2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

5 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Well if you look at the last two QBs who have won the MVP (Jackson is going to win it this year.) Both guys sat behind another guy. It’s worked out for them. I think a big reason teams don’t do it as much is because of the pressure to win now. Gruden has a 10 year contract so he’s got lots of time. If he thinks that Love or Easton can give a Mahomes type impact I don’t think he’ll have any problems with benching him and letting Carr start. Of course starting 2-4 could change all that. 

Yeah but even the Ravens initially wanted to sit Jackson the entire year. They were adamant that he would sit, and Flacco got injured so that could have legitimately changed their plans. My main point is that in today's NFL most guys are thrown in their rookie year at some point. Whether its by injury or pressure from outside influences. Gruden does have a long leash in terms of his contract length, but he's also gone 2 years of sub .500 play. Even with the ten year deal if he gets to 3 or 4 years without the playoffs/winning record he'll end up on the hot seat. So what are the odds he drafts a guy he legitimately thinks has to sit for a year before starting and then year 4 will be the first starting experience with a guy and wins will be the expected result regardless. 

My point is I think there's a better chance Gruden trades up for Tua or Herbert than of him taking someone so raw like Love in this particular draft. Because Love does need to sit a year IMO, and if you aren't going to feel confident in a guys ability to play year one, in a league where it's becoming the new norm for guys to play early and find success I'm not sure that's the right pick/direction. 

Now if he thinks Love or Eason (or whoever) is a franchise caliber QB able to play early if the season starts off rocky, the incumbent gets injured, or he can simply beat out whoever else is in the QB room than by all means. 

My main point is guys rarely get a full season to sit anymore. Even when that is supposed to be the plan. So I don't think taking a guy in the first that you think NEEDS to sit to find success long term is the wisest move in the current NFL. 

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

For sure under Reggie, but Mayock might be different.

Mayock doesn't draft based upon feel good stories.  Jacobs just happens to come from a tough upbringing.  Character (AND TALENT) are very important to Mayock.

16 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I want to like Patrick Queen but he is raw with not much starting experience and is small. We have had small quick LBers in the past who just couldn't shed a block in Morrow, Heeney... what makes him different, like others have said, wish we drafted White last year 

Have you watched him?

2 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

Yeah but even the Ravens initially wanted to sit Jackson the entire year. They were adamant that he would sit, and Flacco got injured so that could have legitimately changed their plans. My main point is that in today's NFL most guys are thrown in their rookie year at some point. Whether its by injury or pressure from outside influences. Gruden does have a long leash in terms of his contract length, but he's also gone 2 years of sub .500 play. Even with the ten year deal if he gets to 3 or 4 years without the playoffs/winning record he'll end up on the hot seat. So what are the odds he drafts a guy he legitimately thinks has to sit for a year before starting and then year 4 will be the first starting experience with a guy and wins will be the expected result regardless. 

My point is I think there's a better chance Gruden trades up for Tua or Herbert than of him taking someone so raw like Love in this particular draft. Because Love does need to sit a year IMO, and if you aren't going to feel confident in a guys ability to play year one, in a league where it's becoming the new norm for guys to play early and find success I'm not sure that's the right pick/direction. 

Now if he thinks Love or Eason (or whoever) is a franchise caliber QB able to play early if the season starts off rocky, the incumbent gets injured, or he can simply beat out whoever else is in the QB room than by all means. 

My main point is guys rarely get a full season to sit anymore. Even when that is supposed to be the plan. So I don't think taking a guy in the first that you think NEEDS to sit to find success long term is the wisest move in the current NFL. 

Unless he keeping Carr then he won't need to rush the rookie right.