OTAs

Thaiphoon

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Except the team was what record last year? Did it win a Lombardi? Did it make the playoffs? Nope. So IMHO, every player should be at the "voluntary" organized team activities

Lots of players "work out" on their own. Great. That's great. So how did that help them become better football players and members of the team.

People used to rave about Robert's conditioning program (especially Robert himself) and how he was always the first and last guy in the weight room. How did that help him learn the offense? Read defenses? It didn't. You get that from being at the Park and going through the stuff with the coaches. You know...doing what is not required by contract, but is necessary.

So to Anderson - when someone like you comes in and only meets with the team when it's mandatory and only does what is mandatory, don't whine about how the other guy who DID show up when he didn't have to, took your job.

Go share that Boss Mentality with someone else! The key word is Voluntary! Even if he did participate that STILL doesn't mean he's GUARANTEED a roster spot! Also take my spot. 

Edited by Skins212689

4 hours ago, Woz said:

That's nice, but he needs to shine for the coaching staff. Working out elsewhere doesn't do anything for him in front of the people who will decide whether he has a job with the team or not.

I'm not jumping on him. To be perfectly honest, him not showing up is probably better for the team as a whole as that gave someone else his reps (and potentially his roster spot).

I just don't understand how he doesn't see that as a threat to his livelihood. It's either he doesn't realize it (in which case he's delusional) or he doesn't care (in which case why should they keep him?).

Keep in mind that "people" includes the coaching staff.

Yeah. That's the gig. He has no protection from his contract and the team just traded back up to take someone who looks to be playing in his position. At worst, showing up and practicing in front of the coaching staff means they'll at least consider keeping him around as a backup/special teams guy. However, by choosing to not show up, he gave those reps to late round picks and UDFAs. That could come back and haunt him if stays on the bubble.

He did all that last year and they still drafted someone to start ahead of him!! Participating looks good but doesn't guarantee ****!!! This isn't me knocking the Sweat pick but fans and commentators who NEVER seem to understand things from a Players perspective. The damn team doesn't ethier, Thats why you have Williams in the situation he's in now. How much were they thinking about the Player's then? 

Edited by Skins212689

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Go share that Boss Mentality with someone else! The key word is Voluntary! Even if he did participate that STILL doesn't mean he's GUARANTEED a roster spot! 

This is very true.

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

He did all that last year and they still drafted someone to start ahead of him!! Participating looks good but doesn't guarantee ****!!! This isn't me knocking the Sweat pick but fans and commentators who NEVER seem to understand Players when they don't do everything with a Team would like them to do.

Except he didn't really establish himself last year (his number of snaps was 10th or 11th amongst linebackers).

2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Thats why you have Williams in the situation he's in now. How much were they thinking about the Player's then? 

As I said, Trent's got protection from his previous play and his contract. Anderson has neither of those things.

At the end of the day, you have to figure there are 25 roster spots on defense. A rough calculation would put them at 6 DL, 8 LB, 9-10 DB, and 1-2 extra spots for guys who impress the coaches and/or give them something on special teams. If you don't show up and allow the team to look at other players, your spot might evaporate even if you did everything right. If you don't have protection from The Turk because of your contract, your play in previous years, or from a lack of other options, you should be operating on the assumption that you're just one step ahead of the chopping block. If nothing else, those late round picks/UDFAs are thinking that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woz said:

This is very true.

Except he didn't really establish himself last year (his number of snaps was 10th or 11th amongst linebackers).

As I said, Trent's got protection from his previous play and his contract. Anderson has neither of those things.

At the end of the day, you have to figure there are 25 roster spots on defense. A rough calculation would put them at 6 DL, 8 LB, 9-10 DB, and 1-2 extra spots for guys who impress the coaches and/or give them something on special teams. If you don't show up and allow the team to look at other players, your spot might evaporate even if you did everything right. If you don't have protection from The Turk because of your contract, your play in previous years, or from a lack of other options, you should be operating on the assumption that you're just one step ahead of the chopping block. If nothing else, those late round picks/UDFAs are thinking that way.

At the end of the day It's Voluntary day's he is missing. Plain and Simple. Also from other's experiences I wouldn't feel safe practicing on the Turf the Skins have. Cut me I'll take my talents elsewhere.

Edited by Skins212689

6 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

At the end of the day It's Voluntary day's he is missing. Plain and Simple. Also from other's experiences I wouldn't feel safe practicing on the Turf the Skins have. Cut me I'll take my talents elsewhere. 

Washington's reaction:

giphy.gif

36 minutes ago, Woz said:

Washington's reaction:

giphy.gif

That's the problem and Why Trent may never suit up in a Skins uniform again. You care nothing about the player side of things. Good luck building a team with that mentality or having people who actually enjoy working with you. 

