Raiders/Packers to play in Winnipeg, Canada week 3 of preseason

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, UtahUtesFan said:

San Antonio is at the top of NFL markets that don't have a team, but Kentucky, lol 

Well yeah, I mean I'm pretty sure the Bengals are a local broadcast in the state. I might be wrong though. I'm not from either area. I'm not neccessarly saying they deserve a team or anything I'm just saying tapping into markets that already have fans that watch a team on local broadcast isn't maybe as rich as catching a whole new fan base in Canada. (Maybe it is IDK for sure I'm just thinking out-loud I guess. ) I'm not doubting San Antionio can support a franchise either but they fit my argument about cannibalizing whats already there vs tapping into Canada and creating new... Don't most those fans already support one of Houston or Dallas? Maybe both at times?

Edited by SimbaWho

15 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

There's no way to "factually" back my statement up other than just opinion, which, one other canadian fan sort of agreed with me. 

So... Maybe... the opinion or take... It's not worthy of nose bleed. It's ok if you disagree, I understand, there are fans in Canada of NFL teams, but I don't get the blatant condescending take like YOU know most are just as serious as American fans with teams in their city's/states and local TV channels... and I'm just acting like "that" ignorant American....  One guy mentioned a 14 hour drive from Winnipeg just to watch the Vikings or something... The above poster mentioned catching games on the internet(not hard, but still) Sorry if I think that's like, not normal in Canada. Maybe it is and you're all that committed. I just thought, through pure ease, it's easier for American fans to be more serious(or even more casual... lol) about teams than Canadian fans are. Not because we're better, or whatever, but because a Canadian has to jump some minor hoops to watch games or go to games, etc, that for the most part American's don't. I just thought/think it'd be easier for fans to latch on and stay on if Canada had it's own team(S) that they could locally broadcast every week.

You are very much correct.

It is more difficult to be a fan in Canada

-It is harder to get games, 2 seasons ago we had to stream Sunday ticket and it was terrible.

-It is harder to access content, most of us rely on podcasts from the markets that we follow.

-Most Canadians do not have a deep background with football. Not a lot of people play and not a lot have a deep understanding of the game. I started religiously following football when a guy I played with in college signed with the Bears.

-It is not a generational thing. There are very few people I know that have 3-4 generations of fans to a certain team. I am working on it with my kids, but my dad was a casual Patriots fan growing up on the East coast and never mentioned them to be growing up.

-It is cliche, but hockey is like football up here. It is the centre of the sports world in markets that have hockey teams. People adjust their schedules around the hockey schedule.

-Fantasy and sports betting, which is legal, is probably a more major draw then fans individual allegiances to a team.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

There's no way to "factually" back my statement up other than just opinion, which, one other canadian fan sort of agreed with me. 

So... Maybe... the opinion or take... It's not worthy of nose bleed. It's ok if you disagree, I understand, there are fans in Canada of NFL teams, but I don't get the blatant condescending take like YOU know most are just as serious as American fans with teams in their city's/states and local TV channels... and I'm just acting like "that" ignorant American....  One guy mentioned a 14 hour drive from Winnipeg just to watch the Vikings or something... The above poster mentioned catching games on the internet(not hard, but still) Sorry if I think that's like, not normal in Canada. Maybe it is and you're all that committed. I just thought, through pure ease, it's easier for American fans to be more serious(or even more casual... lol) about teams than Canadian fans are. Not because we're better, or whatever, but because a Canadian has to jump some minor hoops to watch games or go to games, etc, that for the most part American's don't. I just thought/think it'd be easier for fans to latch on and stay on if Canada had it's own team(S) that they could locally broadcast every week.

Just to clear things up. We don't all live in igloos and have no access to tv ;) Getting access to an NFL game is rather easy and included in basic cable packages Nation wide. The post you shared certainly describes casual fans. But that exist in every country. 

As for the bold I would say the Bills in Toronto series would be a major argument against it. Those games were like the United Nations of fans and a far cry from a home field advantage despite the Bills having a wide range of fans from Southwest Ontario (approximately 18-20% of fans on any Sunday come from there). 

52 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You are very much correct.

