Why is it so hard to see future dynasties like the Patriots and 49ers?

Championshiporbust

3 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

To continue on my last post - People I think forget that the AFC East was a pretty good division in the early 2000’s when the Pats won the first 3. The Dolphins and Jets were both playoff teams in 2001, the Dolphins went 10-6 in 03 and the Bills and Jets both had winning records in 04, the latter of which nearly knocked off the 15-1 Steelers in the playoffs. The long term impact of being in the division of the Patriots can lead to a lot of organizational disfunction and impatience. 

The Fins and Jets both made it, but they were first round exits (and, that Miami team didn't see the playoffs again for seven years). And, while I give you that 03 Dolphin and 04 Jet thing (that Jet team started 5-0, if i'm not mistaken), the 04 Bills couldn't even beat Pittsburgh's backups at home with a playoff spot on the line.

16 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

The Fins and Jets both made it, but they were first round exits (and, that Miami team didn't see the playoffs again for seven years). And, while I give you that 03 Dolphin and 04 Jet thing (that Jet team started 5-0, if i'm not mistaken), the 04 Bills couldn't even beat Pittsburgh's backups at home with a playoff spot on the line.

That 04 Bills team was incredibly bipolar. They did finish 5th overall in SRS and with a point differential of +111 in any case. It was far from a bad team. 

3 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

This is just patently false. The AFC was a bloodbath in the 2000's and to say it was weak shows me you either forgot or never knew what the NFL was like back then. Other than the Patriots the AFC consisted of: The Peyton Manning Colts, the Big Ben/Troy Polamalu Steelers, the Ray Lewis Ravens and the LT Chargers. That isn't to mention that other franchises like the Titans/Jets/Broncos/Chiefs/Jaguars also had some really good teams during this time.

To prove my point here is the head to head record between the AFC and NFC from 2001-2009

2001: 30-30 tie

2002: 34-30 AFC

2003: 34-30 AFC

2004: 44-20 AFC

2005: 34-30 AFC

2006: 40-24 AFC

2007: 32-32 tie

2008: 34-30 AFC

2009: 37-27 AFC

So in every season of this decade the AFC either beat the NFC or they evenly tied. In some seasons (2004 and 2006) it was extremely lopsided. 2004 is actually the most lopsided it has ever been in the history of the NFL and the Patriots still dominated their way through the AFC playoffs that season.

In terms of AFC teams to challenge the Patriots, there has never truly been one in the East. As for the rest of the conference, since 2003, here are the QBs that have represented the AFC in the Super Bowl other than Peyton, Brady and Ben:

Flacco once

That is all. That's not parity. That's basically three great teams and a bunch of other guys. I don't care about interconference records. When it came down to it in the AFC, it was basically Ben v Peyton v Brady. No other team was a serious threat. 

50 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

In terms of AFC teams to challenge the Patriots, there has never truly been one in the East. As for the rest of the conference, since 2003, here are the QBs that have represented the AFC in the Super Bowl other than Peyton, Brady and Ben:

Flacco once

That is all. That's not parity. That's basically three great teams and a bunch of other guys. I don't care about interconference records. When it came down to it in the AFC, it was basically Ben v Peyton v Brady. No other team was a serious threat. 

Parity has absolutely nothing to do with which conference is better. And the Patriots have beaten some of the best NFC teams to emerge in the last 20 years whether it be the GSOT Rams or the LOB Seahawks. 

Edited by Bolts223

12 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

In your opinion, excluding Brady, who was the best QB in that division since 2001? Answer that question, and you'll see my point.

I said already, with 440 pts and time-control offense, Pats could have gone 4-2 or 5-1 in most divisions.

Lousy offenses from Jets, Bills and Phins only made the wins look easier, but it doesn't mean Pats would have lost more if those teams had better offense 

Again, 440 = 16 x 27.5, and with time-control offense, it is almost impossible for opponents to win unless Brady had really bad games, which happens 1 out of 4 games.

How much does time-control offense impact W-L results? the last SB against Rams, Pats offense played 34 minutes, Rams offense played 26 minutes. In previous SB against Eagles, Pats #5 PA defense played like one of the worst simply because Pats offense played only 26 minutes. The key reason that Chiefs defense couldn't stop Brady in OT in AFCCG was because the defense played 39 minutes during regular time.

Edited by William Lee

On 5/27/2019 at 11:09 AM, Art_Vandalay said:

The road to HFA becomes a whole lot easier when you're guaranteed 5 wins minimum in the division each year. The AFC in general was never that great during the Patriots dynasty either. The divisional round game was rarely against a great team. Having to beat Ben or Peyton in the championship game was the only real challenge.

Better than the NFC. The AFC has won more SBs in that time period when you exclude all the SBs NE was in. Have a better cross-conference record too.

To answer the OP, it is because no one is able to recognize quickly enough how the league is changing and what the correct structure of a team there is to dominate that changed league.

And then there is luck involved as well. There is no way NE thought Brady would be their QB for 20 years, and it likely would have never happened if Bledsoe didnt get injured.

11 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Better than the NFC. The AFC has won more SBs in that time period when you exclude all the SBs NE was in. Have a better cross-conference record too.

Yeah, people are forgetting how strong the AFC was for the majority of the 2000's. 

Hell, the AFC in 2004 might have been the strongest conference in recent NFL history. 

Edited by game3525

12 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Yeah, people are forgetting how strong the AFC was for the majority of the 2000's. 

Hell, the AFC in 2004 might have been the strongest conference in recent NFL history. 

yeah I'm struggling to understand why people like to talk down the AFC all the time. There were plenty of great teams who did not make the SB and if they did they could easily won it like 01 Steelers, 03 Colts, 04 Steelers, 07 Colts/Chargers etc. 

2 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

yeah I'm struggling to understand why people like to talk down the AFC all the time. There were plenty of great teams who did not make the SB and if they did they could easily won it like 01 Steelers, 03 Colts, 04 Steelers, 07 Colts/Chargers etc. 

don't think I feared any NFC team around that time..maybe the mcnabb eagles..used to wish the steelers were in the NFC lol

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

06 Chargers/Ravens/Patriots, 05 Colts, 03 Chiefs, 08 Titans, 09 Chargers

the 2000's AFC is arguably better than the NFC was in the late 80's/early 90's. It was just an absolute gauntlet.

And even this decade the AFC isn't even that bad. From 2010-2018 the NFC has won the interconference record 5 times and the AFC 4 times. The AFC won it last year. (34-30)

Edited by Bolts223

On 5/27/2019 at 11:09 AM, Art_Vandalay said:

The road to HFA becomes a whole lot easier when you're guaranteed 5 wins minimum in the division each year. The AFC in general was never that great during the Patriots dynasty either. 

The AFC East has the best win % against non-division opponents when you take away each division’s winner (meaning the 2nd-through-4th placed team in any given season) since 2000. The AFC East is also tied for most seasons with multiple 10+ wins teams in that same span (tied with NFCE with 9). Finally, the Pats win over 70% of their games vs any division, with the lone exception being the AFCW at .673. 

The AFCE narrative is a tired one and I’m pretty sure I’ve brought this up to you specifically in the past, with no response.