19 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

That's the problem and Why Trent may never suit up in a Skins uniform again. You care nothing about the player side of things. Good luck building a team with that mentality or having people who actually enjoy working with you. 

Trent had earned his stripes. If he was not showing up simply because he didn't want to show, I wouldn't care. Well, I would simply because it meant that Flowers was "playing" in front of Keenum and Haskins, but at least that hopefully showed the team that his signing was a mistake and he cannot be counted on to play on the roster. If he was holding out for more money, I'd "fine" him when camp started, but as soon as he showed up, the fines would magically disappear. His medical issue is a special case and one I don't know how you solve, but I understand him staying away even there.

Anderson, on the other hand, is arguably on the roster bubble. If he doesn't want to be here (which seems to be the case given by the fact that he doesn't seem to care that he's at risk), then cutting him doesn't really hurt the team as a whole.

I generally back the players, but at some point, they have to show that they have a desire to play. If your position on the roster being at risk isn't incentive, I'm not sure there is anything that the coaching staff can do to motivate you or put you in a position to help the team succeed. I thought he was a blown pick at the time, and he has done nothing to change my assessment of him. I don't wish him any ill will, but I don't see why I should feel bad if he gets cut because of his own decisions.

Now, he might still make the final roster. That's possible too. I wouldn't be thrilled by it (as I said, I think he's not NFL caliber) but I wouldn't be upset like I would if say Flowers was to make the roster. He just made that path harder for himself. So be it.

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

Trent had earned his stripes. If he was not showing up simply because he didn't want to show, I wouldn't care. Well, I would simply because it meant that Flowers was "playing" in front of Keenum and Haskins, but at least that hopefully showed the team that his signing was a mistake and he cannot be counted on to play on the roster. If he was holding out for more money, I'd "fine" him when camp started, but as soon as he showed up, the fines would magically disappear. His medical issue is a special case and one I don't know how you solve, but I understand him staying away even there.

Anderson, on the other hand, is arguably on the roster bubble. If he doesn't want to be here (which seems to be the case given by the fact that he doesn't seem to care that he's at risk), then cutting him doesn't really hurt the team as a whole.

I generally back the players, but at some point, they have to show that they have a desire to play. If your position on the roster being at risk isn't incentive, I'm not sure there is anything that the coaching staff can do to motivate you or put you in a position to help the team succeed. I thought he was a blown pick at the time, and he has done nothing to change my assessment of him. I don't wish him any ill will, but I don't see why I should feel bad if he gets cut because of his own decisions.

Now, he might still make the final roster. That's possible too. I wouldn't be thrilled by it (as I said, I think he's not NFL caliber) but I wouldn't be upset like I would if say Flowers was to make the roster. He just made that path harder for himself. So be it.

Anderson has earned his stripes as well, being a NFL player for the last 3 seasons while doing what has been asked of him from the team on and off the field. I don't care if he isn't a Pro Bowler like Williams. Just because he doesn't show up for Voluntary activities means you disregards all his other contributions and make it seem like his job is on the line. Who is starting behind Kerrigan and Sweat? I think Anderson! Who else do they have?

Edited by Skins212689

2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Anderson has earned his stripes as well, being a NFL player for the last 3 seasons while doing what has been asked of him from the team on and off the field. I don't care if he isn't a Pro Bowler like Williams. Just because he doesn't show up for Voluntary activities means you disregards all his other contributions and make it seem like his job is on the line. Who is starting behind Kerrigan and Sweat? I think Anderson! Who else do they have?

That's the problem in not showing up: he opened the door for someone else.

Maybe Jordan Brailford makes the roster instead of ending up on the practice squad.

The practice reps went somewhere. Who knows what the coaching staff saw in the guys who took them?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

That's the problem in not showing up: he opened the door for someone else.

Maybe Jordan Brailford makes the roster instead of ending up on the practice squad.

The practice reps went somewhere. Who knows what the coaching staff saw in the guys who took them?

Yea ok, We've heard nothing about this dude in OTAs! Now if Anderson was a CB with the news about Moreland making a name for himself I'd agree, but as stated we've heard nothing about Brialford. 

27 minutes ago, Woz said:

Anderson was supposedly dominating Flowers in OTA's so good luck keeping Flowers over Anderson! O yea I forgot Flowers showed up to Voluntary activities so he deserves a spot more than Anderson! 

10 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Yea ok, We've heard nothing about this dude in OTAs! Now if Anderson was a CB with the news about Moreland making a name for himself I'd agree, but as stated we've heard nothing about Brialford. 

Yea but Brailford now gets a ton extra reps and as an undrafted guy that’s about a big a chance as you get. If Anderson is so pissed about the Sweat pick, show up even though it’s voluntary and make the decision on who starts opposite Kerrigan as tough as you can. Kerrigan won’t be around forever, I think Ryan needs to see the big picture a little more