2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

My current top WR ranks:

Lamb

Shenault

Jeudy

Ruggs

Top 4, I'm locked in. And the only guys I want round 1. After this, it's a who's who of differing skill sets and I'd look more to round 3 or 2 if they trade into the round. 

To me, Lamb and Shenault have the biggest playmaking ability. For the Raiders (assuming Carr is back) they are players who can get the contested catch and are deadly YAC guys who would thrive in Gruden's system. I think people are sleep extra hard on Shenault and will be humbled by what he does at the next level. He's a big play waiting to happen with great hands and ability to catch away from his body.

Jeudy for me is a great player. Would love to have him, but he reminds me of Cooper whom Gruden gave up on. Great route runner and ability to create separation. Nothing wrong with his game, but played inside mostly, didn't see a lot of contested catches from him and is more finesse. High floor/low ceiling player like Cooper was.

Ruggs. A deadly speed option I would love see in S&B. But fail to see how Carr would maximize his abilities as a downfield threat. Again, as of 2/7/20 Derek Carr is still the QB of this team and Ruggs doesn't fit his play style.

Lamb and Shenault are the best fits with Carr because of their ability after the catch and to win contested catches. Fits the WCO and quick short and intermediate pass game Gruden likes and where Carr has the most success. 

Very well said. Pretty much same as I have it, but more of a tossup between Shenault and Lamb for me. 

• Like 1

I'm really not a big fan of Shenault atm. I have to do more digging but early impressions are a Cordarrelle Patterson/Kevin White type of WR who is a big physical freak and YAC monster but but unpolished in route running. Laviska also has major injury concerns doesn't he? Just seems like there are better options with Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs expected to go in the same range. 

• Like 2

Laviska Shenault Jr has major health concerns. 3 years of college football and has yet to play a full year. Doesn't do a great job tracking the ball in the air. A lot of his touches at Colorado were manufactured. He can have success in the NFL, but going to a team like the Raiders who need a true number 1 WR would set him up to fail. Cause what the Raiders would ask him to do would be his weakness. He needs to go to a team where they already have an established number 1 WR. Packers and Saints make sense for him. 

I would take Brandon Aiyuk over Shenault 100 times out of 100 times. Far more polished as a route runner. Tracks the ball in the air better and just a far more developed WR. And Aiyuk is just as dynamic if not more then Shenault. 

Laviska Shenault Jr is as close to a stay the hell away from the Raiders as possible for me. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm really not a big fan of Shenault atm. I have to do more digging but early impressions are a Cordarrelle Patterson/Kevin White type of WR who is a big physical freak and YAC monster but but unpolished in route running. Laviska also has major injury concerns doesn't he? Just seems like there are better options with Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs expected to go in the same range. 

Yep Sheanault is WR7 for me. Never been high on him at all. I’ve tried to like him and don’t see it. 

This WR class is loaded. I’m gonna call them the “Elite Five” but:

1. Jerry Jeudy, true #1, complete WR, will be the next great one. 

2. Henry Ruggs, 4.2 speed, well rounded guy like Tyreek Hill and DeSean Jackson. He will be much better than guys like John Ross and Brandon Cooks. Not that Cooks is bad. Ruggs can play on the outside and open up your whole offense. 

3. Brandon Aiyuk, 4.3 speed, well rounded, 6 foot, twitchy as can be, elusive, great awareness, ball locator, solid route runner. I would not be surprised what so ever if he ends up the best WR of this class. He’s damn good and flying under the radar among the public. 

4. Tee Higgins, jump ball master, well rounded, should have 4.50 to 4.52 type speed, physical, great height, can work all three levels of the field, should be a very solid outside WR. I see him as a very high end WR2 or Low End WR1. 

5. CeeDee Lamb, this doesn’t mean I hate Lamb, I just don’t get influenced by other rankings. Lamb is extremely physical and is just as well rounded as anyone in this class. Just because I have him as #5 doesn’t mean I think he is a bust. This is probably the best WR class ever, on paper. Lamb should be a solid outside starting WR. The cons of Lamb are he plays for the best offensive schemer possibly in CFB history and was usually wide wide open by design. And his speed is not even average, it’s below average. 4.56 to 4.58 at combine imo. I’ve watched about 65% of his tape so far thinking “this guy would of been tackled ages ago in the NFL”. I also see possible separation issues. DeAndre Hopkins? No. Much slower version of Diggs? Sure. Smoother and Cleaner Davante Adams? Sure. 

6. KJ Hamler, for some team, this guy is gonna absolutely destroy the slot. Probably second fastest WR in the draft and well rounded. I’ve never seen so many well rounded speed guys in my life. 

Player comps are usually just to give the public a general idea of they might be like. But every WR will always be unique. However, I really do think if Chad Johnson and Amari Cooper fused into one person, with Chad Johnson controlling the body, this is basically Jerry Jeudy. His route running is extremely comparable to Chad, as is his twitchyness. And his YAC ability and overall elusiveness is Amari to a T. 

The way Jeudy snaps/bursts off the top/end of his route I’ve only seen two guys do in the past 15 years: Antonio Brown and Chad Johnson. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Laviska Shenault Jr has major health concerns. 3 years of college football and has yet to play a full year. Doesn't do a great job tracking the ball in the air. A lot of his touches at Colorado were manufactured. He can have success in the NFL, but going to a team like the Raiders who need a true number 1 WR would set him up to fail. Cause what the Raiders would ask him to do would be his weakness. He needs to go to a team where they already have an established number 1 WR. Packers and Saints make sense for him. 

