Official 53 Man Roster Discussion / Reveal. (Additions in OP)

Displayname

To me, Coates can take DHB's ST spot. Perhaps he won't be quite as good but good enough imo. However, I might be underestimating the Steelers' opinion of how important DHB is. Rogers offers the STs that Ayers does but is a better WR. They don't need both. I like what Hunter has shown but I'm not sure if it's enough to push Coates out especially given his STs deficiencies. So with all that said, Hunter's in if they keep 6 and Ayers and DHB are out. 

6 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

To me, Coates can take DHB's ST spot. Perhaps he won't be quite as good but good enough imo. However, I might be underestimating the Steelers' opinion of how important DHB is. Rogers offers the STs that Ayers does but is a better WR. They don't need both. I like what Hunter has shown but I'm not sure if it's enough to push Coates out especially given his STs deficiencies. So with all that said, Hunter's in if they keep 6 and Ayers and DHB are out. 

I like that assessment. Hunter was a camp star. Last preseason game he stood out. Would have to look the whole preseason stats. But we have also seen Coates and DHB do similar things but in the regular season. Coates and DHB could be our gunners and I believe Coates also played a part in the return game last year. Unless DHB really regressed, it's hard not giving it him since he adds that dimension. Wish we could be talking about hard cuts with the secondary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ayers can still land a PS spot right? I don't mean to sound like I have a man crush on the guy, just thinking of Tomlins view on non starters if they add any other value. Wouldn't be bad to keep around if someone went down.

4 minutes ago, Displayname said:

I like that assessment. Hunter was a camp star. Last preseason game he stood out. Would have to look the whole preseason stats. But we have also seen Coates and DHB do similar things but in the regular season. Coates and DHB could be our gunners and I believe Coates also played a part in the return game last year. Unless DHB really regressed, it's hard not giving it him since he adds that dimension. Wish we could be talking about hard cuts with the secondary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ayers can still land a PS spot right? I don't mean to sound like I have a man crush on the guy, just thinking of Tomlins view on non starters if they add any other value. Wouldn't be bad to keep around if someone went down.

Correct. He only played in 2 games. I have biased eyes in terms of Hunter (Vols fan). He has tons of talent but it seems as if it only shows up during camp or in a few flashes here and there. My orange tinted glasses tell me it's because he's never had a QB the caliber of Ben. His offensive upside (tho far from guaranteed) offers more than DHB's STs imo. But I also see the point that Coates offers a similar skillset with the added benefit of STs and it may be difficult to keep both Hunter and Coates. If that's the case, Coates gets the nod.

The WR battle will be interesting.  As far as I'm concerned, Coates and DHB are basically worthless as pass catchers due to bad hands, but they looked really good as gunners last year.  Hunter is definitely my preference there for that type of WR if I'm picking to keep just 1 of the 3.  If keeping 2, again, he's absolutely one of them.  I'd like Gay to be shown the door as well.  I couldn't stand him early on in his career, then I warmed up to him, and now he's just way too slow and terrible again.  I only watched the first half of that last game so far.  So perhaps I missed something, but I don't feel it was too important what anyone did in this game since half the guys playing won't be on rosters anyway.  

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

As far as I'm concerned, Coates and DHB are basically worthless as pass catchers due to bad hands 

I dont know why you keep ignoring that BEFORE HIS HAND INJURY LAST YEAR, Coates was extremely productive as a deep threat and had a better pass catching % than Bryant did the year before.   Should we cut Bryant too?     

Look, I dont even care if we cut Coates, but the hate he gets makes no sense.   I can understand no being a big fan of his, and I absolutely HATED when we drafted him in the first place, but people bash him way too much on here.   He was quite good last year before he got hurt.    He isnt a sure handed possession receiver, but as a big play threat, he was very good.    Wouldnt want him as a number 2....but youre acting like he doesnt even belong on an NFL roster when thats just silly.

