2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

4 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

We have 54 players under contract already so the draft class won't eat 10M off our cap space. Everytime we sign or draft a guy, it pushes a currently signed player off the top 51. The guys at the bottom have a cap hit around 500k so for the draft class, for example, that's 7 x 500k coming off the top 51. So if the class is at 10M, the real cap hit added is 6.5M. (The numbers aren't accurate but that's in that range). We should have a bit more than 45M in space at this point. Gabe and Whitehead can clear 16M more. With 61M available, we can be active. As far as re-signing our FAs, we've already done most of that by re-signing Incognito, Good, Lawson and Richard (and Hudson during the season). I guess we could still bring back a couple more but i don't see any urgency there.

I agree that i wouldn't spend 7M on a backup QB though.

Yes, the simple version, which I know you did to keep the post from Being overly wordy, of what you said if true.  

Our draft class will cost $9,707,365, assuming no trades.  

Ive been an amateur capologist for over 20 years,,, I am absolutely certain I calculated the cap correctly. After Richard’s new deal and factoring in the draft class we have $41,639,973 in cap space.

Currently the #51 player costs $0.585m, #50 is $0.585m, #49 is $0.585833m, #48/47 is $0.585833m, #46 is $0.590m

So during free agency...

player 1 signs for a cap number of $10.585m but only lowers the cap $10.0m

player 2 signs for a cap number of $8.585m but only lowers the cap $8.0m

player 3 signs for a cap number of $5.585833m,but only lowers the cap $5.0M

and so on.....

yes, the savings from cutting Jackson and Whitehead Could become helpful.  But it’s no guarantee they get cut.  

my point wasn’t that we can’t resign Worley, Joseph, Jordan, Morrow, etc as well as get 2 Big money, day 1 players and a couple mid level contract players....

my point was: I keep hearing people say “I hope we sign Littleton@16M and Jones@16M and Emmanuel Saunders@12m (plus resign our FAs)... and well we can’t.  We’re not going to make it rain on day 1 like a lot of people think.

we always and rightfully so leave 5+M in cap space For trades or signing a player after initial cuts or just to carry over.

we have money to get a few good players, but we’re not going to be able to go nuts.

I been reading into Kyle Dugger S from a Division 2 program. He seems like a great fit for this defense. He went to the senior bowl and held his own. Got good size for his position would be able to cover TE's he looks extremely athletic and fast. Def a player who would fit nicely next to the hard-hitting Abrams

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steins Gate said:

With Stafford being shopped and Detroit looking like they will take Tua, how do you guys think this will affect the draft?

How far does Okudah fall? Could Brown or Simmons fall to 12? Who does MIA draft? 

I could see him falling as far as 9 to the jags, can’t see them passing on a guy who can fill Ramsay’s role. 

QBs going early will certainly push down blue chip guys. If the Lions take a QB we could see a run at the position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steins Gate said:

With Stafford being shopped and Detroit looking like they will take Tua, how do you guys think this will affect the draft?

How far does Okudah fall? Could Brown or Simmons fall to 12? Who does MIA draft? 

Lions GM said the rumor is 100% false. Follow the money and you can see why. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Lions GM said the rumor is 100% false. Follow the money and you can see why. 

Yep, 32M dead cap. But they could still draft Tua, let him sit for a year and cut/trade Stafford next year. Anyway, i'd be shocked if Burrow, Tua and Herbert don't go before our pick. And with so many teams in the top 11 having glaring needs at OT, that's great for us.

Edited by oakdb36
  • Like 1

Just now, oakdb36 said:

Yep, 32M dead cap. But they could still draft Tua, let him sit for a year and cut/trade Stafford next year.

Hmm who knows how much of this is smoke and how intentional, but I'm gonna bet the Skins use this to their advantage and trade out of #2... I'm calling it: assuming prodays and the combine go as expected, Chase Young falls out of the Top 5!!!!?!!

1 minute ago, doctordeath said:

Hmm who knows how much of this is smoke and how intentional, but I'm gonna bet the Skins use this to their advantage and trade out of #2... I'm calling it: assuming prodays and the combine go as expected, Chase Young falls out of the Top 5!!!!?!!

I can't see it. Even if the first 3 picks were on QBs, Young is the next one off the board. NYG is at 4 and they're not passing on Young. But I don't think Herbert goes that high anyway.

14 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I can't see it. Even if the first 3 picks were on QBs, Young is the next one off the board. NYG is at 4 and they're not passing on Young. But I don't think Herbert goes that high anyway.

The Giants need for pass rush is just as great as oline, in my opinion. I don't know their cap  that well (obviously) but I do understand that this FA class offers more opportunities to get quality talent on the dline than it does on the oline. 

The above is partly why I believe he could fall out of the top 5.