WRITE THE STORY OF A SEASON: WHAT HAS TO HAPPEN FOR LIONS TO SUCCEED OR FAIL IN 2019

Karnage84

36 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

We aren't going to have the top OL in the league, but let's say we're in the top 16. The OL isn't the reason that we're successful or fail in this scenario. Could our RB corp and/or WR corp sustain a fairly substantial injury with our current depth in your opinion?

We have a lot of unknown at wr but I actually like the depth...and if we're more of a two te look now I can't see one wr being hurt be our down fall

Now rb I'm a little more worried about we maaaybe have 2 that catch the ball..and that's a lot of Staffords game and imo none of them are great at pass pro

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

We aren't going to have the top OL in the league, but let's say we're in the top 16. The OL isn't the reason that we're successful or fail in this scenario. Could our RB corp and/or WR corp sustain a fairly substantial injury with our current depth in your opinion?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Sure, the more of our starters that stay healthy, the better. Is that what you're going for?

The Lions will survive a lot better if the OL is good and KJ or whoever else gets hurt, than they will if everyone's healthy and the OL remains in the bottom 5, I'll say that

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Sure, the more of our starters that stay healthy, the better. Is that what you're going for?

The Lions will survive a lot better if the OL is good and KJ or whoever else gets hurt, than they will if everyone's healthy and the OL remains in the bottom 5, I'll say that

It's just more about your comfort with the level of depth we have  our skill positions. Outside of KG and Marvin, do we have enough at WR to sustain the loss of either of these guys (and Marvin has the injury history)? Kerryon has struggled with injury already. In your opinion, could CJ, Ty Johnson, Zenner and co. be able to keep the team's rushing attack afloat?

Personally, I have concerns as I feel we have unproven depth.

Soo what y'all think about slay and snacks holding out..

Do you pay them? Or you play hardball?

I'm of wonder why... to me these are guys that maybe aren't "buying in" or im way off.. but 2 yrs before your deals up..

30plus nt.. what is the going rate...

3 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Soo what y'all think about slay and snacks holding out..

Do you pay them? Or you play hardball?

I'm of wonder why... to me these are guys that maybe aren't "buying in" or im way off.. but 2 yrs before your deals up..

30plus nt.. what is the going rate...

Some of the stuff that I've heard from different talking heads about this is 1) Snacks is probably the top run stuffing DT in the league; 2) DT's can play at a high level into early 30's and 3) could probably manage this with a slight bump and some more guaranteed money. Overall - this seems like a not too difficult situation to rectify that won't break the bank.

Slay is a bit of a different story. He's right at that sweet spot where he could drop off by the end of his current contract term (age 30+), let alone with a new extension. He's also paid fairly well as it is. It's tough. We haven't seen the Lions draft and develop guys that can compete close to Slay's level. I think it would largely depend on what he's looking for in terms of an extension.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Some of the stuff that I've heard from different talking heads about this is 1) Snacks is probably the top run stuffing DT in the league; 2) DT's can play at a high level into early 30's and 3) could probably manage this with a slight bump and some more guaranteed money. Overall - this seems like a not too difficult situation to rectify that won't break the bank.

Slay is a bit of a different story. He's right at that sweet spot where he could drop off by the end of his current contract term (age 30+), let alone with a new extension. He's also paid fairly well as it is. It's tough. We haven't seen the Lions draft and develop guys that can compete close to Slay's level. I think it would largely depend on what he's looking for in terms of an extension.

So you would cave lol

15 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

So you would cave lol

It would depend on a few factors.

1) Do we think we have the depth to compete without him on the roster or could we find a capable replacement?

2) Are we looking to truly compete or are we still in rebuild mode?

3) The impact the contract would have on the salary cap and how much more he is looking for

4) What could we get back in trade compensation? This would go along with factor #1

If it's just a matter of a little extra money and some guaranteed money, then it's definitely something to consider. I don't know if I want to damage the relationship with another franchise player. The Lions don't have a history of success and maintaining relationships with guys like Slay and Calvin should be important to the organization (assuming the demands are reasonable). If we have a bunch of playoff wins and a SB ring or two to our name, maybe you can be a bit more calculated and at arms length like the Pats.

14 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Just seems like the wrong year for slay to be holding out..

What kinda trade value do u think he's got?

2nd rounder and some change. He's nearing 30, wants a new deal, already has decent money on the books but is a playmaker and relatively healthy. A contending team looking to make a run and shoring up their secondary might be interested in that kind of a deal.

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

2nd rounder and some change. He's nearing 30, wants a new deal, already has decent money on the books but is a playmaker and relatively healthy. A contending team looking to make a run and shoring up their secondary might be interested in that kind of a deal.

I love slay but if that were the case think I'd do it...

Isn't it kinda the patriot way also...

9 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

I love slay but if that were the case think I'd do it...

Isn't it kinda the patriot way also...

If you're a team looing to make this type of deal, would you take Slay or Patrick Peterson if the compensation is similar?

Peterson - Age 28 - $11.88M Cap Hit

Slay - Age 28 - $15.9M Cap Hit

Peterson came out in 2011 draft while Slay was in the 2013 draft. A little less wear and tear on him, at least at an NFL level. PP also has the whole suspension thing going on too.

I'd have to think that you could get PP for a much lower price due to the suspension but let's run with it above.

56 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If you're a team looing to make this type of deal, would you take Slay or Patrick Peterson if the compensation is similar?

Peterson - Age 28 - $11.88M Cap Hit

Slay - Age 28 - $15.9M Cap Hit

Peterson came out in 2011 draft while Slay was in the 2013 draft. A little less wear and tear on him, at least at an NFL level. PP also has the whole suspension thing going on too.

I'd have to think that you could get PP for a much lower price due to the suspension but let's run with it above.

Ya your probably right but the cards aren't willing to trade.. or imo he would of been

And saying that you put slay out there now I think a contending team may give up a 1st.. probably wishful thinking but I've seen worse

Edited by Rockcity2

6 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Ya your probably right but the cards aren't willing to trade.. or imo he would of been

It also depends on what the compensation might be. Teams could be putting out low ball offers for now. PP has the suspension - so maybe teams knew about that before it became public and were waiting to see how it would play out.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It also depends on what the compensation might be. Teams could be putting out low ball offers for now. PP has the suspension - so maybe teams knew about that before it became public and were waiting to see how it would play out.

PP has been wanting to be traded for awhile now.. long before the suspension