The Adam Shaheen Thread

WindyCity

I was asked a question from a buddy about what I thought of Shaheen, because we know he is not a stone cold bust like White.

"What percentage chance do you give him of being a good complete 2nd round TE?"

I said 

70-NO

30-YES

A big part of the NO was the health issues and lack of speed. The yes is based on the fact that he does have size and hands if we can ever get him open and involved.

7 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not sure how the round figures into it?

He's had some misfortune, for sure, but I don't know what percentage I'd put on him turning out. Out of deference to Pace, I'd peg it as closer to even, though. 

You expect more from your high picks. That is why the round factors into it.

Blowing higher picks when the draft pool is still fairly full, is worse than blowing picks in the 6/7th round when it is depleted.

It is the reverse of why Pace gets praised for what he has done in the 5th round.

I think Shaheen is just a bust....honestly the 2nd round is kind of a bust mine field. Late rounds you typically go BPA or take risks on high upside, 1st round you are going for good college stats, but 2nd....2nd round is where you take kind of like need players but who also have upside sort of haha.

Shaheen is bad....all good...I like Burton, also I like our weapons in general....On any given play thats designed for a non-WR, I would rather Cohen and Burton be the top 2 options over Shaheen. Blocking wise we just converted Sowell....Forget Shaheen, allow Ryan Pace this whiff. Its done 

I think it’s tough to say with TE’s.  A lot of them emerge later.  Many shine and then quickly disappear. 

Few are good over a 4 year or more period.

Shaheen has been in league two years. In college he couldn’t block and he turned into a pretty good blocker during his rookie year.  That usually takes a longer time.  Howard nearly led league in rushing and many of those yards were with Shaheen blocking.

In year two Nagy was using him a ton in practice.  He didn’t have to do that.  He wasn’t his guy.  He chose to based on what he saw.  I wasn’t there so I can’t say if I agree or disagree, but Nagy thought so.   Then Adam got seriously hurt before season and came back late in year and didn’t look same and wasn’t on same page with what offense was at that time.  He still made some key plays, but was largely a non factor. 

Is he great? No. I think we would know that.  Is he bad?  You can’t say that given the evidence and situation.  I’m not sure why so many are making that pronouncement at this time.  

I think if he stays healthy we will know based on his play by 4th game or so.  If he gets hurt again then he gets injury prone label and is a bust in that sense. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Blowing higher picks when the draft pool is still fairly full, is worse than blowing picks in the 6/7th round when it is depleted.

It is the reverse of why Pace gets praised for what he has done in the 5th round.

Yeah, I think if Shaheen was a 4th or something this would be easier to stomach, but right now he looks like an oft-injured, good blocking TE who rarely flashes a nice play.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I didn't pick up that you wanted to include Pace in the conversation. I also don't know what "second round TE" really means. Brett Favre a "second round QB"? Richard Dent an "eighth round DE"? Lawrence Phillips a "first round RB"? 

3 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Forget Shaheen, allow Ryan Pace this whiff. Its done 

You may be right, but I'm not sure how you can make that claim right now. His first year the offense was a mess, but he blocked pretty well. His second year he got badly hurt. Seems like his grade should be incomplete, not an F. 

• Like 1

Shaheen is a guy I hope emerges, and he is worth keeping on his rookie deal and hoping he improves while at least being a decent blocker. This should be a telling year as far as health goes, as Floyd took 3 years to play a full season too, even if he was only actually healthy for about half of it.  If he misses much time this year, he is a roster bubble guy who you look to get what you can from him without actually focusing the offense around him in any way.

Burton showed he could be handled pretty damn easily in the latter half of the season in the pass game, and while he is a high-effort blocker he is a former QB turned WR who occasionally puts his hand in the dirt. Last 9-10 games and never got over 40 yards in a game? Only 1 TD in the last half? Not a bad player to have, but not exactly a guy worth writing home about with that little production. If we get his first half then I'm ecstatic, but he isn't worth $8.5 million per year to be a decoy and dump off option.

