Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

4 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

It's really one of the only core game modes I enjoy playing. I have always preferred Hardcore 

In MW2, I played Ground War a ton.  I like constant action.  BO4's 5v5 sucked... I really hope this new game doesn't go that route as well.

On 5/31/2019 at 4:42 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Cross-platform has me intrigued because I've always wanted to dunk on PS4/Xbox players from my PC.

Good luck with that

Cross Play will work in this game similar to that of Fortnite. Players will be matched with other players across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC that have similar input devices (using controllers). Cross Play will work between PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, and if you are using a controller, you will be placed in lobbies with players using controllers.

And, similar to cross play games like Fortnite, in Modern Warfare, if you are on PS4 or Xbox One and team up with a player on PC using a keyboard and mouse, you will then be placed in lobbies with all players — regardless of input devices.

https://charlieintel.com/report-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-cross-play-will-work-similar-to-fortnite-based-on-input-matchmaking/54548/

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

Good luck with that

Cross Play will work in this game similar to that of Fortnite. Players will be matched with other players across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC that have similar input devices (using controllers). Cross Play will work between PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, and if you are using a controller, you will be placed in lobbies with players using controllers.

And, similar to cross play games like Fortnite, in Modern Warfare, if you are on PS4 or Xbox One and team up with a player on PC using a keyboard and mouse, you will then be placed in lobbies with all players — regardless of input devices.

https://charlieintel.com/report-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-cross-play-will-work-similar-to-fortnite-based-on-input-matchmaking/54548/

Okay, so basically there's going to be a HUGE platform for people to mod their inputs to make it look like they're using a controller when really they're not. RIP console users, otherwise I agree with this decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Okay, so basically there's going to be a HUGE platform for people to mod their inputs to make it look like they're using a controller when really they're not. RIP console users, otherwise I agree with this decision.

Nope.  There's a device called a XIM that people on consoles use where they can use a keyboard and mouse, but it was undetectable because it reads like it's a controller.  That device has been around for years - even a new one came out like a year or so ago.  I believe it's called the XIM Apex.  Recently, Fortnite developed some software where it can somehow detect whether or not someone is using a XIM.  If it detects you're using this, it will automatically put you into a PC lobby.  Only Fortnite can detect it, though.  Games like Overwatch and others cannot.... but I think that's partly because there's not even a crossplay option in those games.

I'm not sure if this new Call of Duty game will have that, but it probably will.  Also, the XIM is pretty expensive.  I think it cost $100 or even more.  Most people who play on a console won't buy one of those anyway.

This type of stuff sucks for PC players, for the most part because cross play doesn't really increase the player base for them like it does on Xbox and Playstation.  However, it is good for people who play on console and have PC friends.  Now they can play together.  Granted, they'll be playing in PC lobbies, which will suck for the console players, but at least they can still play.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

People already use K+M on console. Adding crossplay isn't going to make a difference.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

Nope.  There's a device called a XIM that people on consoles use where they can use a keyboard and mouse, but it was undetectable because it reads like it's a controller.  That device has been around for years - even a new one came out like a year or so ago.  I believe it's called the XIM Apex.  Recently, Fortnite developed some software where it can somehow detect whether or not someone is using a XIM.  If it detects you're using this, it will automatically put you into a PC lobby.  Only Fortnite can detect it, though.  Games like Overwatch and others cannot.... but I think that's partly because there's not even a crossplay option in those games.

I'm not sure if this new Call of Duty game will have that, but it probably will.  Also, the XIM is pretty expensive.  I think it cost $100 or even more.  Most people who play on a console won't buy one of those anyway.

This type of stuff sucks for PC players, for the most part because cross play doesn't really increase the player base for them like it does on Xbox and Playstation.  However, it is good for people who play on console and have PC friends.  Now they can play together.  Granted, they'll be playing in PC lobbies, which will suck for the console players, but at least they can still play.

You could always just have your PC friends use a controller (I mean I wouldn't personally, but I don't have any friends on console any longer so idk), but good point. I knew about the XIM controllers for consoles but you know I'm no cross-platform expert here I just login and play :D

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You could always just have your PC friends use a controller (I mean I wouldn't personally, but I don't have any friends on console any longer so idk), but good point. I knew about the XIM controllers for consoles but you know I'm no cross-platform expert here I just login and play :D

I'm not sure it works that way.  I think if you play on PC with a mouse and controller that you'll still be on PC.  The reason I think that is because.... you're still playing on a computer.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.  If I am, what lobby would it put you into to?  An Xbox lobby or a PS4 lobby? 

8 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm not sure it works that way.  I think if you play on PC with a mouse and controller that you'll still be on PC.  The reason I think that is because.... you're still playing on a computer.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.  If I am, what lobby would it put you into to?  An Xbox lobby or a PS4 lobby? 

Would it matter? I know for me personally when I played Rocket League I'd use an Xbox controller to play, but I would imagine it's either console lobby or PC lobby.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Would it matter? I know for me personally when I played Rocket League I'd use an Xbox controller to play, but I would imagine it's either console lobby or PC lobby.

The thing about inputs is, if you have your keyboard and mouse still plugged in, it'll probably read that as your input method over the controller.  That's how the XIM works.  You have a controller plugged in as well as a mouse and keyboard.  The mouse and keyboard will override the controller and it will put you into a PC lobby.

With Rocket League, it doesn't matter because there's no advantage from playing on a mouse and keyboard.  In fact, that's not the way most people play the game.

Like in Fortnite.  It's not possible for a PC player to be in a console lobby regardless if they play with a controller or not.  They're still in a PC lobby.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'd hope PC players are in only PC lobbies regardless of if they use a controller. There are other issues like FOV, higher framerates, and the aimbot/hackers that are on PC that aren't possible on consoles.

Obviously, we won't know about CoD until it happens, but this is how it works in Fortnite.  A PC player that uses a controller will not be placed in a console lobby.  That person will still be placed in a PC lobby.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:49 AM, showtime said:

But here's straight up one of the biggest issues with games like this - it's a yearly title.  That's honestly not enough time to smoothly implement a lot of these major changes. 

The dev's work in a three year cycle for CoD games with three different teams. Unless you think it will take time for the players to get used to things.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:49 AM, showtime said:

I don't get why some developers still can't get it through their head.  The game sales are good, but you don't need to put new games out all the time.  Just release a game, continue to make it better and people will spend a crap ton on microtransactions.

Their current business model seems to be working. The only games I can think of that are a stand alone success with long lasting MTX support are League of Legends and Fortnite which is very recent. We will likely see more ftp games like those in the future, but it's risky for companies to go that route because they require popularity to succeed.