Raiders/Packers to play in Winnipeg, Canada week 3 of preseason

RaidersAreOne

20 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I don't think Canada is a brand new market. I think it's already a gained market for the most part. I'm pretty sure more people watch the NFL than the CFL. If the Raiders and Packers are doing an exhibition game in Winnipeg, it's because they feel they're going to sell out and make money out of it, and that's because they know the interest is already high. So it's not a matter of selling the NFL to the Canadian market, but rather to benefit from the already existing Canadian market for a preseason game that perhaps doesn't always sell out back home. They can probably even sell the tickets at a premium instead of a discount. It won't grow the market, because it is already there. But the Raiders have been needing money for a while, so maybe this is merely a money grab.

I mean the interest is there no doubt. No doubts. But Canadian fans aren't quite as crazy about any team in the NFL as they are there own in the other leagues. They love the Raptors and Blue Jays when they do well. I think just as much or even more interest would hold for a NFL franchise in one or all the four city's I mentioned (TOR/MON/CAL/VAN). It'd be a new market for a franchise vs starting something up in like idk, Kentucky or San Antonio where there are also already football fans likely already watching football every weekend vs (likely) the Canadian who catches games when he can and is a casual fan. Starting a franchise in Canada, specifically TOR/MON, grabbing high T.V. ratings for a Canadian team would be a new market. Selling apparel, etc, all that would be new and growing in Canada. While the basis and want is there, It's not a developed/mature market for the NFL. 

If anyone wants advice on what to do in Winnipeg let me know.

It is a pretty bumping town in the summer. 

My guess is that WPG got it over Regina because from a tourism stand point there is more to do here. It is easier to fly in here, and Saskatchewan sucks.

• Like 1

While many people in Canada are serious fans like myself, I think it is accurate to say that fans in Canada are more casual.

I watch every Bears game and waste a ton of my time on the internet talking about it. 0 other people in my family adjust their schedules to watch games and while they are "fans" of teams they do not really follow them that closely.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, TENINCH said:

Packers should be a CFL team. This is a good start. :)

Lol. However, I think it is worth saying if there is one team that would fit into the CFL/Canada best, it would be the Vikings. The location and Viking history in Newfoundland, plus zero NFL Championships.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Apparently the Raiders and Packers do.

Actually, Winnipeg is one....what does Canada call them.....Provinces (?)....over in Manitoba. Perhaps they'll go visit LBC's Grandmothers birthplace in Saskatoon....which is located to the west in the Province of Saskatchewan....but it doesnt sound likely.  

22 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Lol. However, I think it is worth saying if there is one team that would fit into the CFL/Canada best, it would be the Vikings. The location and Viking history in Newfoundland, plus zero NFL Championships.

There are many Vikings season ticket holders from Winnipeg.

14 hour round trip each home game to get disappointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Actually, Winnipeg is one....what does Canada call them.....Provinces (?)....over in Manitoba. Perhaps they'll go visit LBC's Grandmothers birthplace in Saskatoon....which is located to the west in the Province of Saskatchewan....but it doesnt sound likely.  

Ya i tried to edit right way... not quick enough apparently. 

5 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Just enjoy your Canadian football game.

22 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Kinda feels wrong about it being in Winnipeg.

Of course, I only say that because the CFL team that matches the Pack's colors are the Eskimos in Edmonton.

that's might be a  part of the reason they chose to go elsewhere...each brand wants to maintain its brand

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:36 AM, SimbaWho said:

I mean the interest is there no doubt. No doubts. But Canadian fans aren't quite as crazy about any team in the NFL as they are there own in the other leagues. They love the Raptors and Blue Jays when they do well. I think just as much or even more interest would hold for a NFL franchise in one or all the four city's I mentioned (TOR/MON/CAL/VAN). It'd be a new market for a franchise vs starting something up in like idk, Kentucky or San Antonio where there are also already football fans likely already watching football every weekend vs (likely) the Canadian who catches games when he can and is a casual fan. Starting a franchise in Canada, specifically TOR/MON, grabbing high T.V. ratings for a Canadian team would be a new market. Selling apparel, etc, all that would be new and growing in Canada. While the basis and want is there, It's not a developed/mature market for the NFL. 

So much about this post is blatantly wrong and out of touch I got a nose bleed. The bold specifically is just an awful take and factually incorrect. 

20 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

So much about this post is blatantly wrong and out of touch I got a nose bleed. The bold specifically is just an awful take and factually incorrect. 

There's no way to "factually" back my statement up other than just opinion, which, one other canadian fan sort of agreed with me. 

On 5/27/2019 at 10:23 AM, WindyCity said:

While many people in Canada are serious fans like myself, I think it is accurate to say that fans in Canada are more casual.

I watch every Bears game and waste a ton of my time on the internet talking about it. 0 other people in my family adjust their schedules to watch games and while they are "fans" of teams they do not really follow them that closely.

So... Maybe... the opinion or take... It's not worthy of nose bleed. It's ok if you disagree, I understand, there are fans in Canada of NFL teams, but I don't get the blatant condescending take like YOU know most are just as serious as American fans with teams in their city's/states and local TV channels... and I'm just acting like "that" ignorant American....  One guy mentioned a 14 hour drive from Winnipeg just to watch the Vikings or something... The above poster mentioned catching games on the internet(not hard, but still) Sorry if I think that's like, not normal in Canada. Maybe it is and you're all that committed. I just thought, through pure ease, it's easier for American fans to be more serious(or even more casual... lol) about teams than Canadian fans are. Not because we're better, or whatever, but because a Canadian has to jump some minor hoops to watch games or go to games, etc, that for the most part American's don't. I just thought/think it'd be easier for fans to latch on and stay on if Canada had it's own team(S) that they could locally broadcast every week.

Edited by SimbaWho