2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

9 hours ago, ragingraider said:

I agree with all that, except Burrow is special. He is a different QB. He is as sure a thing as you can get to a future hall of famer at QB, the most important position on the field, as I have ever seen.

If you felt strongly someone was Joe Montana or Tom Brady what would you give up for those guys. I am happy to mortgage a full draft class for one of those guys. Jordan Love, Eason, Tua, or not comparable to Burrow. Tua would be without the injury.

We can get a top WR1 and fill our defensive holes, but I just don;t think we are going anywhere with Carr as our QB 

So was Robert Griffin to many people. Burrow looks really good right now. And it's easy to get high on him. But, no. You're not winning diddly by mortgaging a full draft class. 

The harsh reality is that Joe Burrow rose to superstardom in 1 season following a transfer and a middling season last year. I think he's a bonafide 1st round guy, but still, there is absolutely no way I'd mortgage the franchise for him. 

The list of 1 year wonders who wind up not panning out is extensive enough for me to get excited about someone's prospects without giving up the future for. There's all the reason in the world to question whether or not Joe Burrow is going to pan out in the NFL.

If I'm say, the Bengals, Joe Burrow's superstar ascent is my absolute worst nightmare that may turn into a dream come true, not the other way around. There's no way you can risk NOT taking him with the #1 pick at this point. But he could very easily be just another 1 year wonder who sets your franchise back almost a decade. 

We've seen that game countless times. And you not only think it's a good idea, but that the Bengals would go for it? Would I do it for Joe Montana or Tom Brady? Yes, in retrospect of their proven NFL careers, you bet. But Brady was a late round flier at the same point in his career. Joe was a 3rd rounder. You can't honestly invoke either as reason to trade the house for Joe Burrow and expect to be taken seriously. If anything, it defeats your argument and gives more ammo to someone saying "Heck, lets take Steven Montez in like round 5 and sit him behind the old franchise guy like the Patriots did with Brady and Bledsoe" or "Meh, we can wait until the 3rd where we have 3 picks and see who's available". 

None of the QBs left standing right now were given the Burrow treatment and only Mahomes is a bonafide top-5 right now. So....where you're getting this idea that top-5 QB is necessary to get to a Superbowl is pretty ludicrous. If anything, the teams who are built primarily around superstar QBs were the ones to fall off the quickest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

So was Robert Griffin to many people. Burrow looks really good right now. And it's easy to get high on him. But, no. You're not winning diddly by mortgaging a full draft class. 

The harsh reality is that Joe Burrow rose to superstardom in 1 season following a transfer and a middling season last year. I think he's a bonafide 1st round guy, but still, there is absolutely no way I'd mortgage the franchise for him. 

The list of 1 year wonders who wind up not panning out is extensive enough for me to get excited about someone's prospects without giving up the future for. There's all the reason in the world to question whether or not Joe Burrow is going to pan out in the NFL.

If I'm say, the Bengals, Joe Burrow's superstar ascent is my absolute worst nightmare that may turn into a dream come true, not the other way around. There's no way you can risk NOT taking him with the #1 pick at this point. But he could very easily be just another 1 year wonder who sets your franchise back almost a decade. 

We've seen that game countless times. And you not only think it's a good idea, but that the Bengals would go for it? Would I do it for Joe Montana or Tom Brady? Yes, in retrospect of their proven NFL careers, you bet. But Brady was a late round flier at the same point in his career. Joe was a 3rd rounder. You can't honestly invoke either as reason to trade the house for Joe Burrow and expect to be taken seriously. If anything, it defeats your argument and gives more ammo to someone saying "Heck, lets take Steven Montez in like round 5 and sit him behind the old franchise guy like the Patriots did with Brady and Bledsoe" or "Meh, we can wait until the 3rd where we have 3 picks and see who's available". 

None of the QBs left standing right now were given the Burrow treatment and only Mahomes is a bonafide top-5 right now. So....where you're getting this idea that top-5 QB is necessary to get to a Superbowl is pretty ludicrous. If anything, the teams who are built primarily around superstar QBs were the ones to fall off the quickest.

Exactly. People here think that this team is an elite QB away from a Super Bowl. Look at the Packers, Rodgers finally has a defense and another full season with Adams. Personally I don’t think that the Packers can get by the Niners who also have a full team on both sides of the ball. The last first round QB to win a super bowl was joe flacco 8 years ago. Strong teams can always win. That’s why Tannehill can throw for less than 300 yards and still make it to the AFC championship game. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

People here think that this team is an elite QB away from a Super Bowl.

No we don’t. Do we believe the QB position can and should be upgraded, yes. We know we have a lot of areas that need attention to improve this team. QB happens to be one of them. No one is saying Superbowl or bust all we need is a QB.

29 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Exactly. People here think that this team is an elite QB away from a Super Bowl. Look at the Packers, Rodgers finally has a defense and another full season with Adams. Personally I don’t think that the Packers can get by the Niners who also have a full team on both sides of the ball. The last first round QB to win a super bowl was joe flacco 8 years ago. Strong teams can always win. That’s why Tannehill can throw for less than 300 yards and still make it to the AFC championship game. 

We may even find that Carr will be more successful once given a more talented team around him.  

23 minutes ago, Totty said:

We may even find that Carr will be more successful once given a more talented team around him.  

Or Carr can crumble under the pressure knowing he has no excuses left and still can’t produce anything except a high completion %

29 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's been on my radar for a while. Could end up the best back in the class. My favorite personally. Would jump on him in the 3rd.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire is like a rich man's Darren Sproles. He would fit the smurf RBs that we already have. 

I do like him though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

If you Mortgage the future to select a QB you’re setting them up to fail because you have no building blocks around him.

I don’t think Mayock would ever trade up, unless we were SB contenders missing one piece like a OT, DT, WR, etc. 

Mayock is all about value. 

However, if there is a QB at 12 or 19, that is projected to go in that range come draft time, and Gruden/Mayock both agree it’s a potential upgrade to Carr, I would not be surprised one bit at the selection. 

Edited by BayRaider

Just now, BayRaider said:

I don’t think Mayock would ever trade up, unless we were SB contenders missing one piece like a OT, DT, WR, etc. 

Mayock is all about value. 

I loved how we moved throughout the draft last year. Trading down and then trading up for Renfrow and getting fair-good value was refreshing to see.

• Like 2

@big_palooka

Can you elaborate on Fromms regression and save me like 6 hours of going over snaps? His numbers went from 9 YPA to 7.4 and his completion % from 67 to 60. Seeing Fromm at 60% is mind boggling. He is one of the most accurate passers in college, he makes very similar throws as Drew Brees. 

Reason I’m asking is the 2nd will be full of project QBs such as Love, Eason, Fromm, and Hurts. I fully expect Jon and Mike to make a move since they have three thirds. Fromm is also Grudens style of QB. Short/Medium throws with absolute precision/timing. Also much better pocket awareness than Carr from what I have seen. 

Thanks.