2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Just now, oakdb36 said:

Because that's life in the NFL. Average players coming to the end of their contract are replaced with rookies.

A 3rd round pick on a #5 WR who likely doesn't seen significant snaps? Meh. You add someone like Lamb/Jeudy early and the WR room is good as is, IMO. You'd have a young #1 stud, one of the best vertical threats in the league as the #2, promising young slot guy, and then two veterans who have produced in the past rounding out the room. 

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

And what if you could get Simmons and Johnson, Terrell or Diggs to pair with Mullen...That is the scenario I hope for. Far fetched, yes but so is getting Okudah.

We're talking about a scenario where we'd be giving up three picks to move up for a player. If you're going to give up that much draft capital for a single player you go with the guy that will have the bigger impact. Adding an elite #1 CB like Okudah can potentially be takes away one half of the field. 

I’m surprised Jordan Love scored a wonderlic of 27. His biggest issue is reading and understanding defenses, that score shows he is smart enough to learn them. 

Tuas 19 and Hurts 18 really is concerning though. I’d still select Tua if picking in the Top 5, but wonderlics should (and probably do) take a small part in QB Evaluation. Shows IQ, and more importantly, how fast their brain can solve problems (like a QB going through progressions).

Average Wonderlic for a Super Bowl Winning QB is 30.7. And thats without including Brady six times, Eli twice, etc. Only counts everyone once. 

And the percentages of QBs under 20 is really horrid. You have outliers like Marino at 16 and Jim Kelly at 14. But from a percentage standpoint, it’s really unlikely to succeed. Lamar had 13 but he is not a good pure passer at all, very curious how he’ll do without Greg Roman in the future who also make Kaepernick look like a Top 8-10 QB. 

I know QB doesn’t have much to do with us here, just ranting. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We're talking about a scenario where we'd be giving up three picks to move up for a player. If you're going to give up that much draft capital for a single player you go with the guy that will have the bigger impact. Adding an elite #1 CB like Okudah can potentially be takes away one half of the field. 

Just me but I don't see Okudah being that guy but some do and that is fine. He'll prove someone wrong.

But the scenario I'm advocating is giving up say 12 for 6,7, 8 or 9 to get Simmons. You would only need one other pick to get that done imo. Pitt moved from 20 to 10 (TEN SPOTS) last year with a mid 2nd and a future late 3rd.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

It's statements like these that make me wonder...I can't wait for the draft to be off so everyone can stop micro managing there own GM thoughts on value and waste in their head and we can get to the on field applications of the players. Simmons VALUE is almost immeasurable and I can't wait to point that out as he wreaks offensive game plans and shuts down go to players. Of course, he needs to be used right but that is true of any player. Yes, we need a corner and a WR but more than that we need dynamic players. I really believe he will change the shape of things a team can do on defense.

100% 👏👏

you shouldn’t ever pass up on the chance to get a dynamic playmaker, especially in the draft.  
Okudah’s gonna be a good CB but not a top 3 In the league type of guy.  
If you think 2 3rds or ideally a 3+5 is a steal price go into free agency and get a dynamic playmaker.... they cost around 20M.  
I think everyone talks about Simmons coverage skills and their great for a LB but his pass rushing skills are going be something.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’m surprised Jordan Love scored a wonderlic of 27. His biggest issue is reading and understanding defenses, that score shows he is smart enough to learn them. 

How a player answers a bunch of random math, logic, general knowledge, and reasoning questions on a 12 minute test the day before the biggest workout in their life has no correlation to their ability to read defenses. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

A 3rd round pick on a #5 WR who likely doesn't seen significant snaps? Meh. You add someone like Lamb/Jeudy early and the WR room is good as is, IMO. You'd have a young #1 stud, one of the best vertical threats in the league as the #2, promising young slot guy, and then two veterans who have produced in the past rounding out the room. 

Yeah, I'm not saying we have to get a WR in the 3rd. I think our options in the 3rd are wide open as long as WR and CB are adressed before that. Can one of those 3rd go to a WR high on our board? Sure. Jefferson happens to be a player i think we'll be high on. That's nothing but my opinion though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Just me but I don't see Okudah being that guy but some do and that is fine. He'll prove someone wrong.

But the scenario I'm advocating is giving up say 12 for 6,7, 8 or 9 to get Simmons. You would only need one other pick to get that done imo. Pitt moved from 20 to 10 (TEN SPOTS) last year with a mid 2nd and a future late 3rd.

