OTAs

Thaiphoon

12 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Once again your only concerned about You and Your values nothing about your player or employee. Your Franchise has turf issues and other issues witch is why my client would like to train elsewhere doing Voluntary Activities. Also the League ALLOWS me or my client to not participate in Voluntary Activities. Cut me or Him if you like, there are another 31 teams he can make! 

Okay.

If you he were to think that way, that's fine. Again, it's his prerogative.

Personally, I wouldn't bank on going to another team and having to learn a whole new system at veteran minimum, when I could apply myself in house and make for better tape here so that I can leave and make a bigger contract when I'm eligible for free agency.

But that's me. To each their own.

4 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Go share that Boss Mentality with someone else! The key word is Voluntary! Even if he did participate that STILL doesn't mean he's GUARANTEED a roster spot! 

And given that he didn't participate, guess what? That spot that we agree that isn't guaranteed...just got less likely due to him opening the door to others to shine in his absence.

As for "boss mentality", it is what it is. You either recognize that the boss is going to see things a certain way, or you don't. The ones who actually get it are the ones who get ahead.

The ones left behind...are the ones still shouting the words "voluntary" 

4 hours ago, Woz said:

At the end of the day, you have to figure there are 25 roster spots on defense. A rough calculation would put them at 6 DL, 8 LB, 9-10 DB, and 1-2 extra spots for guys who impress the coaches and/or give them something on special teams. If you don't show up and allow the team to look at other players, your spot might evaporate even if you did everything right. If you don't have protection from The Turk because of your contract, your play in previous years, or from a lack of other options, you should be operating on the assumption that you're just one step ahead of the chopping block. If nothing else, those late round picks/UDFAs are thinking that way.

Nope @Woz, you clearly don;t understand the word "voluntary" and how it will provide armor against him getting cut or demoted.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Trent had earned his stripes. If he was not showing up simply because he didn't want to show, I wouldn't care. Well, I would simply because it meant that Flowers was "playing" in front of Keenum and Haskins, but at least that hopefully showed the team that his signing was a mistake and he cannot be counted on to play on the roster. If he was holding out for more money, I'd "fine" him when camp started, but as soon as he showed up, the fines would magically disappear. His medical issue is a special case and one I don't know how you solve, but I understand him staying away even there.

Anderson, on the other hand, is arguably on the roster bubble. If he doesn't want to be here (which seems to be the case given by the fact that he doesn't seem to care that he's at risk), then cutting him doesn't really hurt the team as a whole.

I generally back the players, but at some point, they have to show that they have a desire to play. If your position on the roster being at risk isn't incentive, I'm not sure there is anything that the coaching staff can do to motivate you or put you in a position to help the team succeed. I thought he was a blown pick at the time, and he has done nothing to change my assessment of him. I don't wish him any ill will, but I don't see why I should feel bad if he gets cut because of his own decisions.

Now, he might still make the final roster. That's possible too. I wouldn't be thrilled by it (as I said, I think he's not NFL caliber) but I wouldn't be upset like I would if say Flowers was to make the roster. He just made that path harder for himself. So be it.

This is my point in a nutshell.

Dude isn't an All Pro. Isn't a Pro Bowler. Hell, he isn't even a regular STARTER on our team. He's a backup who played limited snaps last few seasons. One who did such a bang up job of it, that we went INTO the offseason with HIS position listed as a position OF NEED.

And dude doesn't get the hint? At this point, this might be more of an intelligence test of him than anything else

31 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Anderson himself has said practice at Alabama was harder than with the Skins

And yet, he couldn't crack the starting lineup.

Your shrugs again say you care nothing about those who work for or with YOU. Not a good look even if you are the Boss! 

One can care for the player/employee and still think they are shooting themselves in the foot. By not being here, he's ceding reps to other players as @Woz pointed out. Those are reps that he would've gotten. It's taking a huge gamble to willingly cede those reps to another player. You never know when they are going to shine and catch the eye of the coaches. Pretty soon, you're on 3rd team because the guy who took those practice reps, did something when it was your turn to have your reps.

But yeah...voluntary. Quite a few VERY talented and gifted athletes don't make it very far because they liked that word. Hopefully Anderson doesn't come to regret it either.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I just think if he wants to advance when there's an opening in front of him, sitting back and not showing up isn't going to help his cause.

Especially when we're talking about someone who was already injured and someone who is healthy. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

There's not a opening when Sweat was just drafted! If any, its a slight one that 

OLB was a position of NEED coming into the draft.

Why?

Because Anderson underwhelms at his position.

The whole reason it was a position of need was because he isn't  perceived as starter quality.

Wonder why that is...

53 minutes ago, Woz said:

Even a slight opening is an opening. If he wanted the job, he needed to show the staff that he wanted the job. He chose to stay home. That was his prerogative.

While I was still young in my career, my boss asked me to do some technical screens for candidates. I had no idea how to interview people to find out things. So I called my dad. He said something that sticks with me today:

"At the end of the day, when interviewing a candidate, you want to answer three questions: 1. Can they do the job? 2. Will they do the job? and 3. Will they fit in with the rest of your team? If the answer to any of those questions is no, then you should pass on them."

