2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, Steins Gate said:

I won't take that gamble. Build up the rest of the roster first. Trade up next year. 

Trade up for what next year....? We aren’t sniffing Lawrence. Not a big Fields fan. 

Tua is a #1 pick in 95% of drafts. The value is there and we have the capital. 

I’m not saying we should trade up, but it’s now or never if we do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Trade up for what next year....? We aren’t sniffing Lawrence. Not a big Fields fan. 

This is how I feel too. We’re within striking distance of a potential franchise QB WITH the draft capital to go get him. If Gruden/Mayock truly do want to move on from Carr I see going after Tua as the smartest move. 

Let’s say they don’t go get him this year and we roll with Carr. We do maybe a game better than this year and pick in the 18-24 range again without the extra 1st round pick we have this year. It would (hopefully) be obvious at this point that Carr isn’t the QBOTF or present so what now? We just sit and franchise caliber QB falls to the mid to late 1st round? There’s absolutely 0% chance we even sniff Lawrence let alone Fields. 

Tua is risky but so is betting on finding a better QB in the following drafts not picking in the top 5

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

This is how I feel too. We’re within striking distance of a potential franchise QB WITH the draft capital to go get him. If Gruden/Mayock truly do want to move on from Carr I see going after Tua as the smartest move. 

Let’s say they don’t go get him this year and we roll with Carr. We do maybe a game better than this year and pick in the 18-24 range again without the extra 1st round pick we have this year. It would (hopefully) be obvious at this point that Carr isn’t the QBOTF or present so what now? We just sit and franchise caliber QB falls to the mid to late 1st round? There’s absolutely 0% chance we even sniff Lawrence let alone Fields. 

Tua is risky but so is betting on finding a better QB in the following drafts not picking in the top 5

Exactly. 

3 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Is that for sure the case though? In the recent past we have seen guys like Mahomes, Watson, Jimmy G, Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Dak, Tannehill, Bridgewater go in that 10-12 range where we currently sit to the second or third round in some cases... I'm not sure its as cut and dry that those true franchise guys are only found in the top 5 anymore like it was a decade or go. Sure there are still some examples of those guys obviously, but there are a number of guys that are franchise, and even MVP caliber guys in the range we're at now that it might make sense to stay put and take a guy there, or even trade down and acquire picks and target a guy we think has long term ability to be the next one of those guys and let them sit for a year behind Carr... I still think Carr can be the guy, but I'm no longer against taking a QB that Gruden and Mayock think gives us the ability at elite QB play, but I still don't think trading up is the right play. 

Edit - I think what's even more important than the draft position where you get these guys is putting them in the best position to succeed. A lot of guys drafted outside of the top 5 weren't neccesarily considered the blue chip, can't miss prospects those top 5 picks were but went on to have more success and better careers because they went to a more stable situation where they could sit and develop for a stretch, or stepped into a team that had a better supporting cast around them from their teammates to coaches. I think there's a chance with our current foundation, free agent money, and other draft picks that we could take a guy that falls to 12 or even in the second round (say a Herbert, Hurts, Love, or Fromm) and they have more success than Tua... Not because they're better talents, but because we have built a better, more stable situation where they wouldn't have to be rushed onto the field week 1 if they weren't ready, and because they have better talent and coaching around them than Tua or ends up going higher and into a worse situation overall (injury concerns to boot), and the extra ammo needed to trade up for him could play a factor in that better situation. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Where was Burrow last year? Because I certainly don’t remember anyone talking about him, now he’s the second coming of Brett  Farve. 

All I’m saying that every year there’s a guy who comes out of nowhere. I can assure you there will be some guy no one is talking about now. 

Now Carr may not be the guy but this team certainly isn’t good enough to win a Super Bowl. I’d rather go all in next season when the roster is stronger. 

30 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Where was Burrow last year? Because I certainly don’t remember anyone talking about him, now he’s the second coming of Brett  Farve. 

All I’m saying that every year there’s a guy who comes out of nowhere. I can assure you there will be some guy no one is talking about now. 

Now Carr may not be the guy but this team certainly isn’t good enough to win a Super Bowl. I’d rather go all in next season when the roster is stronger. 

Burrow/Tua/Lawrence are absolute rarity’s. All three + Wentz are in my Top 4 QB prospects since 2013. 

You can’t just rely on someone coming out of no where. That does not happen often despite what you think. Burrow just had the best college season of all time... that’s an absolute rarity. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Luke Keuhley just retired. Simmons to Panthers confirmed lol jk

Just saw that and had the same idea.  The silver lining is that if it does happen then Brown should fall past 7.  Most had speculated the the Panthers would draft him there.

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Tua is a #1 pick in 95% of drafts. This one has Burrow and Tua is slightly injured. I’m not saying we should trade up, but it’s the one year I’d be ok with it if we did. I loved Kyler Murray last year but was completely 100% against a trade up. 

We’d have to trade up to 2 or 3 probably though. And Miami might trade up to 2 anyways. I’m actually fully expecting Miami to trade up to 2. No way teams are gonna let Tua fall to 5 and the Dolphins know that. 

Then force the trade up giving Detroit 12/19/91 two weeks before the draft for #3 I guess we can cry in our beers because we got Chase Young...If we didn't, one of your QB's fell in our lap. Either way we could 'shake things up' and imagine if we did trade up and both QB's fell and calls started flowing in from every team offering 1sts in 2020 and 2021. Maybe they suck with a rookie QB and we get the #1 in 2021...Profit...LOL