three Denver seasons), 57.4% of his total yards were air yards, his per attempt #s were behind 11 other QBs who threw for at least 2,000 yards.
2009 - I won't do a full one here, but his AY/A was 4.22, worse than any Denver year except 2015.

In short, Peyton's arm was starting to slip by the time he got to Denver, but it was still perfectly fine and combined with his smarts produced a very good downfield passing game in 2012-2014. The noodle arm only took effect in 2015 (though it was definitely looking rough the last few games in 2014 if I recall correctly).

16 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

.... Did you only watch his last year? Peyton's first three years there he was still fine. Didn't have the arm strength he once had, and it got worse as it went along, but he was still dealing. You don't break the single season passing record with a loose rubber band.

Amazing how "crappy" he was and he still outplayed out buttsweiler. 

3 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Bruh...

Wasting. Your. Time.

Archived