Bart Starr passes away at age 85

Cakeshoppe

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/05/26/bart-starr-hall-fame-qb-and-green-bay-packers-legend-dies-85/1244792001/

"We are saddened to note the passing of our husband, father, grandfather, and friend, Bart Starr. He battled with courage and determination to transcend the serious stroke he suffered in September 2014, but his most recent illness was too much to overcome."

• Like 1

Bart Starr was truly an extraordinary man ON and OFF the football field. He will be missed...

One of my Favorite memories is what my brothers and I called “the Bart Starr Play.”

3rd and short yardage, play-action to Hornung, Taylor, or Pitts, then the Bomb to Dale, Dowler, or McGee! Devastating play that almost always worked due to Starr’s crafty fake, his pinpoint accuracy, and the opponent selling out to defend the Packer punishing run game. Absolutely Devastating!

RIP Bart.

He's one of the few Lombardi era Packers I got to meet. He was definitely a generous man as he took the time to talk with a thoroughly overwhelmed boy (me) and gave me a time I will never forget. He will be missed. RIP Bart.

• Like 1

Condolences from Browns Nation from back in the day when both franchises were truly great. On a personal note - Bart was someone I will never forget for his on the field play. I was a lad of a mere 7 years old when my uncle came over to the house to watch what would be Jim Brown's last NFL game. Your Packers bested my Browns that day - but no matter, the die was cast. I was to be a football fan for life.

Prayers from the 330 to the Starr family. RIP Bart

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 5

Hey guys lifelong Vikings fan here.. just wanted to share a story about Mr. Starr. I’m currently in the middle of interviewing/shadowing for a sales job. Ironically I spent this past week in South Dakota with a 60 year old lifelong packers fan who has been to multiple Super Bowls and met Bart on more than one occasion. We had a lot of time to talk football and in between him ribbing me for being a Vikings fan he told me a story about the time he was walking into the Super Bowl just behind Bart and his wife and there was a guy with his young son with a sign that read “need tickets can only afford face value “ we’ll mr. Starr reaches into his pocket and gave the man 2 tickets for free.. from a Vikings fan RIP Bart your kindness and class will be sorely missed! 

• Like 2

Was never in the presence of Bart Starr, but did write him back while I was in H.S......He kindly sent me an autograph photo and some Packer information on the 1978 draft.....I still have the photo and many fond memories of a very humble, yet very accomplished human being.....Seems I also remember him receiving an automobile for winning SB MVP.....A car in which he donated to one of his charities.....R.I.P. Bart

Bart Starr is one of the few sports figures who loomed as large off the field as he did on the field.  There's a select few who did as much for society post playing as much as they excelled on the field (Palmer, Ali, Robinson, Payton come to mind).  I felt he fell into the right position in Green Bay playing for Lombardi.  Starr was very much the calm, reserved leader that countered the loud brash coach.  He played in a different era when the QB called the plays.  It must have taken a lot to earn that confidence from Lombardi.  Almost every book I've read by or about a Lombardi packer made sure to note how wonderful a man he was.  I was so glad he was able to make it to Lambeau one last time for Favre's number retirement.  He is one of the few athletes who truly deserves role model status.  

• Like 1