Todd Gurley's future

MightyMouse07

There was A LOT of discussion during the playoffs about Todd Gurley's knee. We saw CJ Anderson light it up when he came in for Gurley. We saw Gurley get a minuscule amount of touches between the NFCCG and the SB. Everyone was talking about the knee. The same knee that he tore his ACL in during his time at Georgia. What do the Rams do in the off-season? First they matched the tender for Malcolm Brown, his backup on a two year deal. Then fast forward to the draft, the one time when teams start telling you the truth about their needs and wants. The Rams moved up 20+ spots in the 3rd round to land arguably the most talented RB in the draft (Darrell Henderson). Over the off-season there have been videos of Gurley limping and rumors of him seeking out stem-cell treatment for his knee. 

One of the most interesting points that I've seen is a discussion on teenagers tearing their ACL and the percentage (70-80%) that lead to early onset arthritis by their mid 20s. Now that study is looking at teens and Gurley tore his when he was 20 so there is a slight difference but the rumors of arthritis in the knee already doesn't look good. Could this be the beginning of the end for such a talented young athlete?

CJ Anderson played well in three games for the Rams.

The first two were against literally the two worst teams in the NFL at the end of the year, and the other was against a Cowboys team who....let's be real, those holes were so huge that some of us could have gotten positive yards.

Anderson never would have gotten the chance had Malcolm Brown not gotten hurt.

Gurley being hurt (coupled with Brown being hurt) hamstrung the offense.

Long story short - the Rams retaining Malcolm Brown and drafting Henderson has nothing to do with Gurley's outlook - it's simply a team adding depth at a position that required depth.

If Gurley was 100%, the Rams still would have done what they did - because there's a chance that he gets hurt again (always high with RBs), and we needed a backup plan in case that were to happen again. So while people keep pointing to the Rams retaining Brown (for cheap) and drafting a RB (in the 3rd round) - those moves are not an indictment on Gurley.

What is concerning is how they speak to the media about it - and that does make me think there could be something more to it.

I think there is still a chance he can give you 1 or 2 more good to great seasons, but long-term he's probably done if his knee injury is already causing this much concern for the team.  I hope by some way he's able to overcome that because he was one of the best offensive players, but I doubt it.  

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

CJ Anderson played well in three games for the Rams.

The first two were against literally the two worst teams in the NFL at the end of the year, and the other was against a Cowboys team who....let's be real, those holes were so huge that some of us could have gotten positive yards.

Anderson never would have gotten the chance had Malcolm Brown not gotten hurt.

Gurley being hurt (coupled with Brown being hurt) hamstrung the offense.

Long story short - the Rams retaining Malcolm Brown and drafting Henderson has nothing to do with Gurley's outlook - it's simply a team adding depth at a position that required depth.

If Gurley was 100%, the Rams still would have done what they did - because there's a chance that he gets hurt again (always high with RBs), and we needed a backup plan in case that were to happen again. So while people keep pointing to the Rams retaining Brown (for cheap) and drafting a RB (in the 3rd round) - those moves are not an indictment on Gurley.

What is concerning is how they speak to the media about it - and that does make me think there could be something more to it.

Resigning Malcolm Brown can be seen as the depth argument but moving up and using a premium pick on a RB doesn't scream depth add to me. 

3 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Resigning Malcolm Brown can be seen as the depth argument but moving up and using a premium pick on a RB doesn't scream depth add to me. 

3rd round pick is now a premium pick? As far as moving up, the Rams had moved down two or three times prior to that, and Henderson was a target all along.

But Henderson is more than depth - he's going to (hopefully) be the Rams version of Tarik Cohen. Just another weapon to defend.

I wonder if that treatment Kobe got in Germany is legal in the NFL? Kobe's knee was pretty screwed up in 2011 and he got that treatment and squeezed out another couple of years of high level play before blowing out his achilles. It might be something Gurley should look into. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, game3525 said:

I wonder if that treatment Kobe got in Germany is legal in the NFL? Kobe's knee was pretty screwed up in 2011 and he got that treatment and squeezed out another couple of years of high level play before blowing out his achilles. It might be something Gurley should look into. 

Isn't that what Andrew luck did with his shoulder?

Gurley future is still good. The Rams are great at managing their players. Last season was a season where Brown got hurt and the Rams didnt have a plan B because Kelly obviously wasnt ready. Do you all know Gurley actually hurt his knee Week 1? So for him to still have the type of season he was having until late in the season is remarkable. Again it was because the Rams was managing him having Brown healthy until Brown got hurt and then all the load went on Gurley for a stretch then the Rams signed CJ late in the season. Now the Rams have Brown back healthy and they drafted what most think is the 2nd best back in the draft in Henderson I think the Rams will continue to manage Gurley and we will still see the best of Gurley. Now how long? I dont know. It could be for a few seasons or longer. The guy is 24 and soon to turn 25 in August. Like we arent talking about an older back. He came into the league off of an ACL injury and still rushed for 1000yds behind a bad oline in 2015 winning OROY and doing something no other back has ever done and thats rush for at least 125yds in each of his first 4 starts. Again that was him doing that coming off an ACL injury playing behind a bad oline. So Im like Peter King, Im not worried about Gurley.

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Gurley future is still good. The Rams are great at managing their players. Last season was a season where Brown got hurt and the Rams didnt have a plan B because Kelly obviously wasnt ready. Do you all know Gurley actually hurt his knee Week 1? So for him to still have the type of season he was having until late in the season is remarkable. Again it was because the Rams was managing him having Brown healthy until Brown got hurt and then all the load went on Gurley for a stretch then the Rams signed CJ late in the season. Now the Rams have Brown back healthy and they drafted what most think is the 2nd best back in the draft in Henderson I think the Rams will continue to manage Gurley and we will still see the best of Gurley. Now how long? I dont know. It could be for a few seasons or longer. The guy is 24 and soon to turn 25 in August. Like we arent talking about an older back. He came into the league off of an ACL injury and still rushed for 1000yds behind a bad oline in 2015 winning OROY and doing something no other back has ever done and thats rush for at least 125yds in each of his first 4 starts. Again that was him doing that coming off an ACL injury playing behind a bad oline. So Im like Peter King, Im not worried about Gurley.

Is his knee stable or degenerating is the factor that you are missing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I'm more interested in seeing what kind of QB Goff is without Gurley in the lineup for a full season.

Goff will be fine. He played well when CJ came in and was playing without Gurley. Not to mention he didnt even have Kupp at that time. You give him Kupp, Woods, Cooks, and now an explosive back in Henderson who fits the Rams system great. I didnt even mention Everett whom as his development continues and his role grows in the offense how dangerous he can be. Goff will be fine. As great as Gurley is, the system for the Rams is key. When McVay first got the job many people didnt even know how he was going to even use Gurley. All people was saying was how he was going to do with Goff what he did for Cousins and thats turn his career around. I truly believe if Gurley wasnt the back and the Rams just had Brown and Henderson that offense would still be fine. Now it wouldnt be great like it is with Gurley but the offense would still be really good because the Rams have a very good run blocking oline that opens up holes and Brown and Henderson would still produce and the recievers/tight ends would still be productive as well. Losing Kupp obviously was a bigger loss for Goff than Gurley being hurt.