43M's Gaming Journal: Skyrim Review and God of War Ragnarok!!!

43M

Thunderblight Ganon is a total ******.   Took me 14 attempts to beat him.    Had to leave the temple and get a few items before I could beat him...plus develop a better strategy.    So satisfying laying waste to that prick.

I feel like the controller(s) I have are somewhat dampering the fun Im having.    The giant Wii U controller sucks, and the generic pro controller I bought, while decent, has some issues, especially with the joysticks.   Feel like this might play somewhat smoother on the Switch....but nothing major.

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

Thunderblight Ganon is a total ******.   Took me 14 attempts to beat him.    Had to leave the temple and get a few items before I could beat him...plus develop a better strategy.    So satisfying laying waste to that prick.

I feel like the controller(s) I have are somewhat dampering the fun Im having.    The giant Wii U controller sucks, and the generic pro controller I bought, while decent, has some issues, especially with the joysticks.   Feel like this might play somewhat smoother on the Switch....but nothing major.

I used the switch pro controller and played on switch and that controller is awesome. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I used the switch pro controller and played on switch and that controller is awesome. 

I couldnt find a new Wii U Pro controller  licensed by Nintendo, so I got a cheap, generic one.   Works okay, but have had issues with both games Ive played.

Was tempted to buy a Switch with some extra money I got, but I just cant justify paying over 350 for a Switch and pro controller, plus buying a game I already own (Zelda), plus having only 2 or 3 other games I want on there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 43M said:

I couldnt find a new Wii U Pro controller  licensed by Nintendo, so I got a cheap, generic one.   Works okay, but have had issues with both games Ive played.

Was tempted to buy a Switch with some extra money I got, but I just cant justify paying over 350 for a Switch and pro controller, plus buying a game I already own (Zelda), plus having only 2 or 3 other games I want on there.

Yeah I get you. Once you have the game already it doesn't make a ton of sense. My Switch is gathering dust since I really only get the big ticket Nintendo exclusives, Zelda and Mario. Once Odyssey 2 and BOTW2 come out then it might make sense for you, but at that point we might have a Switch 2.0

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Yeah I get you. Once you have the game already it doesn't make a ton of sense. My Switch is gathering dust since I really only get the big ticket Nintendo exclusives, Zelda and Mario. Once Odyssey 2 and BOTW2 come out then it might make sense for you, but at that point we might have a Switch 2.0

Agreed.   I honeslty wouldn't be shocked if BotW 2 is a launch title for Nintendos beefed up Switch console thats rumored to be coming out in 2022.    If BotW 2 and a new Xenoblade came out, I would get one.    Wish Nintendo had a few more exclusives to get me excited.

Just a little bit of an update....

So, at first I wasnt enjoying this game as much as Ive enjoyed past Zelda games.    I was playing it more like a traditional Zelda, and this is a much different game than any other Zelda before it, with a strong emphasis on exploration.   Obviously, I love those types of games as evidenced by some of the past games Ive reviewed and loved, but while all Zelda games are pretty big in scope, this is the first one that exploration is absolutely necessary, and the world is crazy big and dense with things to do.   Not quite on the level of Witcher 3 in that regard, but still, there are little things to do everywhere.   I always prided myself in the past on getting through Zeldas without the help of guides or anything like that, but I am using one a bit for BotW because there  is just too much you will miss otherwise.     

However, I took a step back, slowed down, and just started trying to enjoy navigating the world and finding different areas and side quests, and Ive enjoyed it much MUCH more since doing so.    Just a matter of adapting to new format for Zelda.

Anyway, I only have one more Divine Beast to beat, but I am taking my time doing it.   I am enjoying finding the old memories, shrines and other cool stuff hidden around the world.

• Like 3

On 12/26/2020 at 9:03 PM, 43M said:

Just a little bit of an update....

