2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-senior-bowl-day-one-south-practice-offense-recap

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/senior-bowl-defense-south-practice-day-one-recap

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-senior-bowl-offense-north-practice-day-one-recap

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-senior-bowl-offense-north-defense-practice-day-one-recap

Best player: Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois

Jeremy Chinn is a live one, folks. Chinn started the day with an elite weigh-in: 6-foot-3, 220 pounds and 32-inch arms illustrate a receiver-like frame on the defensive back end.

Chinn was a dominant player at Southern Illinois given the degree to which he physically outclassed his opponents. He won from single-high as often as he did from a linebacker role with size, speed and closing burst. In Mobile, the Lions' coaching staff is continuing to allow Chinn to win in a range of ways. He took reps at single-high and as a cover cornerback in one-on-one situations on the outside.

And he won — a lot. Chinn's cover technique isn't great in man, but he relied on his physical tools and never panicked. He played decently well in the trail and with the ball in the air. Corner isn't likely his NFL future — he's just too big to be sufficiently shifty — but proving he has man cover skills cements his value as a move safety.

Very interested in that guy and so far so good against a higher level of competition.

• Like 1

Patrick Queen has made a good first impression on me after watching him against Auburn and in the National Championship Game. I'd be happy with him or Murray at 19. Simmons may be beyond Vegas' reach at 12.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 2

I was talking about this with a buddy earlier... And we were on the subject of drafting a guy like Jordan Love or Eason in the first or high second round, and it got me thinking... Particularly for the people that don't believe Carr should even be the starter next season, but in general too... If the idea is to use a high, valuable pick on a QB and sit him for a year (people that say two are dreaming, but more on why that is with the rest of this comment), how often does that ever actually happen in the recent history of the NFL? Back 10-15 years ago, sure, it was common to draft a guy, even in the first and sit them for a year or two to develop, but in the modern NFL how many guys are there? Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers are the only guys I could think of. And both of those situations are different than the situation we currently have IMO. Andy Reid is viewed as one of the elite coaches in the NFL, and has the QB whisperer label, he also had Alex Smith and had been in the playoffs every year prior to that. He was going to be given the time and benefit of the doubt to develop a guy for a year. 

Rodgers was behind a first ballot HOFer and iron man that they literally offered to pay 20 million dollars to stay retired so they could move to Rodgers after 3+ years of him sitting on the pine. They also had a history of playoff appearances under the coach and incumbent QB. 

Every year guys are drafted in the first and the coaching staff says were not going to rush him into action, he's going to sit and learn this year, and almost every year those guys are thrown into the fire, whether it be because the QB play, the season is essentially over, pressure from the fan base/management/ownership... It happened with Bortles, Jackson, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, hell even Carr himself. It's almost every QB drafted early. 

So I'm of the opinion if you really think a giy NEEDS a year on the bench before he's ready to contribute and see the field he absolutely should not be taken in the first round for sure, and possibly not even the early second. I guess one could argue Gruden with his 10 year deal and power inside the front office would give him the ability to commit to sitting a guy for a year (a first round pick just isnt sitting for two years period anymore), but I still don't think I agree with that. This will be year 3, in a new market, new stadium, the pressure to put in the first round pick would be immense in our current situation, especially if DC stumbles even slightly. 

I guess I'm looking for opinions on whether people agree with my assessment or not. And if they do than why guys like Eason/Love would be legitimate options for us with either first round pick. 

I simply don't think in the current landscape you can afford to draft a guy in the first round if you think playing him in the first year will hurt his development or that he just can't be good enough to get on the field, especially on a team that's talented enough to be a .500 team he's coming into. 

2 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

I was talking about this with a buddy earlier... And we were on the subject of drafting a guy like Jordan Love or Eason in the first or high second round, and it got me thinking... Particularly for the people that don't believe Carr should even be the starter next season, but in general too... If the idea is to use a high, valuable pick on a QB and sit him for a year (people that say two are dreaming, but more on why that is with the rest of this comment), how often does that ever actually happen in the recent history of the NFL? Back 10-15 years ago, sure, it was common to draft a guy, even in the first and sit them for a year or two to develop, but in the modern NFL how many guys are there? Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers are the only guys I could think of. And both of those situations are different than the situation we currently have IMO. Andy Reid is viewed as one of the elite coaches in the NFL, and has the QB whisperer label, he also had Alex Smith and had been in the playoffs every year prior to that. He was going to be given the time and benefit of the doubt to develop a guy for a year. 

Rodgers was behind a first ballot HOFer and iron man that they literally offered to pay 20 million dollars to stay retired so they could move to Rodgers after 3+ years of him sitting on the pine. They also had a history of playoff appearances under the coach and incumbent QB. 

Every year guys are drafted in the first and the coaching staff says were not going to rush him into action, he's going to sit and learn this year, and almost every year those guys are thrown into the fire, whether it be because the QB play, the season is essentially over, pressure from the fan base/management/ownership... It happened with Bortles, Jackson, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, hell even Carr himself. It's almost every QB drafted early. 

So I'm of the opinion if you really think a giy NEEDS a year on the bench before he's ready to contribute and see the field he absolutely should not be taken in the first round for sure, and possibly not even the early second. I guess one could argue Gruden with his 10 year deal and power inside the front office would give him the ability to commit to sitting a guy for a year (a first round pick just isnt sitting for two years period anymore), but I still don't think I agree with that. This will be year 3, in a new market, new stadium, the pressure to put in the first round pick would be immense in our current situation, especially if DC stumbles even slightly. 

I guess I'm looking for opinions on whether people agree with my assessment or not. And if they do than why guys like Eason/Love would be legitimate options for us with either first round pick. 

I simply don't think in the current landscape you can afford to draft a guy in the first round if you think playing him in the first year will hurt his development or that he just can't be good enough to get on the field, especially on a team that's talented enough to be a .500 team he's coming into. 

Well if you look at the last two QBs who have won the MVP (Jackson is going to win it this year.) Both guys sat behind another guy. It’s worked out for them. I think a big reason teams don’t do it as much is because of the pressure to win now. Gruden has a 10 year contract so he’s got lots of time. If he thinks that Love or Easton can give a Mahomes type impact I don’t think he’ll have any problems with benching him and letting Carr start. Of course starting 2-4 could change all that.