I would take Brandon Aiyuk over Shenault 100 times out of 100 times. Far more polished as a route runner. Tracks the ball in the air better and just a far more developed WR. And Aiyuk is just as dynamic if not more then Shenault. 

Laviska Shenault Jr is as close to a stay the hell away from the Raiders as possible for me. 

I've not dug into Aiyuk enough to form an opinion. He's on list to dig further into. 

"Manufacturing touches" is not really applicable here. He was CUs do it all playmaker and he made good things happen with the ball in his hands. But that didn't limit him as a pure WR on the outside. He's not Cordarrelle Patterson in that aspect. He has hands and rare athetlic ability. He's raw as a route runner, but he can win off sure athletic ability right away as he refines those skills.  By all accounts he will run a 4.4 at the combine. If that happens. he will be ascending in the draft. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

WR with dreadlocks? Because past that, they have nothing in common. Patterson was a body catcher with no hands and White (who I did like in that draft debate) was fast, but not much else. Injuriess derailed him.

Injuries are a concern for Shenault. So have to monitor that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Interesting take, I might be in the minority but I just think that Kinlaw might have the higher ceiling regarding pass rushing at the next level. Brown I like too but I feel there's something about him that says better run defender than pass rusher to me at the next level. I'm open to being swayed though! 😀

I think the difference is Kinlaw is a slightly better pass rusher and is a 3T.  Brown is almost as good rushing the passer, can play the nose or 3T, and is suppose to be elite against the run.  He has almost zero flaws in his game.  That is why some compare him to Suh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

My current top WR ranks:

Lamb

Shenault

Jeudy

Ruggs

Top 4, I'm locked in. And the only guys I want round 1. After this, it's a who's who of differing skill sets and I'd look more to round 3 or 2 if they trade into the round. 

To me, Lamb and Shenault have the biggest playmaking ability. For the Raiders (assuming Carr is back) they are players who can get the contested catch and are deadly YAC guys who would thrive in Gruden's system. I think people are sleep extra hard on Shenault and will be humbled by what he does at the next level. He's a big play waiting to happen with great hands and ability to catch away from his body.

Jeudy for me is a great player. Would love to have him, but he reminds me of Cooper whom Gruden gave up on. Great route runner and ability to create separation. Nothing wrong with his game, but played inside mostly, didn't see a lot of contested catches from him and is more finesse. High floor/low ceiling player like Cooper was.

Ruggs. A deadly speed option I would love see in S&B. But fail to see how Carr would maximize his abilities as a downfield threat. Again, as of 2/7/20 Derek Carr is still the QB of this team and Ruggs doesn't fit his play style.

Lamb and Shenault are the best fits with Carr because of their ability after the catch and to win contested catches. Fits the WCO and quick short and intermediate pass game Gruden likes and where Carr has the most success. 

I like Shensult alot, but I think you sleeping bigtime on Higgans too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don’t see Patterson or White at all. I see a better Deebo Samuel 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

Alright questions for yall.

Which QB prospect in this draft has the most guts and poise?

Top 3 LBs?

Curious in thoughts on Weaver out of CAL? 

Thanks Guys!

Burrow, Tua, Love, and Fromm all have tremendous pocket presence. Eason I’d say average and Herbert terrible/Carr like. Just masked by an all star OLine. 

With as much hate as Fromm gets, he may have the best poise in the pocket of any QB. 

Edited by BayRaider

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Burrow, Tua, Love, and Fromm all have tremendous pocket presence. Eason I’d say average and Herbert terrible/Carr like. Just masked by an all star OLine. 

With as much hate as Fromm gets, he may have the best poise in the pocket of any QB. 

Thanks, What's with all the hate for Fromm anyway? From all the draft coverage, he doesnt seem like a bad prospect. Maybe not ideal arm strength,  but seems he'd be a good fit in a WCO.

1 minute ago, OldManWillis said:

Thanks, What's with all the hate for Fromm anyway? From all the draft coverage, he doesnt seem like a bad prospect. Maybe not ideal arm strength,  but seems he'd be a good fit in a WCO.

His arm strength issue is overblown. I think Burrow, Fromm, and Dalton for example are all in the same arm strength category. A solid Grade B. Can Fromm launch it 50 yards? No. But he’s one of the most accurate 20-35 yard throwers of the class by far. Don’t get me wrong, I have Burrow absolutely ahead of Fromm, but I always wonder how well Fromm would do on that LSU team with Joe Brady. 

Fromm has great pocket presence, tremendous timing and anticipation, great sense of pressure, very accurate, high football IQ, and great going through reads. I think he is a system dependent QB. On most teams he probably wouldn’t be a Top 20 QB. On the Saints, Patriots, and Raiders he would be a Top 10 QB. 

Fromm is my QB4 behind Burrow, Tua, and Love. Although big gap between Love and Fromm. If Fromm is available in the 3rd, I take him ALL DAY. But I don’t think he makes it out of the 2nd. And wouldn’t be too shocked if the Pats or Saints nab him in the 1st Round. 

• Like 2