If we are going to be honest, if Burton doesn't improve/regain his early form and Shaheen shows he can't stay healthy, we might go into the next offseason without Burton (not as a cut but trading him for pennies to relieve themselves of the $7.5mil dead cap hit) and looking at TE as our top priority to fill (assuming Coward or Bar show they can handle the RG spot if/when Long misses time and Haha gets extended).

10 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Shaheen is a guy I hope emerges, and he is worth keeping on his rookie deal and hoping he improves while at least being a decent blocker. This should be a telling year as far as health goes, as Floyd took 3 years to play a full season too, even if he was only actually healthy for about half of it.  If he misses much time this year, he is a roster bubble guy who you look to get what you can from him without actually focusing the offense around him in any way.

Burton showed he could be handled pretty damn easily in the latter half of the season in the pass game, and while he is a high-effort blocker he is a former QB turned WR who occasionally puts his hand in the dirt. Last 9-10 games and never got over 40 yards in a game? Only 1 TD in the last half? Not a bad player to have, but not exactly a guy worth writing home about with that little production. If we get his first half then I'm ecstatic, but he isn't worth $8.5 million per year to be a decoy and dump off option.

If we are going to be honest, if Burton doesn't improve/regain his early form and Shaheen shows he can't stay healthy, we might go into the next offseason without Burton (not as a cut but trading him for pennies to relieve themselves of the $7.5mil dead cap hit) and looking at TE as our top priority to fill (assuming Coward or Bar show they can handle the RG spot if/when Long misses time and Haha gets extended).

I sort of agree, also though I kind of love that our biggest hole is TE. Honestly who cares....I know Nagy was a KC guy and they have Kelce but the Bears are different. Way more weapons at WR, and I like our RB group alot. 

5 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I sort of agree, also though I kind of love that our biggest hole is TE. Honestly who cares....I know Nagy was a KC guy and they have Kelce but the Bears are different. Way more weapons at WR, and I like our RB group alot. 

We went 2 TE a fair bit, I imagine he wants 2 competent players there. The Bears are definitely different than KC schematically but the offense needs to take a big step forward. It was average last year, which was an improvement, but Nagy needs to get more out of having so many weapons and a young talented QB. 

He's turned out to be a very different player to what I thought we were getting when he was drafted. You watch his college tape and see him as an absolute YAC machine, who's never going to be used as a blocker; thought we were just getting a massive WR playing TE. Turns out it looked like he was a man amongst boys at Ashland because he was, everyone he was playing was like 3ft smaller and 100lb lighter than him.

It hasn't translated to the NFL, but I still think he can be useful in short areas. He's not the TE you want moving around the field and trying to get the ball to in space - he's got all the awareness and athleticism of Kellen Davis. But I like him in the redzone a lot, he's massive and has good hands, there was a 2-pt play last season when we just had him in single coverage, he bodies up the defender and it was an easy throw and catch that leaves you wondering how the hell defenses can stop that when it's executed right.

His blocking is much better than I expected too, but right now he looks like a pretty one dimensional redzone threat. I think he can be very good at that one dimension but that's not going to be enough to get him a second contract.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:33 AM, Heinz D. said:

I didn't pick up that you wanted to include Pace in the conversation. I also don't know what "second round TE" really means. Brett Favre a "second round QB"? Richard Dent an "eighth round DE"? Lawrence Phillips a "first round RB"? 

You may be right, but I'm not sure how you can make that claim right now. His first year the offense was a mess, but he blocked pretty well. His second year he got badly hurt. Seems like his grade should be incomplete, not an F. 

A 2nd round ________________

Is a player that provides on field value that in some way matches their draft position. A 2nd round pick is a strong investment and you need to get a strong return to justify the expenditure.

A 6th round pick is a low investment, there for you do not need as much of a contribution to break even.

This is not difficult. Right now Shaheen is providing a terrible return on investment. If he had been picked in the 5th round the investment would be lower and his meager returns would be less of an issue.