What Is Brad Childress' Role In Bears Offense

soulman

What role will Brad Childress play on Bears' offensive staff?

img_0237.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

By: Alyssa Barbieri | 10 hours ago

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/27/what-role-will-brad-childress-play-on-bears offensive-staff/

Earlier this month, it was announced that Brad Childress would return to the Chicago Bears in the role of senior offensive assistant. As for what that role would entail, not much was known. Now, new details have emerged about what Childress will be doing with Chicago.

Here’s what Albert Breer from MMQB revealed about Childress’ impact on the Bears offense this season:

The plan in Chicago, I’m told, is for the former Vikings coach to do a lot of work on opponent film breakdown, in addition to self-scouting the Bears offense. He’ll also be there, as he was last year, to generate new ideas, so he, Nagy and OC Mark Helfrich could well be jumping back on the whiteboard soon (if they’re not there already).

So while Childress will serve a similar role in creating new ideas for this offense, his role will be expanded to breaking down opposing defenses, as well as this Bears offense.

Childress played an integral role in helping Matt Nagy install his offense as he served as senior offensive consultant during last offseason and training camp.

Nagy and Childress, who has 20 years of NFL coaching experience, worked with each other in Kansas City. They served as co-offensive coordinators in 2016 before Childress was promoted to assistant head coach and Nagy to offensive coordinator in 2017.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

The Bears who were once very cheap when it came to paying for top coaching talent are no longer.  Pace and Nagy have assembled and kept together a staff they like.  Pace and GMcC are serious about getting this team to a SuperBowl ASAP.

Someone on the radio pointed out of the true west coast guys he was  the most committed to the run and had the most success with a more running based attack, young AP obviously helped that a lot.

I think he is here to be a voice in Nagy's ear when it comes to the run game.

• Like 1

Something I learned long ago is you can’t have too many good coaches on a staff as long as they are all pulling in same direction.  

A guy who doesn’t buy in is a cancer, but these guys are hand picked because they get along and trust each other.  

Fangio showed a lot of maturity last year working with Nagy.  He could have been a **** being senior to him in every way save job title.  Buddy Ryan would have been.  

When Fangio took Denver job he said he took a lot from what Nagy did and way he did things.  Never too old to learn.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Someone on the radio pointed out of the true west coast guys he was  the most committed to the run and had the most success with a more running based attack, young AP obviously helped that a lot.

I think he is here to be a voice in Nagy's ear when it comes to the run game.

I think it doesn’t take a genius or a coach to self scout last years offense and realize main problem was run game.  

They have obviously made it their main focus to fix for 2019. 

Just now, dll2000 said:

I think it doesn’t take a genius or a coach to self scout last years offense and realize main problem was run game.  

They have obviously made it their main focus to fix for 2019. 

I think Nagy wants a senior guy who he respects who will get in the head set and say "hey you bald idiot run the ball".

Childress has that type of cache a young coach does not.

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

I think Nagy wants a senior guy who he respects who will get in the head set and say "hey you bald idiot run the ball".

Childress has that type of cache a young coach does not.

It wasn’t just a matter of calling run plays. The run plays weren’t working for a variety of reasons.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It wasn’t just a matter of calling run plays. The run plays weren’t working for a variety of reasons.  

And when they don't you call less of them.

I'll come out and say blocking was part of it coupled with Howard's hesitancy at times.  He never seemed to run with the same "purpose" he did earlier in his career.  Maybe the mileage was beginning to take it's toll, who knows.

13 hours ago, soulman said:

And when they don't you call less of them.

I'll come out and say blocking was part of it coupled with Howard's hesitancy at times.  He never seemed to run with the same "purpose" he did earlier in his career.  Maybe the mileage was beginning to take it's toll, who knows.

I agree to a point.

But part of running the football is getting to a critical mass of runs where you have a chance to get going. Abandoning it because it is not working in the 2nd quarter does not mean it will not be working in the 4th quarter.

You need to consistently provide some opportunities for it to get going and Nagy left it to quickly in some games.

• Like 1