With the lack of depth across the defense I just wouldn't give up that much draft capital for a WLB. Especially when we just invested $18M into the position group in free agency and we only have 3 LB's on the field 40% of the time. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How a player answers a bunch of random math, logic, general knowledge, and reasoning questions on a 12 minute test the day before the biggest workout in their life has no correlation to their ability to read defenses. 

Wonderlic tests how fast your brain can solve problems. 

There is quite a bit of evidence wonderlic should and is a evaluation tool for QBs (but only QBs). 

How fast your brain can get through things is a huge factor of a QB’s job. You basically have to have an i9 level processor. 

3 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Yeah, I'm not saying we have to get a WR in the 3rd. I think our options in the 3rd are wide open as long as WR and CB are adressed before that. Can one of those 3rd go to a WR high on our board? Sure. Jefferson happens to be a player i think we'll be high on. That's nothing but my opinion though.

And were is the depth when WIlliams foot starts acting up or Juedy or Ruggs pulls the obligatory training camp hammy that doesn't heal til week 4. The top 3 are so enticing but I'm more a fan of the trade down for 2 guys from this class. Give me a 2 combo of Laviska, Pittman, Aiyuk, Jefferson, Claypool, Johnson, Hill, Raegor, Gibson, Watkins, People-Jones, Edwards or Bowden Jr and I'll be happier than Jim Carrey after a heroic LSD hit.

And don't you dare mention Doss or Ateman.

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Tuas 19 and Hurts 18 really is concerning though. I’d still select Tua if picking in the Top 5, but wonderlics should (and probably do) take a small part in QB Evaluation. Shows IQ, and more importantly, how fast their brain can solve problems (like a QB going through progressions).

Average Wonderlic for a Super Bowl Winning QB is 30.7. And thats without including Brady six times, Eli twice, etc. Only counts everyone once. 

And the percentages of QBs under 20 is really horrid. You have outliers like Marino at 16 and Jim Kelly at 14. But from a percentage standpoint, it’s really unlikely to succeed. Lamar had 13 but he is not a good pure passer at all, very curious how he’ll do without Greg Roman in the future who also make Kaepernick look like a Top 8-10 QB. 

I know QB doesn’t have much to do with us here, just ranting. 

I could careless about only looking at SuperBowl winning QBs wonderlics.  The sample size is too small.  Average starting QB scores Or the scores of QBs who successful in the league (pick your metric) is way better of a indicator.  Further, the average isn’t the number I’d be looking for... I’d want to know the interquartile range, L1 specifically, to see what the theshold for success is.

all the wonderlic should be used for is to check to see if the player is so stupid it would inhibit his ability to play the position.  It’s a pass/fail test to me. 

and just because Love scored 27 doesn’t mean he can learn to read defenses it just means he’s got enough intelligence that he’s capable of it.  
the wonderlic is a test that with practice and training a person can really jump their score.  Idk how people score very low on it, they must not have put any training in for the test.

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

And were is the depth when WIlliams foot starts acting up or Juedy or Ruggs pulls the obligatory training camp hammy that doesn't heal til week 4. The top 3 are so enticing but I'm more a fan of the trade down for 2 guys from this class. Give me a 2 combo of Laviska, Pittman, Aiyuk, Jefferson, Claypool, Johnson, Hill, Raegor, Gibson, Watkins, People-Jones, Edwards or Bowden Jr and I'll be happier than Jim Carrey after a heroic LSD hit.

And don't you dare mention Doss or Ateman.

Injuries can happen at any position group. Should we draft another QB in case Carr/Mariota both get hurt? Or a first round OT in case Miller/Brown both get hurt? You've said the same about Simmons, that we should draft him in case Littleton and Abram get hurt.

14 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Then we trade back up for Terrell and Muse

Now you are trying to make the team unbeatable. If we kill everyone it won't be fun any more. So let's not get crazy. Also we may want to look at the guard position...I can give you a tip on a pretty good one. Bet you can't guess his name.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

12 - Isaiah Simmons | LB | Clemson

19 - AJ Terrell | CB | Clemson

80 - Tee Higgins | WR | Clemson

81 - K'Von Wallace | S | Clemson

91 - John Simpson | OG | Clemson 

121 - Tanner Muse | LB | Clemson

159 - Tremayne Anchrum | OT | Clemson

Now that's a darn draft class!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

With the lack of depth across the defense I just wouldn't give up that much draft capital for a WLB. Especially when we just invested $18M into the position group in free agency and we only have 3 LB's on the field 40% of the time. 

Expand you mind past what is to what is possible. Simmons isn't the normal WLB. And one pick isn't "that much draft capitol" for the return we'd get.

• Like 1