Todd Gurley's future

MightyMouse07

He will be on a pitch count. You will see a Kamara/Ingram style approach with Gurley and Henderson. He will be effective in his 12-15 touches a game and it will make him fresh for the playoffs. He is not toast or done or no longer an impact back despite some posts on this thread.

What is does mean though is that the Rams paid him too much at the wrong time. It means he will not be as valuable as a fantasy RB. But he will still have a large impact on game day. Don't get it twisted. You won't see 200yard 30touch performance again, but a consisten 80yards, 1 TD, and 50receiving yards per game is very very feasible. **Also, Darrel Henderson is going to be a problem.

1 minute ago, Bearerofnews said:

I haven't been keeping up with Gurley's status. But with today's medical advancements technology wise and medicine wise, is he really in a position of inconsolable health?

It depends on what you mean by "inconsolable health".

Arthritis is inflammation caused by a lack of cartilage between 2 bones. There is no medical procedure that can reliably regrow cartilage anywhere near as functional as the cartilage you have initially and cartilage does not heal. There are treatments that try like stem cell treatments or microfracture surgery, but it's not even close to as effective. Gurley's knee swelling and pain is an indication that he's lost a ton of that cartilage or is putting a ton of stress on his knee.

Without an MRI and the experience of viewing tons of them, no one here can conclusively state a timeline for how long he will be an effective NFL RB. But long term, that's a really tough diagnosis for someone who is 24. He's headed towards a knee replacement.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It depends on what you mean by "inconsolable health".

Arthritis is inflammation caused by a lack of cartilage between 2 bones. There is no medical procedure that can reliably regrow cartilage anywhere near as functional as the cartilage you have initially and cartilage does not heal. There are treatments that try like stem cell treatments or microfracture surgery, but it's not even close to as effective. Gurley's knee swelling and pain is an indication that he's lost a ton of that cartilage or is putting a ton of stress on his knee.

Without an MRI and the experience of viewing tons of them, no one here can conclusively state a timeline for how long he will be an effective NFL RB. But long term, that's a really tough diagnosis for someone who is 24. He's headed towards a knee replacement.

Damn i didn't realize it was that severe. That's brutal. Especially for an elite RB that young. Luckily for the Rams, RB is the easiest position to fill in the league and McVay is as smart as they come and will have that sorted out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how he suddenly developed arthritis. What was the knee tweak in the Arizona game? I assumed his problems stemmed from that more than anything.

From CJ anderson:

"“Obviously, it’s the same knee injury he’s had before in his career,” Anderson said. “Obviously, I had surgery on my meniscus and once you have a knee [injury], you always have a knee [injury]. So it aggravates, and he was getting a lot of touches earlier in the year — obviously, him being one of the best backs, that probably was the case."

Edited by MrOaktown_56

Athletes know they trade money for quality of life in later years.

Gurley is a  'workers unite against the owners' type of player. (see his HBO interview)

Gurley has guaranteed money for the next 2 seasons and there is little chance now that the Rams pay him and his knee in 2021.

Its not just a matter of how much he can go, its also how much does he want to go, and how much does he think his owner deserves from him.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 11:41 PM, sammymvpknight said:

Playing at a lighter weight is smart. 1 lb at the waste equates to 6 in the knee. If he indeed has knee OA, weight loss is a great strategy assume he can keep his knee stabilizers just as strong. 

I’ve always heard it was 1lb is 4lbs of pressure on the knee