So, at first I wasnt enjoying this game as much as Ive enjoyed past Zelda games.    I was playing it more like a traditional Zelda, and this is a much different game than any other Zelda before it, with a strong emphasis on exploration.   Obviously, I love those types of games as evidenced by some of the past games Ive reviewed and loved, but while all Zelda games are pretty big in scope, this is the first one that exploration is absolutely necessary, and the world is crazy big and dense with things to do.   Not quite on the level of Witcher 3 in that regard, but still, there are little things to do everywhere.   I always prided myself in the past on getting through Zeldas without the help of guides or anything like that, but I am using one a bit for BotW because there  is just too much you will miss otherwise.     

However, I took a step back, slowed down, and just started trying to enjoy navigating the world and finding different areas and side quests, and Ive enjoyed it much MUCH more since doing so.    Just a matter of adapting to new format for Zelda.

Anyway, I only have one more Divine Beast to beat, but I am taking my time doing it.   I am enjoying finding the old memories, shrines and other cool stuff hidden around the world.

So happy to hear! I ended up finishing all 120 or whatever shrines but I had to use a guide to do so. The beeping dowsing machine or whatever its called was driving me nuts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBURGE said:

So happy to hear! I ended up finishing all 120 or whatever shrines but I had to use a guide to do so. The beeping dowsing machine or whatever its called was driving me nuts. 

Ha....yeah, the Shieka Sensor.   Ill definitely be using a guide, especially if I decide to get every Shrine.

• 3 weeks later...

Been awhile since I updated this.

I am still playing Breath of the Wild, but as I stated last time, I decided to take it slower and just explore more.     However, right after I destroyed the 4 Divine Beasts, I went and looked up a few things, and I realized....there was a TON of stuff I didnt do.   Hell, it wasnt until right before I was about to do the last DB that I realized I could increase my invintory with those Korok Seeds...which was primarily the reason I went and read up on things because I was wondering what the hell else I missed.

I became pretty annoyed about how much I didnt see or do.   I did go exploring, but still realized I missed alot.   I couldve went doing all that before I went to face Ganon, but no...what did I do instead?

I started the game from the beginning!

This is a habit with me, especially RPGs.    Ill play it for 10-20 hours, and start over, if only because the first playthrough, I tend to rush myself, plus Im too busy learning everything to really enjoy everything it has to offer.   

So, what Im saying is...this is going to take me a LONG time to complete.   I finally found a groove and on this playthough, I am actually using a guide to show me the locations of Korok Seeds, Shrines and chests.    I dont like using guides much....but I hate missing so much stuff even more.     I used a BotW Interactive Map that shows where pretty much everything is....and Im really enjoying it.    Ive only beaten the first Divine Beast thus far on this playthough, and Ive already uncovered A LOT of things I never I saw on my first playthrough, including a few shrines I never found, and even a new village.   

Since I am going to be taking my sweet old time finishing this, I may actually tinker with a few other games.    There are times when I feel like playing a game to pass time, but dont want to feel rushed or get caught up in Zelda....so I may try another game thats not as big and easier to pick up and put down...which Zelda is not.   😀

I may go through Steam or another gaming library this weekend and look at some other games, just to pass some time.    Nothing story heavy.

• Like 1

I updated my upcoming and considered games on the front page...if anyone is interested.

I decided to jump into Saints Row 4 as a change of pace game from Zelda.      I may invested over 200 hours into Zelda when its all said and done, but I need a little change up to help the game stay fresh, or when I dont feel like doing a deep dive into the Zelda world.

So far, Saints Row 4 is pretty fun.    Feels like a game directed Michael Bay, but I kinda need that mindless change right now.     

So, apparently, Saints Row 4 has some compatibility issues with Windows 10.     It crashes on me every within 15 minutes, and I read that Im not the only one who has had this issue. 

I got the game for pretty much nothing, so its not a big deal, but its still annoying.  

• 43M changed the title to 43M's Gaming Journal: Skyrim Review and God of War Ragnarok!!!