OTAs

Thaiphoon

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

I could be doing extra elsewhere but seems no one will give me credits for that so I'll jist prove myself in Training Camp anf preseason. 

The fact that you have said repeatedly that you would do the extra (voluntary workouts) elsewhere but not here says everything about your willingness to be a team player on this team.

So if the guy getting your reps blows up (because...again...you've voluntarily given your reps to him) and it's between you and him when it comes time to get rid of players at the end of camp, guess who won't be on the roster?

4 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

No I'm focused on someone who didn't participate in Voluntary Activities, He did what was Mandatory of him! 

And again...you still have not understood the Wally Pipp reference.

Try googling him (and the guy who replaced him) before you continue with the conversation so you see where @Woz and I are coming from.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Actually, @MikeT14 listed names: 

Specifically (the others are more likely ILBs):

• Andrew Ankrah
  • BJ Blunt
  • Jordan Brailford
  • Marquis Flowers
  • Cassanova McKinzy
  • Marcus Smith

Marcus Smith would be the one I would be watching out for if I were Ryan Anderson. Interesting aside about him: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/marcus-smith-got-kind-raw-deal-eagles

That sounds like a familiar story ...

Keep in mind Smith was a former first round draft pick. At the same time, in limited playing time, he managed 6.5 sacks in three years (two with Philadelphia, one with Seattle). That would be 4.5 more than Anderson has in his career.

The other two I would be worried about (but to a lesser extent) would be Cassanova McKinzy (was on the practice squad and briefly on the active roster) and Jordan Brailford (Washington under Allen likes to have his draft picks make the roster(*)).

(*) Only draft picks not to make the Opening Day roster since 2015:

• 6.06 (182) Tevin Mitchel (they tried to get him through waivers to IR, but the Colts claimed him)
    • 6.11 (187) Even Spencer (they did get him through waivers to IR, but then cut him with an injury settlement)
    • 7.05 (222) Austin Reiter (signed to practice squad a month in)
    • 7.11 (232) Steven Daniels (tore his labrum in training camp and was put on IR)
    • 7.21 (242) Keith Marshall (put on IR before season began)
    • 6.25 (209) Robert Davis (cut before season, put on practice squad)
    • 2.27 (59) Derrius Guice (placed on IR)

So, only Austin Reiter and Robert Davis didn't make the roster for a reason other than injury. Now, Brailford's a late pick, so it's no guarantee, but at the same time, they've seemingly tried to keep their guys from hitting the waiver wire and having them poached.

I literally cannot love this post enough.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

IMO you can't have it both easy here. You don't care that others for show up but you care that Anderson didn't? It's voluntary for everyone.

Sure he should be there, I think they all should be there, even Trent Williams on the sidelines supporting his teammates but they don't have to be.

Is Trent fighting for a roster spot? No? Then most likely missing time isn't going to negatively affect him in terms of someone taking his spot. But even Trent is taking a risk missing time. Still, for established vets who have proven themselves in the league missing that time in voluntary workouts may not mean that they are unemployed. Ryan? He's taking a big risk here given what has transpired in the offseason and given how much he hasn't even "whelmed" at this point.

Lastly, Ryan Anderson isn't busting his way out of the league. That's a gross exaggeration. So, Anderson hasn't gotten a lot of snaps his first two seasons stuck on the depth chart behind 3 vets. That doesn't mean he’s so bad that he's not going to make

We're saying that he's taking a big risk. The starter at his position just moved on. And we thought so highly of his play that we considered OLB to be a big need and then we added quite a bit of young, hungry talent at the position. And all he wants to do is to only show up to mandatory activities? When any of the other LBs could come in during the time it would be HIS reps and possibly show that they are a comparable replacement?

Huge.Risk.

If I'm Ryan, I want the coaches to see me doing more than just the minimum. And I want every other guy behind me on the depth chart to stay there and not get any extra chances to possibly show they can replace me.

Which is what @MikeT14 was saying.

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

You don’t get ahead in life by only doing what is mandatory.

No...apparently if it's voluntary then even if the other guy comes in and shows he's better than you, you get to keep your job. 

Because the workouts were voluntary.

That word totally protects your spot (*).

(*) Queue - the people who want to miss the entire point and rant "he did what was mandatory so he shouldn't be punished for that."

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

The fact that you have said repeatedly that you would do the extra (voluntary workouts) elsewhere but not here says everything about your willingness to be a team player on this team.

So if the guy getting your reps blows up (because...again...you've voluntarily given your reps to him) and it's between you and him when it comes time to get rid of players at the end of camp, guess who won't be on the roster?

If you choose that player because he showed up to Voluntary Camp while I showed up in Training Camp and Preseason that's on you. I don't see anyone beating Anderson in Training Camp or Preseason for his spot so once again release him because he didn't come to the "Voluntary Activities" but did his job in Preseason and Training Camp and see how many teams will want him. 

