2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Dolphins kill the entire morale of the team. They will be lucky to draft two prospects as good as Tunsil and Minkah. Both guys are both young too. Dolphins have sucked since Marino lol 

They will suck for 2 seasons not just this one.

21 hours ago, BayRaider said:

There’d be nothing those two can do so early in their contracts. Winning would solve everything the following year. 

Fitzpatrick and Ramsey also early in their contracts. Fitzpatrick gone, Ramsey likely soon. Players dont want to play for losers, it goes against everything they've been taught since they were young kids. If you're the type of player with the mentality that losing is ok then you are part of the problem and not someone I want on the team.

Winning does solve everything, but easier said then done.

33 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

Fitzpatrick and Ramsey also early in their contracts. Fitzpatrick gone, Ramsey likely soon. Players dont want to play for losers, it goes against everything they've been taught since they were young kids. If you're the type of player with the mentality that losing is ok then you are part of the problem and not someone I want on the team.

Winning does solve everything, but easier said then done.

They do if they get paid

Found a Gruden Interview where he said his ideal Quarterback is Roger Staubach. Interesting, considering he’s the original elusive sack master. Not the greatest arm (but still really good) but that dudes accuracy and ability to evade sacks were bar none 100%. 

7 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yup that’s why drafts are a true crap shoot trying to get guys who love the game cause the money is a given

Well most of these guys just spent the last 3+ years getting used by the NCAA, eating ramen noodles and driving 95 Camrys. I really can’t blame them wanting to get paid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Well most of these guys just spent the last 3+ years getting used by the NCAA, eating ramen noodles and driving 95 Camrys. I really can’t blame them wanting to get paid. 

That is the normal life for college students and you can say they are making money for the colleges but so do alumni and high school players make money for their schools.  To say they want to get paid is kind of a joke.  They are going to make in year one what their counterparts probably make in their first 10 years of work.  Plus if they can stay in the league for 3 years they get a pension.

NFL
The NFL could stand for "Not For Long," with the average career lasting only three years - just enough to qualify for the league's pension plan. The league's plan is based on years of service in the league. A player with the minimum three years of play would receive an annual pension check of $21,360 at retirement. On average, retired players receive an annual pension check of about $43,000.

Players who retired in the '80s and '90s receive anywhere from $3,000-5,640 per month for every season played in the NFL. Newly retired players (since 1998) receive $5,640 monthly for every year of service. Players with 10 years of service receive an additional retirement bonus in the form of an annuity.

Players are eligible to receive their full benefits at the age of 55. While the pension plan is much worse than other sports, the NFL does offer a generous 401(k) plan. The league matches every player's contribution up to 200%.

It is not top dollar like the best in the league but these guys get paid unbelievably well.  A player with 5 years of playing would get $338K a year.  I am have zero sympathy for someone with a setup like that.  The saddest part is that the averages made by NFL retirees is brought down so much because the pillars who developed this league get paid crap.

Also I do not know if you knew or know any college ball players but they live a different life than their peers in college.  Any decent level school gives these kids more than they could ever need.  I make a good living now but these guys, although they did not have the money on hand to purchase stuff, had a higher standard of living than I have now.  Everything is just given to them.  I knew guys that technically lived on campus but would "house sit" for boosters all the time.  The home completely furnished with everything they could want.

28 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Also I do not know if you knew or know any college ball players but they live a different life than their peers in college.  Any decent level school gives these kids more than they could ever need.  I make a good living now but these guys, although they did not have the money on hand to purchase stuff, had a higher standard of living than I have now.  Everything is just given to them.  I knew guys that technically lived on campus but would "house sit" for boosters all the time.  The home completely furnished with everything they could want.

thats not entirely true, or at least not for all players. I roomed with two players at Oregon, starters yet, not stars. Theyd be playing in a packed house at Autzen on National TV, then wed go home and have to chip in for a pizza. 

3 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Spot on

It’s not true actually. Every college has a “bag guy”. What they do is offer you cold hard cash over your four years. LSU has offered up to 650K in cash distributed over four years according to one players mom. I’m sure Alabama and Clemson do similar pays. 

Check out the documentary of what a bag boy is on Youtube. Everyone has always known about bag boys but Mississippi State Player Lex Lewis blew the lid off everything. He took 85K cash from Mississippi State I believe, distributed over four years. He is an idiot and posted 10K cash on Snapchat which led to an NCAA investigation. So now he’s ratting out every school that offered him cash which he claims Ole Miss offered him 20K and his moms rent paid for four years and LSU offered him 650K but he didn’t wanna leave his home state.