43M's Gaming Journal: A Few New Review and Red Dead 2!!!!

43M

15 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Coworker of mine recently suggested this as well. Looks pretty good but really damn short.

Yeah its like 8-10 hours I think. The story is tremendous though. Gaming is visually stunning as well. One of the best single player games I have played. Cant wait for the sequel on Xbox Series X

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I have had some things come up in life which has limited my time to play games drastically.     I will be moving next month, and hopefully I can get back into this sometime after Thanksgiving, but it MAY be until after the new year.    

2021 cant be worse than 2020....can it? 

sad dumb and dumber GIF

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Just a quick update.

I have had some things come up in life which has limited my time to play games drastically.     I will be moving next month, and hopefully I can get back into this sometime after Thanksgiving, but it MAY be until after the new year.    

2021 cant be worse than 2020....can it? 

sad dumb and dumber GIF

Hope everything is okay, good luck with the move!

• 4 weeks later...

11-12-2020 UPDATE

So I am mostly done with my move, although I will probably be moving AGAIN next summer or fall...ugh.

Anyway, I am still contemplating what to play next.    Im leaning towards Zelda, but I might play another, shorter game first to bridge the gap, especially with the holidays coming up.   I got a brand new wireless XBox controller for my PC games, and Im eager to really try it out.     

I anticipate starting a game up here soon.     As early as this weekend maybe, but I may hold off until after Thanksgiving.  Not sure yet.

I am currently working on a list of ALL the games I want to play/beat before I get a PS5.    My current projection is that I will get a PS5 sometime next holiday season unless something comes out that forces my hand earlier than that.    However, I have big enough backlog of games I want to play that I should have no issue waiting another year to get a new console.

• 1 month later...

1ZSvPebv

After nearly, two months, Im finally settled down and ready to get back into this!

Normally, I'd probably wait until after the holidays given how busy they can get, but in the hellscape that is 2020,  whats the point?

I've already started playing Zelda:  Breath of the Wild.   About 10-12 hours in...just beat the 2nd Divine Beast.      Its Zelda, so its obviously a top end game....but Ive more complaints than I expect for a Zelda game.....but I will save them for the review..

As of right now, I am considering what I am going to do AFTER Zelda.     There are a lot of games I want to play/replay, but not sure in what order.

Breath of the Wild could very well take me until February,  but I dont know for sure.    

After that, I will probably change it up a bit and play a couple non RPGs....maybe Tomb Raider, and depending on how much I enjoy that, the sequels.     

Then, probably in March or so, Im gonna delve into FF7 Remake.

After that, there are alot of games I want to replay.     I really feel a calling to play Horizon Zero Dawn again, and since I never did much of the Frozen Wilds DLC, there will be some new stuff to look forward to.

Then I want to go through the Witcher games....but Im waiting to hear more about the next gen remaster of Witcher 3....although unless there is a bunch of new content, I will be fine with the original.   Still, playing through all 3 Witchers (and spending the extra time I will with 3).....that will probably take me until late 2021, and by then I should be considering getting a PS5....but it will largely depend on what games are out for next gen...especially exclusives.   if God of War 2 and Horizon 2 are out...I will get it.    If they are delayed until 2022, I will wait.

Either way...no shortage of games for me.   🙂

• Like 2

You are making me want to get back into BotW man. I think i may go back to it next week. I only ever got like halfway through before I kinda lost interest.

I had three primary issues with the game:

Degenerative weapons - I hate the idea of getting a super cool weapon and being like, nope cant use it here because I gotta save it for something tough. Really bugs me. Also drives me nuts when a weapon breaks at the worst time. 

Directionless - Too many times i logged on to play and spent hours going "ohhh i wonder what is over that cliff" and running around, not actually accomplishing anything of note. I wish the game had more actual dungeons to help drive the story and have create more meaningful things to discover as opposed to just of hey, more gold poop.

Difficulty spikes - Maybe its because i suck at the game, or because i hoard the cool weapons but some of the enemies seem to do way too much damage and my character does way too little. At some points, the most effective way for me to defeat a group of enemies is to throw bombs for 15 minutes. Maybe it gets better later because Link gets stronger? or maybe I'll eventually get better? But I just don't feel as powerful as i do in every other Zelda game I've ever played and thats a bummer for me.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, drew39k said:

You are making me want to get back into BotW man. I think i may go back to it next week. I only ever got like halfway through before I kinda lost interest.

I had three primary issues with the game:

Degenerative weapons - I hate the idea of getting a super cool weapon and being like, nope cant use it here because I gotta save it for something tough. Really bugs me. Also drives me nuts when a weapon breaks at the worst time. 

Directionless - Too many times i logged on to play and spent hours going "ohhh i wonder what is over that cliff" and running around, not actually accomplishing anything of note. I wish the game had more actual dungeons to help drive the story and have create more meaningful things to discover as opposed to just of hey, more gold poop.

Difficulty spikes - Maybe its because i suck at the game, or because i hoard the cool weapons but some of the enemies seem to do way too much damage and my character does way too little. At some points, the most effective way for me to defeat a group of enemies is to throw bombs for 15 minutes. Maybe it gets better later because Link gets stronger? or maybe I'll eventually get better? But I just don't feel as powerful as i do in every other Zelda game I've ever played and thats a bummer for me.

I agree with all of your points.

Degenerating weapons isnt new, but it happens too often in this game.   I wish weapons would just wear down to the point where you have to repair them.   Too many weapons you cant even get through a battle without several weapons breaking.   Gets annoying, but its a good enough game that I can get past it.

The scale and openness of the world is great, but I agree things get confusing.   Seems like past Zelda games at least helped guide you on the right path.   This does to a point, but if you get lost, you pretty much have to fast travel to a temple, then go from there.

I can definitely feel Link getting stronger, but you definitely feel weak at times...which Im okay with.  You have to put the work in to feel powerful.   This game requires more tactical approaches and stealth than past Zeldas, which I love.

Of the 3 issues you mentioned...my biggest issue is by far weapons breaking constantly.

I have other issues, but I will address them in my review.

Overall, its still Zelda, and a great game in general.

37 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Happy to hear you're playing BOTW! 

Also, the next gen update for the Witcher isn't adding any new content from what I had seen, have you seen otherwise? 

Not really.    All that is really confirmed is that graphics will be improved (ray tracing added) and some tweaks to gameplay, but just to make things smoother.   I read some rumors about some other things being added, possibly another DLC...but nothing even close to confirmed and probably not true.  

I probably wont wait for that, since its not even confirmed for 2021, and with all the issues CDPR is having, I doubt we will see it before I am ready to play it again.

Besides which, there is already a graphics mod on PC that upscales the graphics pretty decently (from what Ive seen).   

Edited by 43M

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Not really.    All that is really confirmed is that graphics will be improved (ray tracing added) and some tweaks to gameplay, but just to make things smoother.   I read some rumors about some other things being added, possibly another DLC...but nothing even close to confirmed and probably not true.  

I probably wont wait for that, since its not even confirmed for 2021, and with all the issues CDPR is having, I doubt we will see it before I am ready to play it again.

Besides which, there is already a graphics mod on PC that upscales the graphics pretty decently (from what Ive seen).   

I was pretty sure the Witcher 3 upgrade came day 1 on PS5... guess I'm wrong, it was just faster loading times

Edited by JBURGE