By not showing up, it's possible that Anderson put a strike next to his name on question 2 and left question 1 unanswered beyond his spot play to date. Even question 3 is at risk since the coaching staff could not see how the defense would operate with him on the field with the guys who did show up.

Again, his choice. If I'm a coach, I have to evaluate what I see on the field of the players to know if they are a fit or not. If someone doesn't show up, their evaluation is empty.

Bingo!! ^^ Exactly how I measure candidates. And you're spot on with the questions he's leaving unanswered.

57 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Once again your only concerned about You and Your values nothing about your player or employee. 

Since we're roleplaying...

YES!! It's my team. I care about my TEAM. Which consists of 53 (right now 90-something) men who are all trying to do right by their families and build a winning football team. When one player who isn't starting and hasn't shown much since we drafted him in the 2nd round starts telling me that he doesn't want to show up for organized team activities...even after getting a HUGE hint with the drafting of Sweat, that tells me that he doesn't care about his job. So why should I care about his job for him?

Your Franchise has turf issues and other issues witch is why my client would like to train elsewhere doing Voluntary Activities. 

Where do you live? The team doesn't practice at FedEx. In fact the turf at Redskins Park is very well maintained. Try again.

(Thai here - I live 10 minutes away from Redskins Park...I've been on all three practice fields and have been in the practice bubble quite a bit. It's literally a falsehood to try to tell me that there are "turf issues" on the practice fields. Again, Fed Ex has the issues.)

(Okay back to roleplaying F.O. man) => But that's not where they practice. IF he doesn't want to be where there are turf issues then he obviously doesn't want to play in regular season games for me since Fed Ex is where those issues are. Given that is the case, and the fact that he doesn't show up for organized team activities, I can only assume he doesn't want a job)

Also the League ALLOWS me or my client to not participate in Voluntary Activities.

Yes it does. It also has no guaranteed contracts (except one)

Cut me or Him if you like, there are another 31 teams he can make! 

Oh don't worry. If we decide to cut him, it will be at the end of training camp. We'll need a camp body after all. And at that point if you get picked up, your client is gonna be making vet minimum.

Minimum...just like your client's effort.

12 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

OLB was a position of NEED coming into the draft.

Why?

Because Anderson underwhelms at his position.

The whole reason it was a position of need was because he isn't starter quality.

Wonder why that is...

Dude we were talking about Anderson not showing up to Voluntary Activities. I NEVER said OLB wasn't a position of need. 

Just now, Skins212689 said:

Dude we were talking about Anderson not showing up to Voluntary Activities. I NEVER said OLB wasn't a position of need. 

You argued he now has no shot at starting. My point was that the reason that is, is because he isn't a starter and has done jack squat since being drafted in the 2nd round a few years ago. 

He needs to take the hint and get busy...not regress and retreat into only doing voluntary workouts.

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Since we're roleplaying...

YES!! It's my team. I care about my TEAM. Which consists of 53 (right now 90-something) men who are all trying to do right by their families and build a winning football team. When one player who isn't starting and hasn't shown much since we drafted him in the 2nd round starts telling me that he doesn't want to show up for organized team activities...even after getting a HUGE hint with the drafting of Sweat, that tells me that he doesn't care about his job. So why should I care about his job for him?

Where do you live? The team doesn't practice at FedEx. In fact the turf at Redskins Park is very well maintained. Try again.

(Thai here - I live 10 minutes away from Redskins Park...I've been on all three practice fields and have been in the practice bubble quite a bit. It's literally a falsehood to try to tell me that there are "turf issues" on the practice fields. Again, Fed Ex has the issues.)

Okay back to F.O. man -> But that's not where they practice. IF he doesn't want to be where there are turf issues then he obviously doesn't want to play in regular season games for me since Fed Ex is where those issues are. Given that is the case, and the fact that he doesn't show up for organized team activities, I can only assume he doesn't want a job)

Yes it does. It also has no guaranteed contracts (except one)

Oh don't worry. If we decide to cut him, it will be at the end of training camp. We'll need a camp body after all. And at that point you're making vet minimum.

Minimum...just like your client's effort.

When my Client or I don't show up to Voluntary Activities and that makes you upset please just trade me or let me go now! I'm not your slave!

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

You argued he now has no shot at starting. My point was that the reason that is, is because he isn't a starter and has done jack squat since being drafted in the 2nd round a few years ago. 

He needs to take the hint and get busy...not regress and retreat into only doing voluntary workouts.

He's done what has been asked of him! You mad he hasn't done much as a 2nd round pick blame the guys who selected him there. He participated in Mandatory Activities and looked like a damn All Pro against a former top 10 pick in Flowers. Release me or my client now please. 

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

When my Client or I don't show up to Voluntary Activities and that makes you upset please just trade me or let me go now!

Why should I? I'm under no mandatory obligation to trade you when you want to be traded. I will trade you or cut you when I want to. If you want to play by the contract, so can I.

I'm not your slave!

Yeah, you literally want to stop here with that. I'd really not go any further down this line of argument.