Raiders/Packers to play in Winnipeg, Canada week 3 of preseason

RaidersAreOne

49 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

They have a great stadium so I am not surprised, although I thought Regina would land this.

Bruh... no one wants to go to Saskatchewan.  My grandmother was born in Saskatoon.  No one and I mean NO ONE wants to go to Saskatchewan.

At least it's not Re-gina. 

I don't mind neutral site preseason games, builds a fanbase in other areas and it's more hype than it would be in Oakland. 

I wouldn't have the biggest issue with a Las Vegas Raiders preseason game in Reno, but I imagine once the new stadium is built they'll take all the preseason and regular season games. No more London for a while. 

Edited by UtahUtesFan

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

They have a great stadium so I am not surprised, although I thought Regina would land this.

Yeah, what the heck?  I thought this was supposed to be Regina.

Winnipeg will be good too though.  They've got that nice new stadium, and they've demonstrated with the return of their NHL franchise that people will show up and support things, and they'll be a darn lively crowd too.

Maybe they just realized that Rider fans are fervently brand-loyal and only want to watch their team play or something.  Plus it has to sting, having just lost their team to New York for the 2019 season.

Pretty cool. Rules changes are changing the way the game is played since I first started watching it but it's still pretty entertaining game right now, if the NFL can figure out how to really get Canada involved, with possible expansion. Cool. It's a brand new large market. I like the idea of inviting 2-4 Canadian teams to the league(Vancouver/Calgary/Toronto/Montreal). I wish Mexico city wasn't so far either because, to me, it'd be neat to involve our brothers from the south in one of the four major sports. Mexico is FULL of people, huge market even though the country is relatively poor compared to American/Canadian GDP. Still, it's a way sports could Unite the Americas, Involving all in, exposure, wealth, etc. 

3 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Pretty cool. Rules changes are changing the way the game is played since I first started watching it but it's still pretty entertaining game right now, if the NFL can figure out how to really get Canada involved, with possible expansion. Cool. It's a brand new large market. I like the idea of inviting 2-4 Canadian teams to the league(Vancouver/Calgary/Toronto/Montreal). I wish Mexico city wasn't so far either because, to me, it'd be neat to involve our brothers from the south in one of the four major sports. Mexico is FULL of people, huge market even though the country is relatively poor compared to American/Canadian GDP. Still, it's a way sports could Unite the Americas, Involving all in, exposure, wealth, etc. 

I don't think Canada is a brand new market. I think it's already a gained market for the most part. I'm pretty sure more people watch the NFL than the CFL. If the Raiders and Packers are doing an exhibition game in Winnipeg, it's because they feel they're going to sell out and make money out of it, and that's because they know the interest is already high. So it's not a matter of selling the NFL to the Canadian market, but rather to benefit from the already existing Canadian market for a preseason game that perhaps doesn't always sell out back home. They can probably even sell the tickets at a premium instead of a discount. It won't grow the market, because it is already there. But the Raiders have been needing money for a while, so maybe this is merely a money grab.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

If the Raiders and Packers are doing an exhibition game in Winnipeg, it's because they feel they're going to sell out and make money out of it, and that's because they know the interest is already high. So it's not a matter of selling the NFL to the Canadian market, but rather to benefit from the already existing Canadian market for a preseason game that perhaps doesn't always sell out back home. They can probably even sell the tickets at a premium instead of a discount. ....the Raiders have been needing money for a while, so maybe this is merely a money grab.

Excellent synopsis.

Not sure exactly how the cash is split but the home -team Raiders would get a larger slice of the local moneys in preseason. Dependent on their lease terms, the City of Oakland may get a taste of that money too. However, since they've been in a pissing match with the City of Oakland , I'm sure the Raiders are happy to take their circus on the road and collect some Canadian loonies instead. In some small way, the Raiders are also pimping the new Las Vegas brand, wooing the winnipeggers to the desert for some sunshine, gambling and football.