Todd Gurley's future

MightyMouse07

16 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't know how he suddenly developed arthritis. What was the knee tweak in the Arizona game? I assumed his problems stemmed from that more than anything.

It's the same knee he had the ACL tear in. That may have something to do with it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5359756/

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, Gurley should cash his check this year and walk away before he's limping the rest of his life. His 30's are already going to really suck, let alone after that.

Depends what he wants. The "smartest" thing to do from a dollars/exposure standpoint would be to just be a reasonable person about his pain level instead of being an NFL player taking tons of painkillers to get through it, say you're in too much pain to go, and just stay in rehab for the guaranteed money portion on his contract. No sense in him retiring early unless the Rams want to pay out the money he's due.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Depends what he wants. The "smartest" thing to do from a dollars/exposure standpoint would be to just be a reasonable person about his pain level instead of being an NFL player taking tons of painkillers to get through it, say you're in too much pain to go, and just stay in rehab for the guaranteed money portion on his contract. No sense in him retiring early unless the Rams want to pay out the money he's due.

I guess that's what I meant by "walk away". I wouldn't be playing anymore, and I'd ride out the guaranteed portion, cash checks, and when I'm eventually cut, retire. I know that it's a hard decision, but after going through 3 major joint surgeries and showing signs of early knee issues due to bone on bone/lack of cartilage in my knee, I made the decision to pull myself from the lineup (college) and ride out the rest of my senior year on the bench. My teammates backed me 100%, which was nice. I don't mean to over-empathize, but if a D2 athlete like me can make that decision to end my career, I'd hope a multi millionaire could do the same. He's hopefully got a long and healthy life ahead of him.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I guess that's what I meant by "walk away". I wouldn't be playing anymore, and I'd ride out the guaranteed portion, cash checks, and when I'm eventually cut, retire. I know that it's a hard decision, but after going through 3 major joint surgeries and showing signs of early knee issues due to bone on bone/lack of cartilage in my knee, I made the decision to pull myself from the lineup (college) and ride out the rest of my senior year on the bench. My teammates backed me 100%, which was nice. I don't mean to over-empathize, but if a D2 athlete like me can make that decision to end my career, I'd hope a multi millionaire could do the same. He's hopefully got a long and healthy life ahead of him.

I'd be shocked if that's the route he wants to go.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm sure he'll do what most do and stay about 2 years too long and pay the price in real life after his career is over.

Which is a bummer. If he rides his guaranteed money out, he's looking at somewhere around $25MM after taxes and agent fees. That's not $10MM McMansion or private jet money, but that is everyone in your somewhat extended family can go to good private schools and not have student loans money.

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Which is a bummer. If he rides his guaranteed money out, he's looking at somewhere around $25MM after taxes and agent fees. That's not $10MM McMansion or private jet money, but that is everyone in your somewhat extended family can go to good private schools and not have student loans money.

Or, for a guy like me, have my "common sense dream house" money, while "golfing every day" money, while having "a nice new truck" money, while "let's just drop everything and go on a random vacation" money.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Or, for a guy like me, have my "common sense dream house" money, while "golfing every day" money, while having "a nice new truck" money, while "let's just drop everything and go on a random vacation" money.

That's included in "you can pay your cousin's student loans" money.

He wouldn't quite have, "start a massive foundation" money, nor would he have "tropical island" money. But basically everything else.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's included in "you can pay your cousin's student loans" money.

He wouldn't quite have, "start a massive foundation" money, nor would he have "tropical island" money. But basically everything else.

Exactly. Basically hit the "reset button" financially for all of my friends and family, plus have all of the above. I could go the Forrest Gump route and cut grass at the school for free and do a lot of volunteer work to keep myself busy.

8 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Can't predict injuries. At the time of the contract, he was absolutely worth it. 

Maybe you couldn't predict the timing of the arthritis, but you could definitely predict that Gurley would develop arthritis at some point.

"A 2017 study found that about 75 percent of people who underwent ACL reconstructive surgery had arthritis findings on x-rays of their knee within 10-15 years of the time of surgery. This is a frightening finding, considering many ACL tears are treated in the teens and twenties of young athletes."

https://www.verywellhealth.com/knee-arthritis-likely-to-develop-after-acl-tear-4154784

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Maybe you couldn't predict the timing of the arthritis, but you could definitely predict that Gurley would develop arthritis at some point.

"A 2017 study found that about 75 percent of people who underwent ACL reconstructive surgery had arthritis findings on x-rays of their knee within 10-15 years of the time of surgery. This is a frightening finding, considering many ACL tears are treated in the teens and twenties of young athletes."

https://www.verywellhealth.com/knee-arthritis-likely-to-develop-after-acl-tear-4154784

Also, he's a RUNNING BACK. The position in the NFL with the shortest shelf life and one of the lowest salary cap hits if you use the Franchise Tag. JMHO

Just now, MWil23 said:

Also, he's a RUNNING BACK. The position in the NFL with the shortest shelf life and one of the lowest salary cap hits if you use the Franchise Tag. JMHO

Yeah, it was idiotic not to let him play out his last two years at the very least, not to mention the additional two years of team control with Franchise Tags.  They'd be sitting pretty right now.