Can we form the 1st and 2nd all bust team from 2000-2019?

Kiwibrown

On 5/24/2019 at 5:04 AM, goldfishwars said:

Can't think of a suitable tight end, Ebron would have been the closest before last year. They have a crazy high bust % in the 2nd round, but the 1st round guys tend to stay around a while at least.

Kellen Winslow Jr?

12 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I dont think so. He was definitely an incredibly disappointing player, but he had like a 9 year career, almost entirely as a starter. He didnt wind up being a force on the DL, but he was a very solid run defender for years.

Glenn Dorsey would kind of be in like Alex Smith or Reggie Bush territory for me. Absolutely did not live up to what they were drafted to be, but they had utility and longevity, and presented enough value to not be compared to total busts.

This is fair... didn't realize he started that long, interesting.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:33 PM, SkippyX said:

Ras-I-Dowling - It is staggering how wrong a genius like Belichick was on him.

Dowling had injury problems. He started his first 2 games in NE. Then got IRed. Then struggled when they tried to bring him back in his 2nd year, and got IRed again. Throw in the fact that he was a 2nd round pick, and he doesn't fit what the OP was looking for.

Jordan Richards would be a better example of a Belichick Patriots draft bust in the 2nd round.

surprised at the lack of laquon treadwell talk. dude has 500 yards through three seasons and 5.7 yards a target. 

it still guts me that we could've easily had michael thomas, who i wanted instead of fuller/doctson/treadwell. i can't even imagine having a trio of diggs, thielen and thomas.

6 hours ago, whitehops said:

surprised at the lack of laquon treadwell talk. dude has 500 yards through three seasons and 5.7 yards a target. 

it still guts me that we could've easily had michael thomas, who i wanted instead of fuller/doctson/treadwell. i can't even imagine having a trio of diggs, thielen and thomas.

It's the lack of Treadwell's ability to see the field that really opened the door for Thielen. If Thomas is starting from day one, does Thielen get the chance to become a top 10 WR with Diggs already established? I'd certainly expect Thielen's touches to significantly diminish in that instance since his role would be similar to that of Thomas.

Edited by vikingsrule

8 hours ago, whitehops said:

There are bigger busts that were picked higher at receiver, and he's still young.

11 hours ago, 24isthelaw said:

Dowling had injury problems. He started his first 2 games in NE. Then got IRed. Then struggled when they tried to bring him back in his 2nd year, and got IRed again. Throw in the fact that he was a 2nd round pick, and he doesn't fit what the OP was looking for.

Jordan Richards would be a better example of a Belichick Patriots draft bust in the 2nd round.

I have listened to PFW in Progress for the past 10 years. Ras-I Dowling is absolutely considered a horrific bust of a pick.

He was also the Drew Brees slot of pick 1 in round 2, so its not like he went 64th overall like Richards.

Richards also started 7 games as a Patriot, played in 41, played much better than Dowling, and started 12 games in Atlanta last year. (as part of a terrible secondary to be sure)

Dowling got a bunch of practice squads after 2 years in New England and 3 games as a deep depth guy in December for an Oakland team that was 2-11 when they activated him.

Pro Football Reference gives Richards a career AV of 9 so far. Dowling got a 1.

You don't cut a high 2nd round pick getting over a hamstring injury unless he is a terrible football player.

Edited by SkippyX

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:15 AM, waffles7 said:

MLB- AJ Hawk 

Why AJ Hawk? 9 years, 900 tackles, 600 solo, 20 sacks, 9 INT, 55 TFL..

He wasn't the game changer everyone hoped he'd be; so disappointment perhaps, but I don't know how you can say he's a bust...

On 5/24/2019 at 1:40 PM, Shanedorf said:

Impressed that you dug that one out
And GB traded UP to get him at pick # 87 because the HC/GM Mike Sherman was worried about somebody jumping in front of him for Sanders...

Listen, sometimes you have to give up a lot for a BJ. Do BJ's always work out? No they do not, but sometimes you just have to take that risk. 

Oh and never, ever let someone jump in front of you for a BJ. Ever. 

4 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I have listened to PFW in Progress for the past 10 years. Ras-I Dowling is absolutely considered a horrific bust of a pick.

He was also the Drew Brees slot of pick 1 in round 2, so its not like he went 64th overall like Richards.

Richards also started 7 games as a Patriot, played in 41, played much better than Dowling, and started 12 games in Atlanta last year. (as part of a terrible secondary to be sure)

Dowling got a bunch of practice squads after 2 years in New England and 3 games as a deep depth guy in December for an Oakland team that was 2-11 when they activated him.

Pro Football Reference gives Richards a career AV of 9 so far. Dowling got a 1.

You don't cut a high 2nd round pick getting over a hamstring injury unless he is a terrible football player.

Nah, it's unreasonable in the context of the OP's criteria..

There's no way  of knowing that Dowling's career trajectory wasn't altered by his lower body injuries. Bigger, slower corner gets even slower and slips out of NFL. There's nothing implausible or far-fetched about that.

If Dowling were considered to be a giant reach to begin with (like Richards was), you could at least surmise that he was untalented the whole time, and that he completely lucked into earning a starting role pre-injuries. But he was picked roughly where he was projected to go.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:34 AM, MikeT14 said:

Wendell Bryant, DT - 12th overall Cardinals - 2002

Michael Haynes, DE - 14th overall Bears - 2003

Johnathan Sullivan, DT - 6th overall Saints - 2003

Jahvid Best, RB - 30th overall Lions - 2010

Didn't Best get his brain turned to mush by concussions?