• Joe Namath
    • John Elway
    • Dan Marino
    • Jim Kelly
    • Boomer Esiason
    • Brett Favre
    • Roger Staubach

10 hours ago, biggie. said:

Starr is the single most underrated QB of all time. Before Brady and Montana there was Bart Starr. His stats for the time were absolutely ridiculous and he even more ruthless in big games. There's a reason the dark ages between Starr and Favre lasted practically THIRTY YEARS.

Imma need a definition for "ridiculous" because statistically he was very efficient (finished among the top 3 in passer rating for the pre-1978 era - him, Staubach, and Len Dawson, that's some good company) but one could argue he also had a lot of wiggle room with a dominant defense and running game. 

9 hours ago, Tightspiral7 said:

I would say Ken Anderson is the most underrated QB of all time. Him and Bob Griese, especially Griese. 

Bob Griese was an amazing QB who gets sold way short. He was surgical. It's such a shame that he lives in Marino's shadow in Dolphin history.

Griese is more noted for being a "winner" and is sort of a proto-Aikman in that generally any greatness is somewhat handicapped by the fact that the teams they were on (early 70s Dolphins and 90s Cowboys) would've been extremely successful with any number of players under center, and one could argue might've been more successful with one of their peers playing QB. 

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Griese is more noted for being a "winner" and is sort of a proto-Aikman in that generally any greatness is somewhat handicapped by the fact that the teams they were on (early 70s Dolphins and 90s Cowboys) would've been extremely successful with any number of players under center, and one could argue might've been more successful with one of their peers playing QB. 

Griese was more capable of carrying a team when he had to than Aikman was, which is all the more reason why he's underrated. I wouldn't consider Aikman as good as Griese.

You couldn't replace Griese with any number of QBs, that's a very false narrative.

Griese could read the D as well as any QB in history, and was as accurate a thrower of the ball as any QB in history. When he was asked to step up and throw more, he could really decimate a defense.

When he was playing. Donovan McNabb. But it’s been pointed out that in a historical context he’s really not looked at that highly anymore.

So in a historical context I’m gonna say Kurt Warner. Had 3 insanely good years in arguably the most talented offenses ever. Then plays so bad he got benched for Marc Bulger. And rightfully so. Bulger was playing much better than he was. Then he’s a backup for about 5 years before he has two really good years with Fitzgerald and Boldin before he retires. 

This is an old thread, but the answer is obviously Rodgers. He's been catapulted to top 3 all time with marginal playoff performances outside of his all-time great 2010. He's someone pass Brees and Favre consensus wise despite having marginally better regular season performances and equal/worse playoff performances. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 10:05 AM, TVScout said:

He was a statistical phenom but his insubordination was so pervasive an prolonged that it prevented the team from getting more than the one Super Bowl appearance.

If this is true about Marino, then Payton Manning needs to be on the list.  What is the criteria for being rated good vs over rated?  Manning was a stat whore for most of his career who could not carry his teams to championships. If you are going to rate championships then that is a team effort as has been proven in multiple SBs.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:55 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Damn 18 votes for Rodgers?!? I'm a Bears fan and I'm appalled by this. This only further shows that voting on this site is a big joke lol.

lotta jealous haters on here. There's absolutely zero rational argument for listing Aaron Rodgers among the most overrated QBs

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

lotta jealous haters on here. There's absolutely zero rational argument for listing Aaron Rodgers among the most overrated QBs

For me it’s not so much about thinking his peak is overrated. If anything it’s more about how he is viewed and rated year in and year out, and I think that’s probably why some people voted for him here. That said, there are others on this list that definitely should be chosen before Rodgers. 

8 hours ago, Danger said:

Namath wasn't a backup.

He was when he was drafted

but really all I was referring to is that both are lauded for a crazy storyline driven SB wins but the rest of their careers were subpar. Foles moreso than Namath but really I was focused on the SB wins giving them notoriety. 

1 minute ago, NoFlyZone said:

For me it’s not so much about thinking his peak is overrated. If anything it’s more about how he is viewed and rated year in and year out, and I think that’s probably why some people voted for him here. That said, there are others on this list that definitely should be chosen before Rodgers. 

Considering there's no rational argument to exclude Rodgers from the top 5 all time QBs, pretty much every other QB belongs on this list instead of him.