Death Stranding Release Trailer

It's hard to distrust Kojima, the guy's been putting out A+++ titles since forever.    The cast is terrific, and the game trailer looks amazing.

Still, that's one heckuva LSD-fuelled trip trying to follow any logical sequence.  Then again, it's probably part of Kojima's game storyboard to be all over the place initially.   As always, in the end, it will come down to whether the gameplay and story can hook players in.   The trend away from single-story based games is definitely here, you need something special to grab the gamer audience nowadays.   I'm looking forward to this, hope it can deliver on the pedigree and the promise.

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

So what's the expectation of what type of game this is?  Not story, but is this going to be a Mass Effect type RPG, or just a linear type action game? 

I'd imagine a copy of MGS Phantom Pain. Open World stealth/action

• 5 months later...

Man, the reviews on this are mega-disappointing.   Visually insane, a mind-bending story......but the gameplay slow as molasses, and reduces you to doing fetch quests, outside of the occasional boss battles.   So bummed.  Kojima hasn't whiffed in a long time, but here I think there was too much LSD in his coffee when he came up with the idea on this one. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Man, the reviews on this are mega-disappointing.   Visually insane, a mind-bending story......but the gameplay slow as molasses, and reduces you to doing fetch quests, outside of the occasional boss battles.   So bummed.  Kojima hasn't whiffed in a long time, but here I think there was too much LSD in his coffee when he came up with the idea on this one. 

I mean they aren't "fetch quests" they're deliveries, combat is not the optimal solution because it's not what the game is about. The positive reviews are all about how it's meant to be slow, deliberate, and calming. It's a departure from most AAA games and something Kojima has wanted to do for a while.

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean they aren't "fetch quests" they're deliveries, combat is not the optimal solution because it's not what the game is about. The positive reviews are all about how it's meant to be slow, deliberate, and calming. It's a departure from most AAA games and something Kojima has wanted to do for a while.

Sure, but for any game like that to succeed - there has to be variety.  The biggest damning criticism is that the gameplay is so repetitive.   Slow and deliberate is a matter of taste, but repetitive gameplay for that long is an issue.  

I say that as someone who had nothing but love for his MG series, and who has no problem (well I actually do have a problem, but I'll make the time) pouring in 50-100 hours on an AAA title (BOTW, FF good games, Chrono Trigger, etc.), or playing even just a story-driven game with my kids (To The Moon on PC prime example #1).     We'll see.

8 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

Like most, I was super intrigued by this, but at this point it looks like nothing more than a device to put me to sleep. I'll watch some playthroughs on YouTube, but no way in hell am I investing 40+ hours of my life into this. 

I agree with everything about this. The fact that so many good titles are coming out soon that this will have to compete with is a challenge for it as well. I have a feeling this is a YT walkthrough watch for me. The cinematics look excellent and the story is very interesting but the game play I've seen just isn't doing it for me. I'll be watching people on Twitch though and see what it's all about