Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

 

That's good to hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Boy for a guy that def needs more work (Ryan)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

 

 

Boy for a guy that def needs more work (Ryan)...

Voluntary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:
1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Boy for a guy that def needs more work (Ryan)...

Voluntary

When the team trades back up into the first round to take a player that plays the position you would have thought you were nominally penciled in at as starter, it isn't voluntary for you.

EDITED: Missed a bit in my sentence there.

Edited by Woz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Voluntary

And? Notice how I didn't single out any of the others for missing it. 

 

EDIT: nevermind, Woz already nailed it. 

Edited by MikeT14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Woz said:

When the team trades back up into the first round to take a player that plays the position you would have thought you were nominally penciled in at as starter, it isn't voluntary for you.

EDITED: Missed a bit in my sentence there.

This ^^^

People only looking at contracts can spout the word "voluntary" all day long. The fact is that this team needs quite a bit more of players who only do what is "voluntary". 

Know what doing the bare minimum at my company gets you? 

Nada.

So when someone else comes in and does your job as well as you, but also does the stuff you didn't want to do because it's "voluntary", guess what happens next time it is time for me to consider extending your contract?

Yeah...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Still voluntary 

I get that. Obviously. But he might be fighting for his job. You'd think he'd want to put in the extra effort. I'm shocked he's not there. What I think about his ability and talent is subpar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I get that. Obviously. But he might be fighting for his job. You'd think he'd want to put in the extra effort. I'm shocked he's not there. What I think about his ability and talent is subpar. 

He could be working out elsewhere just like the rest of the guys not here. I think we all understand the meaning of Voluntary but because Anderson isn't living up to "Fans" expectations some want to jump on him for not doing something that is "Voluntary" This is why I can't stand some people with Power!! Now people are just gonna forget all the extra work Anderson put in before Sweat was drafted. He had trainers and offseason workouts before even playing in the NFL now he must use ever NFL resource to get resigned in some minds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Still voluntary 

So is his roster spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

He could be working out elsewhere just like the rest of the guys not here. I think we all understand the meaning of Voluntary but because Anderson isn't living up to "Fans" expectations some want to jump on him for not doing something that is "Voluntary" This is why I can't stand some people with Power!! 

Except the team was what record last year? Did it win a Lombardi? Did it make the playoffs? Nope. So IMHO, every player should be at the "voluntary" organized team activities

 

Quote

Now people are just gonna forget all the extra work Anderson put in before Sweat was drafted. He had trainers and offseason workouts before even playing in the NFL now he must use ever NFL resource to get resigned in some minds.

 Lots of players "work out" on their own. Great. That's great. So how did that help them become better football players and members of the team.

People used to rave about Robert's conditioning program (especially Robert himself) and how he was always the first and last guy in the weight room. How did that help him learn the offense? Read defenses? It didn't. You get that from being at the Park and going through the stuff with the coaches. You know...doing what is not required by contract, but is necessary.

 

So to Anderson - when someone like you comes in and only meets with the team when it's mandatory and only does what is mandatory, don't whine about how the other guy who DID show up when he didn't have to, took your job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Woz said:

So is his roster spot.

Bingo ^^^

Lots of people clearly have either never managed a large group of people or never coached a competitive team at any level.

Voluntary is pretty much never a word that is used by winners when it comes to getting better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

He could be working out elsewhere just like the rest of the guys not here.

That's nice, but he needs to shine for the coaching staff. Working out elsewhere doesn't do anything for him in front of the people who will decide whether he has a job with the team or not.

48 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I think we all understand the meaning of Voluntary but because Anderson isn't living up to "Fans" expectations some want to jump on him for not doing something that is "Voluntary"

I'm not jumping on him. To be perfectly honest, him not showing up is probably better for the team as a whole as that gave someone else his reps (and potentially his roster spot).

I just don't understand how he doesn't see that as a threat to his livelihood. It's either he doesn't realize it (in which case he's delusional) or he doesn't care (in which case why should they keep him?).

50 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Now people are just gonna forget all the extra work Anderson put in before Sweat was drafted.

Keep in mind that "people" includes the coaching staff.

50 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

He had trainers and offseason workouts before even playing in the NFL now he must use ever NFL resource to get resigned in some minds. 

Yeah. That's the gig. He has no protection from his contract and the team just traded back up to take someone who looks to be playing in his position. At worst, showing up and practicing in front of the coaching staff means they'll at least consider keeping him around as a backup/special teams guy. However, by choosing to not show up, he gave those reps to late round picks and UDFAs. That could come back and haunt him if stays on the bubble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Yeah. That's the gig. He has no protection from his contract and the team just traded back up to take someone who looks to be playing in his position. At worst, showing up and practicing in front of the coaching staff means they'll at least consider keeping him around as a backup/special teams guy. However, by choosing to not show up, he gave those reps to late round picks and UDFAs. That could come back and haunt him if stays on the bubble.

This ^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Bingo ^^^

Lots of people clearly have either never managed a large group of people or never coached a competitive team at any level.

Voluntary is pretty much never a word that is used by winners when it comes to getting better.

I'm a bit looser on this one than you. For instance, while I would love to see Trent Williams at OTAs (as that would have helped the offense perform against the defense better and helped Haskins out more), I realize that as soon as he's paid/done with his grievance/seen whomever fired/what have you, he'll be back on the field and performing at an All Pro level. His position is effectively safe for this coming season and probably the next one as well, barring him getting into an elongated dispute.

However, when you're a guy whose been a backup/special teams guy and your position on the roster isn't safe due to contract/cap hit, you should be acting like every snap you get in any team activity may be your last. You cannot lollygag or cede snaps to other players because they're going to end up taking your spot. If you're injured, then that sucks (it only gives you a fig leaf's worth of protection, but it's at least something). If you're not ... well ... that's just rolling the dice on your career. That's not smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×