Why is it so hard to see future dynasties like the Patriots and 49ers?

Championshiporbust

Why will it be hard to see future dynasties after the Patriots dynasty ends? Why? Is it that hard to make 13 AFC title appearances in 18 years?

Add the Golden State Warriors in the mix from the NBA as well.

Why?

(1)New England Patriots--.731%, 263 wins,97 losses. Made postseason 16 times out of 20 seasons and won 30 postseason games. Won division 16 times. 13 AFC title appearances,Made 9 Super Bowl appearances and won 6 Super Bowl titles.

Well, it's hard because the NFL has been driving for parity for a generation now. 

The way the salary cap works, it SHOULD be difficult to retain your best players from a successful season - meeting previous standards should be hard. The worst teams should get the best recruits, there should be more room to grow etc. It's hard because once you get to the top of the tree (playoffs...) you come against teams that are either as good, or can be better on their day. 

Even for NE, you can't say it's been 20 years of dominating every season. We've come up against juggernaughts that we couldn't overcome on certain years.

Belichick breaks the wheel because he's such a wizard of a coach - in terms of player management, coach management and hiring, play calling, seeing weaknesse, seeing strengths, delegating. Plus, once you become as successful he has it must be easier to get players to buy in. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

Why will it be hard to see future dynasties after the Patriots dynasty ends? Why? Is it that hard to make 13 AFC title appearances in 18 years?

Why?

(1)New England Patriots--.731%, 263 wins,97 losses. Made postseason 16 times out of 20 seasons and won 30 postseason games. Won division 16 times. 13 AFC title appearances,Made 9 Super Bowl appearances and won 6 Super Bowl titles.

Because with salary cap, it is possible ONLY IF you have a QB who can score enough (like 440?) with castoffs; who needs less than 3 seconds in pockets; who can deliver at critical times (even without a top tier WR).

Belichick is not part of the equation (on offense at least), just check the seasons between 2001 and 2006, Brady started doing magic since his first season as starter.

If you think defense is the key, just remember that in SB against Eagles, Pats #5 PA defense played like one of the worst only because Pats offense played only 26 minutes. So please don't pull "Dan Marino couldve won 5 SB with Don Shula".

Edited by William Lee

You need 

1. Great coaching

2. Great qb play

3. Great asset management

4. Great scouting 

Cant do it with just of those things, and not many teams put all four together for very long. Recently probably only the Seahawks, eagles and of course the pats.

The Patriots are a complete anomaly for this era. There are plenty of teams that get loaded on talent but they aren't able to sustain it like the Seahawks due to the salary cap and free agency. When you have the greatest QB and the greatest HC of all time you are at such a competitive advantage over every team in the league right off the bat. The Patriots can have multiple high round picks bust and it just doesn't matter. You can trade Brandin Cooks away for a 1st round pick that doesn't play at all this season due to injury and it just doesn't matter. You can lose Malcolm Butler in FA and it just doesn't matter. You can have Gronk look like a shell of himself and it just doesn't matter.

As long as Brady is the QB and Belichick is the Head Coach of the New England Patriots, they will always be the favorite going into any season. The chances that you'll see a HC/QB pairing of this caliber is so exceedingly rare that it may as well be impossible to ever happen again.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

Is it that hard to make 13 AFC title appearances in 18 years?

Why?

Yeah, it is. :/

I'm a little mixed up as to just how to respond to this topic, as so much is being jettisoned, knowledge-wise, just to bring it into existence. And leave the Warriors out of it. Not only a different league altogether, but a unique situation, even within that other league. 

Belichick is a genius, and Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever. That's the gist of it. What exactly I just claimed MEANS, I'm not going to get into that, as there is no point.

So...potential future dynasties? 

Right off the bat I'll go Ballard/Reich/Luck in Indy, Pace/Nagy/Trubisky in Chicago, and Rosenbloom/Pederson/Wentz in Philadelphia. I think all the elements there are proven enough that, given good luck, the potential for dynasties resides within. While I'm optimistic about the situations in Green Bay, Kansas City, and Cleveland, there are aspects about each of those teams that give me pause. Oakland/Las Vegas could rise up and be a juggernaut, too. (Mayock is that smart...)

• Like 2

Another thing I should mention: We very well may see another team win 3 SB's in a period of 4-5 years like the Patriots did from 01-04 or 14-18. If a team with a top 3-5 QB hits it big on a few draft classes in a row and has things go their way in the postseason then that could very well happen.

But you'll never see a team sustain 18 years of excellence like this again. 

Edited by Bolts223

12 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Another thing I should mention: We very well may see another team win 3 SB's in a period of 4-5 years like the Patriots did from 01-04 or 14-18. If a team with a top 3-5 QB hits it big on a few draft classes in a row and has things go their way in the postseason then that could very well happen.

But you'll never see a team sustain 18 years of excellence like this again. 

Most likely not but all records or most get broken when enough time passes so I can't rule this out completely. 

The 49ers won 3 titles in 6 years

The Cowboys won 3 titles in 4 years

The Steelers won 4 titles in 6 years

Every decade there is basically 1 team that dominates and wins 3 SBs during that decade

Patriots

Patriots

Cowboys

49ers

Steelers

Packers

Browns

Bears

The question that arises though is if the salary cap era will prevent that from happening again. There is no real evidence yet. I could see it happening that this trend stops and we see even more parity and tons of teams winning SBs with QBs on rookie deals considering how much difference there is between a rookie deal and vet deal for a QB in terms of cap hit.

18 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

The Patriots are a complete anomaly for this era. There are plenty of teams that get loaded on talent but they aren't able to sustain it like the Seahawks due to the salary cap and free agency. When you have the greatest QB and the greatest HC of all time you are at such a competitive advantage over every team in the league right off the bat. The Patriots can have multiple high round picks bust and it just doesn't matter. You can trade Brandin Cooks away for a 1st round pick that doesn't play at all this season due to injury and it just doesn't matter. You can lose Malcolm Butler in FA and it just doesn't matter. You can have Gronk look like a shell of himself and it just doesn't matter.

As long as Brady is the QB and Belichick is the Head Coach of the New England Patriots, they will always be the favorite going into any season. The chances that you'll see a HC/QB pairing of this caliber is so exceedingly rare that it may as well be impossible to ever happen again.

And also, playing in a weak division help them every year to get to the PO

• Like 1