2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, OG_C2X said:

You guys said watch Love 2018 games right? Was not impressed in the slightest. I'm sorry but hitting WIDE OPEN guys is not impressive. He is not a better QB prospect then Kizer was coming out of Notre Dame. I like Herbert better then Love... But if we are going to develop a QB, I would rather develop Kizer then any QB in this draft not named Joe Burrow. 

You think Carr is a good QB so there is that.

15 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Saw him last year watching devin and winovich he can play all lb spots and de. Great utility lb.

Was going to mention this. He's the type player the Patriots draft, find a role for and he excels in. They are great with these type players

7 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

You guys said watch Love 2018 games right? Was not impressed in the slightest. I'm sorry but hitting WIDE OPEN guys is not impressive. He is not a better QB prospect then Kizer was coming out of Notre Dame. I like Herbert better then Love... But if we are going to develop a QB, I would rather develop Kizer then any QB in this draft not named Joe Burrow. 

Really lazy analysis honestly. Knowing you're an all in on Carr guy makes this post read in defense of 4.

Wirh QBs you draft traits. He has arm talent, accuracy and athleticism. His feet and pocket awareness were great in 2018. He dominated in that offense with timing and accuracy. Comparing him to Kizer whom 2 teams have dumped now is lazy. Kizer isn't the same athlete. Wasn't accurate at ND. And doesn't have the natural throwing ability. Jordan has rare arm talent, quick ability to flick the ball. 

I like Herbert as well. I'd take both QBs over Carr for 2021 and beyond personally. 

And personally, I see Carr retiring when his contract ends.

I've said it before, but Jake Fromm will be a Raider if they get the chance:

He's a Gruden type QB. Insanely smart, coachable. Throws with rhythm and timing. Poised in the pocket. Tough as nails and a great leader. He will impress through the process with his intelligence for the game and leadership. 

Questionable arm talent. But as 3rd round backup, system fit I see the Raiders drafting him. He's the type you want in your QB room. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

And Herbert over Love? Herbert had the best college oline in history and still underwhelmed. Even @ronjon1990 who has seen way more Oregon snaps than any of us has Herbert behind Burrow, Tua, Love, and Eason. 

And Montez, and if KJ Costello had declared, I'd have Herbert behind him too. Same for Jake Bentley. 

If every QB eligible had declared this year, Herbert would be my 9th or 10th ranked QB at best, and even still I'd probably toss a later round flyer on a different project QB since it would be less of an investment. 

Herbert, when he plays, reminds me of a stronger armed Matt Cassel. He's got tools, sure, but his decision making, poise, and penchant for mind numbingly stupid mistakes is astonishingly bad. 

I'm not a Carr hater by any means. I tend to give QBs the benefit of the doubt with system and personnel changes. But I also recognize some of the more legitimate problems some people have with Carr, namely his reluctance to go deep. Now, some may say it's him and others may point to the lack of WR options. It's probably somewhere in the middle. But at least Carr can usually be relied on to not singlehandedly lose games by making boneheaded mistakes. They do happen from time to time, but he's usually conservative enough to not be the losing ingredient (while also not being the winning ingredient either). But if someone really wants to replace Carr with Herbert, I genuinely question their reasons. Herbert would throw deep, yes, and probably into triple coverage for the heck of it, or he'd run around in the backfield for ages looking for a deep option that isn't there and wind up taking a deep sack or fumbling the ball away. 

Even if I were to concede that Carr is nothing more than a bridge type QB who needs epic levels of greatness around him to succeed, I'd still keep him over Herbert for that very reason. I'll take watching the offense spudder and a punt over fumbling on 3rd and 25 on our side of the field.

Herbert is pure fool's gold, and if projections of him to the Chargers are accurate, we can practically bet on at least 2nd place in the division for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Really lazy analysis honestly. Knowing you're an all in on Carr guy makes this post read in defense of 4.

Wirh QBs you draft traits. He has arm talent, accuracy and athleticism. His feet and pocket awareness were great in 2018. He dominated in that offense with timing and accuracy. Comparing him to Kizer whom 2 teams have dumped now is lazy. Kizer isn't the same athlete. Wasn't accurate at ND. And doesn't have the natural throwing ability. Jordan has rare arm talent, quick ability to flick the ball. 