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

No...apparently if it's voluntary then even if the other guy comes in and shows he's better than you, you get to keep your job. 

Because the workouts were voluntary.

That word totally protects your spot (*).

(*) Queue - the people who want to miss the entire point and rant "he did what was mandatory so he shouldn't be punished for that."

Where are these reports that another LB outside of Sweat is showing something special so far? 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

If you choose that player because he showed up to Voluntary Camp while I showed up in Training Camp and Preseason that's on you. 

I'm convinced you're literally trying to miss the point. There's no way you can continue to miss the point this badly without knowing.

Once again for the cheap seats.

That player

1) has not done much of anything in the league

2) had the starter in his position leave

3) the team thought so highly of him that they loaded up at his position in the offseason

4) those other players are going to get reps but not as much as Ryan would

5) Ryan instead choose to forego his reps in the voluntary portion(s) of OTAs.

6) This opens the door for another player to get those reps and show out.

7) see #6... that player would've been standing on the sideline when the play(s) happened that Ryan would've been able to show out. But Ryan wasn't able to show out. Because he wasn't coming to the voluntary workout.

I don't see anyone beating Anderson in Training Camp or Preseason for his spot so once again release him because he didn't come to the "Voluntary Activities" but did his job in Preseason and Training Camp and see how many teams will want him. 

I've known quite a lot of people who thought their jobs were safe. And their positions on their teams were safe. Right up until the person who came out of nowhere and took it.

It's quite possible no one takes it. But going into training camp, after all that I listed, is telling the coaches that you aren't caring about your spot and/or you think your spot is guaranteed. 

@Woz, @MikeT14 and my point has been that he is taking a big risk by assuming that none of the guys they brought in is a threat to take his job, and therefore can't be bothered to show up. He's not gonna see the guy coming until he takes his job.

Just like Wally Pipp never saw Lou Gehrig coming.

• Like 1

I’ll take the countervailing position that our OTA’s May be a waste of time as the conditioning is a joke ( Swearinger comments) with too much grab *** and nipple twisting,  poor Strength and Conditioning staff emphasizing Deadlifts instead of flexibility work - all the muscle tears and pulls every year) and guys will be in better shape working on their own. Doesn’t have to be that way, but with our losers on staff, it is what it is. Maybe it’s safer for them to work at conditioning at a pro facility like Alabama :)

3 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

I’ll take the countervailing position that our OTA’s May be a waste of time as the conditioning is a joke ( Swearinger comments) with too much grab *** and nipple twisting,  poor Strength and Conditioning staff emphasizing Deadlifts instead of flexibility work - all the muscle tears and pulls every year) and guys will be in better shape working on their own. Doesn’t have to be that way, but with our losers on staff, it is what it is. Maybe it’s safer for them to work at conditioning at a pro facility like Alabama :)

I could probably get behind someone coming out and saying our S&C team is a joke and I don't want to do voluntary workouts with them for fear of death. 

12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm convinced you're literally trying to miss the point. There's no way you can continue to miss the point this badly without knowing.

Once again for the cheap seats.

That player

1) has not done much of anything in the league

2) had the starter in his position leave

3) the team thought so highly of him that they loaded up at his position in the offseason

4) those other players are going to get reps but not as much as Ryan would

5) Ryan instead choose to forego his reps in the voluntary portion(s) of OTAs.

6) This opens the door for another player to get those reps and show out.

7) see #6... that player would've been standing on the sideline when the play(s) happened that Ryan would've been able to show out. But Ryan wasn't able to show out. Because he wasn't coming to the voluntary workout.

I've known quite a lot of people who thought their jobs were safe. And their positions on their teams were safe. Right up until the person who came out of nowhere and took it.

It's quite possible no one takes it. But going into training camp, after all that I listed, is telling the coaches that you aren't caring about your spot and/or you think your spot is guaranteed. 

@Woz, @MikeT14 and my point has been that he is taking a big risk by assuming that none of the guys they brought in is a threat to take his job, and therefore can't be bothered to show up. He's not gonna see the guy coming until he takes his job.

Just like Wally Pipp never saw Lou Gehrig coming.

Once again Beat Me or my Client in Training Camp and Preseason! Anderson did nothing wrong by not showing up to Voluntary Activities. Please stop talking about this fictional player who is making a impact with Anderson missing those days. We've heard nothing about any LB standing out besides Sweat and Anderson himself! Anderson and Sweat will battle it out throughout Training Camp and Preseason to see who starts opposite of Kerrigan. Again I Guarantee Anderson will be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart at the OLB position start of the season if not injured. 

Your point would make more sense if they still had Gallet and Mcphee plus Sweat and Anderson all competing but they don't.