It is more difficult to be a fan in Canada

-It is harder to get games, 2 seasons ago we had to stream Sunday ticket and it was terrible.

-It is harder to access content, most of us rely on podcasts from the markets that we follow.

-Most Canadians do not have a deep background with football. Not a lot of people play and not a lot have a deep understanding of the game. I started religiously following football when a guy I played with in college signed with the Bears.

-It is not a generational thing. There are very few people I know that have 3-4 generations of fans to a certain team. I am working on it with my kids, but my dad was a casual Patriots fan growing up on the East coast and never mentioned them to be growing up.

-It is cliche, but hockey is like football up here. It is the centre of the sports world in markets that have hockey teams. People adjust their schedules around the hockey schedule.

-Fantasy and sports betting, which is legal, is probably a more major draw then fans individual allegiances to a team.

Where do you live? (Just curious) Because my experience is honestly quite the opposite. 

- The Dazn thing was a huge oversight by everyone involved. But before then the Sunday ticket was readily available via most if not all cable packages. Supposed to be back to normal by now I believe.

- Most Canadians may not, but the ones who do (at least the ones I have interacted with over the years) follow it religiously such as ourselves.

- Agreed about hockey. Makes me sick though lol

On 5/29/2019 at 2:23 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Just to clear things up. We don't all live in igloos and have no access to tv ;) Getting access to an NFL game is rather easy and included in basic cable packages Nation wide. The post you shared certainly describes casual fans. But that exist in every country. 

As for the bold I would say the Bills in Toronto series would be a major argument against it. Those games were like the United Nations of fans and a far cry from a home field advantage despite the Bills having a wide range of fans from Southwest Ontario (approximately 18-20% of fans on any Sunday come from there). 

I'm not even trying to be that guy. Honestly. I live in Michigan, Family in Windsor/London.... Yeah. Like, Canada is sweet, and if I could get a good job I might move to Toronto/Montreal but they're expensive. lol. 

Like, Idk, I feel like you're still not grasping my main argument. Maybe southern Ontario is a bit different but I'm not sure all Provinces play a local broadcast of a certain team and even more so if they did so of a team from a city in your own Province then I'd have to believe more fans would be draw in that either weren't before or just casually caught a game when they could. Like who does Quebec city, Calgary or Halifax watch? Whatever the national broadcast plays that week? Or is their a team that they specifically play every week so a fan base is developed?

I gets Canadians like football. I just think they'd like it better if they had their own teams. 

Edited by SimbaWho

"Green Bay's preseason game against the Oakland Raiders in Canada could be a hard sell for Packers fans.

The cheapest tickets Monday on five secondary market sites sampled were $112, but four of the five sites were listing tickets at $159 and up. 
Tickets went on sale Saturday. The average lowest ticket price for the Winnipeg game was $165.

By comparison, tickets for the Packers' regular-season game in November against the Los Angeles Chargers at  ROKiT Field at Dignity Health Sports Park, which has a seating capacity similar to IG Field, started at $202, and the average of least-expensive seats was $225.

Also for comparison, the least-expensive tickets for the Packers' other preseason games are $10 for Houston at Lambeau Field, $13 for Packers at Baltimore and $6 for Kansas City at Green Bay."

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

"Green Bay's preseason game against the Oakland Raiders in Canada could be a hard sell for Packers fans.

The cheapest tickets Monday on five secondary market sites sampled were $112, but four of the five sites were listing tickets at $159 and up. 
Tickets went on sale Saturday. The average lowest ticket price for the Winnipeg game was $165.

By comparison, tickets for the Packers' regular-season game in November against the Los Angeles Chargers at  ROKiT Field at Dignity Health Sports Park, which has a seating capacity similar to IG Field, started at $202, and the average of least-expensive seats was $225.

Also for comparison, the least-expensive tickets for the Packers' other preseason games are $10 for Houston at Lambeau Field, $13 for Packers at Baltimore and $6 for Kansas City at Green Bay."

It'll be a hard sell for most fans to be fair. I think it's far too pricey but I guess this is the first and maybe last time NFL football will be played there. People will pay it.

• 2 weeks later...