I like Herbert as well. I'd take both QBs over Carr for 2021 and beyond personally. 

And personally, I see Carr retiring when his contract ends.

He has an extremely long arm motion. That along with his poor ability to read the defense pre and post snap. Leads go a slow release. He will be sacked to death in the NFL if he doesn't shorten that up. He is athletic. Has a big arm. His footwork lacks any finesse and leads to accuracy issues. He does a good job keeping his eyes down field when he escapes the pocket. His fundamentals are POOR. 

I don't think love is an upgrade to Kizer. And I don't think Herbert is a surefire upgrade to Carr though possible. 

Fromms traits are more appealing to Love. I just don't know how much improving Fromm has in him. I like Fromm as a prospect.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I've said it before, but Jake Fromm will be a Raider if they get the chance:

He's a Gruden type QB. Insanely smart, coachable. Throws with rhythm and timing. Poised in the pocket. Tough as nails and a great leader. He will impress through the process with his intelligence for the game and leadership. 

Questionable arm talent. But as 3rd round backup, system fit I see the Raiders drafting him. He's the type you want in your QB room. 

Fromm is Andy Dalton / Alex Smith. Game manager with poor physical tools. Any team that drafts him is going to be in QB purgatory for ten years. I would rather keep Carr than draft him. 

Edited by Steins Gate
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

He has an extremely long arm motion. That along with his poor ability to read the defense pre and post snap. Leads go a slow release. He will be sacked to death in the NFL if he doesn't shorten that up. He is athletic. Has a big arm. His footwork lacks any finesse and leads to accuracy issues. He does a good job keeping his eyes down field when he escapes the pocket. His fundamentals are POOR. 

I don't think love is an upgrade to Kizer. And I don't think Herbert is a surefire upgrade to Carr though possible. 

Fromms traits are more appealing to Love. I just don't know how much improving Fromm has in him. I like Fromm as a prospect.

Anybody with guts is an upgrade to Carr your love for Carr is cult like.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Smoke screen. They want to trick the Chargers in to thinking we will draft one. 

Nah, Mayock doing his due diligence. If he can upgrade the position he will. Chargers are already in position to grab a QB.

Edited by Gannon12
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

Nah, Mayock doing his diligence. If he can upgrade the position he will. Chargers are already in position to grab a QB.

Yeah, Mayock has to look into all the prospects that he can, so he can be prepared. Just don't think he will draft a QB. 

15 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Yeah, Mayock has to look into all the prospects that he can, so he can be prepared. Just don't think he will draft a QB. 

I'm hoping he does. As much as I like Carr, I can't see him being resigned when his current contract is up. I have zero faith in Kizer or Peterman or Glennon. If there's someone hanging around in the 3rd or so that the Raiders like, take him. 

We either upgrade at backup QB (and if we're being honest, Gruden's never "needed" a 1st round blue chipper to have success) or find someone who fits the system well enough to hold the fort without totally imploding while looking into the 2021/2022 draft classes for the next "guy". 

I'm not super sold on anyone in this class being a franchise guy, but the next two classes look pretty deep in terms of the type of QB Gruden likes. But I do see some guys in this class who could easily be some diamonds in the rough to varying degrees.

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Tua, Derrick Brown, or Okudah would have to tumble or else there is 0% chance of the Raiders making that trade, and I think most here would agree with me on this one. 

Plus I don’t think the Cards would move down 4 spots, and out of the Top 10, for just a third rounder. 

I think there’s a better chance AZ would but LV wouldn’t so yeah.  Mayock seems the type to savor picks.

22 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

I think there’s a better chance AZ would but LV wouldn’t so yeah.  Mayock seems the type to savor picks.

If Brown or Okudah is there Mayock would jump all over that deal.  Both are the best at their position and we have a need for both.  I have already said that if Brown gets past 7 we are trading up.  We like trading 3rd round picks.  Just normally for Steeler WRs.