Floyd Best Natural Pass Rusher On The Team

soulman

Bears OLB coach says Leonard Floyd has best ‘natural pass rush ability’ on the team

leonard-floyd-2.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Leonard Floyd has always had the potential to be a dominant pass rusher. After all, that ability is the reason the Bears traded up to draft him ninth overall in 2016.

But Floyd hasn’t exactly lived up to expectations in his three seasons with Chicago. There have been a lot of those “so close” moments that haven’t panned out.

That’s certainly going to change if new outside linebackers coach Ted Monachino has something to say about it.

Monachino, who comes to Chicago with previous experience as defensive coordinator in Indianapolis and former linebackers coach with Baltimore, is tasked with taking one of the league’s best players to the next level in Khalil Mack. But he’s also responsible for molding Floyd into the pass rusher the Bears pictured when they drafted him.

So far, Monachino likes what he sees. In fact, he’s a firm believer in what Floyd can ultimately accomplish as a pass rusher.

“I think Leonard [Floyd] as a pure, natural pass rusher has a bigger toolbox than anybody else I’m coaching right now,” Monachino told reporters.

No, you heard that right.

“I want everybody to understand what I just said,” Monachino clarified. “The better rusher right now is [Mack] but the natural pass-rush ability, the pass-rush gene? 94 has it.”

While saying Floyd has more natural ability than Mack isn’t something most would agree with, there’s no denying Floyd’s untapped potential.

But just because Floyd has the tools doesn’t necessarily guarantee success. And yet, it’s Monachino’s job to do just that.

That’s been the frustrating part. Floyd has all the tools to be a dominant player in this league, but he hasn’t managed to utilize them to the best of his ability.

Perfecting those tools and getting the most out of Floyd is going to be a huge part of Monachino’s job.

“I’ve coached big ones, I’ve coached smart ones, I’ve coached fast ones,” Monachino said. “I’ve never coached an athlete like this.”

With the Bears choosing to exercise Floyd’s fifth-year option, they’re showing that they believe that he can get to where they want him to be. And perhaps Monachino is the guy to help get him there.

I'm going to immediately call B.S. I can appreciate the coach-speak but old boy is full of it. 

Mack was drafted 5th overall and should have been drafted 1st, but he was put against a "generational" talent in Clowney who played in the SEC while he only played in the MAC. 

Even if looking at physical gifts it isn't close. Mack is bigger, WAY stronger, just as fast, has slightly longer arms, may be just a tiny bit slower but is just as agile (both while being heavier), and can convert speed to power better by a damn mile. 

Floyd's top potential as a passrusher still isnt remotely close to what Mack was a rookie IMO. Teams were doubling him in favor of Justin Tuck getting 1v1 situations. If Tuck was on the Bears today opposite of Floyd (instead of Mack) I still doubt they double Floyd. 

Floyd is a damn good off-ball LB, I believe if Trevathan went down that we might be beat served moving him to ILB and letting Lynch or RRH take over OLB. I personally think he'd be just as good there as an OLB. 

• Like 1