Fact is, our big play offense largely fizzled after Coates got hurt, because we had no deep threat to stretch the field.     That alone proves he has nice value....when healthy.

If we dont keep him, so be it.....but he sure as hell isnt worthless.   

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Correct. He only played in 2 games. I have biased eyes in terms of Hunter (Vols fan). He has tons of talent but it seems as if it only shows up during camp or in a few flashes here and there. My orange tinted glasses tell me it's because he's never had a QB the caliber of Ben. His offensive upside (tho far from guaranteed) offers more than DHB's STs imo. But I also see the point that Coates offers a similar skillset with the added benefit of STs and it may be difficult to keep both Hunter and Coates. If that's the case, Coates gets the nod.

Tyron Taylor is the best thrower he has had in his career. The sinker about the preseason, he and Ben didn't get much in game time this year for even a sample taste for us to see. I also like hunter myself. I completely agree with your statement towards him. Coates could take over DHB s spot on special teams that could allow hunter a spot. 

Where I may be overthinking, tomlin wants our second string running back Connor to play on SP also. That's the brick wall I keep running into thinking about this situation. 

In a scenario that is not Steelers like, they trade Coates for safety help and hunter gets the spot. 

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont know why you keep ignoring that BEFORE HIS HAND INJURY LAST YEAR, Coates was extremely productive as a deep threat and had a better pass catching % than Bryant did the year before.   Should we cut Bryant too?     

Look, I dont even care if we cut Coates, but the hate he gets makes no sense.   I can understand no being a big fan of his, and I absolutely HATED when we drafted him in the first place, but people bash him way too much on here.   He was quite good last year before he got hurt.    He isnt a sure handed possession receiver, but as a big play threat, he was very good.    Wouldnt want him as a number 2....but youre acting like he doesnt even belong on an NFL roster when thats just silly.

Fact is, our big play offense largely fizzled after Coates got hurt, because we had no deep threat to stretch the field.     That alone proves he has nice value....when healthy.

If we dont keep him, so be it.....but he sure as hell isnt worthless.   

Well you and I just see things differently.  Productive?  Yes.  Good hands?  NEVER.  Ever.  He could get open, but his hands were very iffy.  Some guys can still catch the ball by being a body catcher.  Those types are not reliable.  He's one of them.  After he got hurt, he was horrific, which goes without saying, but he was never good even before then.  I too hated the pick.  He was on my "do not draft list".  I wasn't a fan of Burns or other guys either, but if they are better pros than what I saw leading up to the draft or in college, I have no problem changing my opinion on them.  

As far as the O being neutered after he got hurt, it's because the Steelers were down to ONE receiver.  Brown.  He isn't a true deep threat either.  So you had Eli as another shifty underneath guy.  No one else was any good at all.  

As far as keeping him, he's on a "cheap" rookie deal, so there isn't much downside to keeping him right now.  But when it comes time to resign him, I'd let him walk unless he makes vast improvements.  He's like Cordarrelle Patterson to me.  Over-drafted, good athlete, not a good WR.  The Vikings let him walk, as they should've, and drafted 2 real WRs to replace him in the late rounds.  That's what I'd do with Coates unless he learns to catch a lot better (I don't think he has the hands for it so it's a foregone conclusion he never will.....he's like me, I never had natural hands and never would develop into a WR....but I also wasn't a WR....I was a RB and LB).  

On a scale of 1 to 10, he's a 6 as a WR.  Or the Madden rating way, he's a 70 at best, with 60 level hands, but his release and other attributes are good.  His route tree is limited.  I just don't see much to work with there unless you want a 1-trick pony and special teamer.  You pay those guys accordingly.  He's essentially a younger DHB.  He's big, he's fast, he can get open deep, but I never expect him to catch the ball or do anything but go deep.  They're both great gunners as well.  

9 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Not sure Hunter showed enough to make it.  It's frustrating because if that guy had AB's focus, he'd be an all-pro.   Coates appears to be healthy again so he should make it especially with Knile getting cut.  

Archived