Burton out indefinitely (hernia surgery)

beardown3231

27 minutes ago, soulman said:

What conspiracy theories?  His injury and his anxiety attacks have both been well covered by now.

The theories that he wasn't hurt and instead it was anxiety. Nagy directly linked that injury and this surgery. You don't get anxiety surgery, and you don't have a hernia surgery for an thought up, anxiety related "injury."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The theories that he wasn't hurt and instead it was anxiety. Nagy directly linked that injury and this surgery. You don't get anxiety surgery, and you don't have a hernia surgery for an thought up, anxiety related "injury."

I've had a close personal relationship with both of them.  Anxiety often causes physical distress but not the kind that requires surgery.

And this may be a reason for why we will keep 5 TEs (including Sowell).  Two TE positions are essentially bigger WRs operating out of the slot, flanked wide, or in motion prior to the snap.  A primary and a backup are needed for each.  We can't assume we'll have all 5 healthy at one time.

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Is there a recovery time? 

I googled it and it says most cases are 4-6 weeks. Considering the surgery happened a few months ago, he should be fine by September 5.

15 hours ago, soulman said:

I've had a close personal relationship with both of them.  Anxiety often causes physical distress but not the kind that requires surgery.

That's what I'm saying. I'm not doubting the anxiety, but I am doubting that anxiety came him out of the Eagles game and this should solidify it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I googled it and it says most cases are 4-6 weeks. Considering the surgery happened a few months ago, he should be fine by September 5.

That's what I'm saying. I'm not doubting the anxiety, but I am doubting that anxiety came him out of the Eagles game and this should solidify it

Everyone who has had it says much longer recovery than 6 weeks for athletic activity and says its a lingering thing.  

Also FWIW one of reasons Hall reportedly fell out of draft was doctors found a Sports Hernia at combine.

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Everyone who has had it says much longer recovery than 6 weeks for athletic activity and says its a lingering thing.  

Also FWIW one of reasons Hall reportedly fell out of draft was doctors found a Sports Hernia at combine.

Does it seem to be a reoccurring ordeal like back injuries seem to be or once it heals it usually is just in the past? 

Would it have been so hard to say he has a diagnosed sports hernia and we hope rest solves it? If not that we will repair surgically. 

Instead they were all vague and quiet and allowed all kinds of conspiracy theories to fill void.  

No reason not to after season was over. Kind of a **** move to Burton. 

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Would it have been so hard to say he has a diagnosed sports hernia and we hope rest solves it? If not that we will repair surgically. 

Instead they were all vague and quiet and allowed all kinds of conspiracy theories to fill void.  

No reason not to after season was over. Kind of a **** move to Burton. 

All of what this front office and coaching staff could not care less about...these guys have such self confidence and belief that they don't care what anyone outside that building knows...or thinks they know.

Chicago Bears: Trey Burton injury shines light on lack of depth at TE

The Chicago Bears cannot afford for Trey Burton to be injured in 2019

A newsworthy note that came out of OTAs when Matt Nagy admitted that Trey Burton would be sitting out the sessions as he rehabbed offseason surgery. Burton missed the Chicago Bears playoff game for reasons that were unknown until now.

Missing OTAs is not a huge deal, and Burton expects to be back by training camp. However, taking Burton out of the equation and taking an overarching view of the team does paint a picture of how valuable Burton is.

To start, Nagy stressed the need for Burton. He sees Burton as more than a tight end but as a move player who can put force the defense to expose themselves. The Bears designed short yardage and ran more effectively overall by utilizing his versatility.

When Burton was on the field last season, they had a 50.3% run success rate, and 53.9% pass success rate. Without him, they had a 42% run success rate, and 46% pass success rate. The drop off was drastic.

That was mainly because on top of Burton opening up the offense as a whole due to his role, the team also lacks quality depth behind him.

Adam Shaheen was only active for six games last season, and Dion Sims played in just eight. Creativity at the position turned into lack of respect quickly without Burton.

When looking ahead to 2019. Shaheen is just as unproven as last season. Entering year three, it would be assumed we. are in now or never time for seeing him step forward. Nonetheless, a step forward next season would be a complimentary player who excels in the red zone. If he were to be thrust into the lead tight end role, he may be over his head.

Behind him is currently Bradley Sowell, who moved to tight end to take on more blocking duties. Likely to spare Burton in this area to ensure he does not get hurt.

Ben Braunecker is on the roster, but “Bronk” never was and expecting a step forward from Braunecker seems optimistic.

Lastly is Dax Raymond who was a strong find at tight end as a UDFA. Raymond profiles similarly to Burton in that he is not a stud blocker, but he can move around the formation and work with. the ball in his hands. Still, this is a UDFA for a reason. Burton was a UDFA as well but it took him two full seasons to get on an NFL field.

The Bears added an insane amount of playmakers, and we are wondering how Matt Nagy will get. them on the field. They likely are insurance for Burton, because the team will have to change their plans rather than look next man up if Burton is to get injured during the season.

Still, one thing is clear when looking at the roster after this news. Losing Burton during the regular season would be more devastating than some believe.