• Aaron Rodgers
    • Joe Namath
    • John Elway
    • Dan Marino
    • Jim Kelly
    • Boomer Esiason
    • Brett Favre
    • Roger Staubach

Gotta be Rodgers. Literally 80% of the people whether commentators, analyst or fans call him the greatest QB ever. That's absurd. If you said anyone but Rodgers you have deep rooted childhood issues. Rodgers is great. But greatest ever... in the words of bassman "pshh unreal"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Gotta be Rodgers. Literally 80% of the people whether commentators, analyst or fans call him the greatest QB ever. That's absurd. If you said anyone but Rodgers you have deep rooted childhood issues. Rodgers is great. But greatest ever... in the words of bassman "pshh unreal"

Rodgers is a great QB, but I do not know if he is even the best Packers QB ever..Brett Favre and Bart Starr have an argument.

Just now, Steelersfan43 said:

Rodgers is a great QB, but I do not know if he is even the best Packers QB ever..Brett Favre and Bart Starr have an argument.

I agree. Id call Rodgers most exciting QB ever.. unless Mahomes keeps doing what he did in 2018.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Joe Namath is no longer overrated at this point. He's undergone a very typical phenomenon where an icon gets trashed and called overrated so frequently that they actually become underrated.

Namath has become so underrated that I've read some Jets' fans actually say that Ken O'Brien was better - which is comical.

So, most overrated award goes to Elway for my money. Far too often Elway is called a top 5 all time QB. I've seen him rated as high as #3.

That's just too much. Elway is acceptable as a lower top 10 guy, but certainly not top 5.

Edited by Tightspiral7

22 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Gee, why am I not shocked that Elway is on this thread.

To be fair, Elway also gets underrated. I read one comment on this thread where a guy said Elway wouldn't even be a top 10 QB today. That comment was so stupid, I had to re-read it several times to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. There seems to be a lot of recency bias on this forum where kids think there were no good quarterbacks before 2010.

Elway might become like Namath one day, where he gets called overrated so much that he becomes underrated.

John Elway was a great, great quarterback. Just not top 3, which is how he's often rated.

Edited by Tightspiral7

John Elway might be the most overrated QB of all-time as well as the most underrated of all-time. I have seen people call Elway the GOAT because he was a physical monster and he "carried" teams to Super Bowl, but I also heard some people say he isn't a Hall of Famer because his stats "suck". Overall it is certainly something between the two extremes. I will say he was a physical monster that had to be the bulk of the offense, but he had good defensive support at times inside a not so great conference. His bad stats could mostly be explain by teammates that weren't exactly the Greatest Show on Turf, and the offensive system wasn't one that was friendly to stats either. I think in a perfect situation he could have easily been with the very very best of them, and the accomplishments he does have are still pretty impressive. 

On 7/29/2019 at 5:24 PM, Steelersfan43 said:

As a Packer fan, I'd say Rodgers is the most talented QB GB has ever had. I'd probably say he's a little bit better than Favre. 

Starr is so difficult to compare - it was pretty rare that Favre or Rodgers weren't CLEARLY the best player in that huddle (early Favre was behind Sterling Sharpe; Rodgers over the years has maybe had days were Bakhtiari or Davante Adams were the better guy)....Starr was sort of a proto-Montana, the ultimate leader, but definitely had a better supporting cast than the other two have generally had. 

14 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

John Elway might be the most overrated QB of all-time as well as the most underrated of all-time. I have seen people call Elway the GOAT because he was a physical monster and he "carried" teams to Super Bowl, but I also heard some people say he isn't a Hall of Famer because his stats "suck". Overall it is certainly something between the two extremes. I will say he was a physical monster that had to be the bulk of the offense, but he had good defensive support at times inside a not so great conference. His bad stats could mostly be explain by teammates that weren't exactly the Greatest Show on Turf, and the offensive system wasn't one that was friendly to stats either. I think in a perfect situation he could have easily been with the very very best of them, and the accomplishments he does have are still pretty impressive. 

The thing about Elway in the 80s is those Broncos teams had some really good players on D, but the offensive talent around Elway was mediocre at best. 

Elway earned his spot as a top 5 all time in the pre-Brady/Peyton era because he did carry those Denver offenses.

Starr is the single most underrated QB of all time. Before Brady and Montana there was Bart Starr. His stats for the time were absolutely ridiculous and he even more ruthless in big games. There's a reason the dark ages between Starr and Favre lasted practically THIRTY YEARS.

Edited by biggie.

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

Elway earned his spot as a top 5 all time in the pre-Brady/Peyton era because he did carry those Denver offenses.

Starr is the single most underrated QB of all time. Before Brady and Montana there was Bart Starr. His stats for the time were absolutely ridiculous and he even more ruthless in big games. There's a reason the dark ages between Starr and Favre lasted practically THIRTY YEARS.

I would say Ken Anderson is the most underrated QB of all time. Him and Bob Griese, especially Griese. 

Bob Griese was an amazing QB who gets sold way short. He was surgical. It's such a shame that he lives in Marino's shadow in Dolphin history.

Edited by Tightspiral7

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

Yep. I think Starr is the most underrated ever.

Staubach is right there too. .746 winning %, 2 Super Bowl wins, 4 appearances, and his adjusted stats are ridiculous.

Edited by LieutenantGains