Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

6 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

@Hunter2_1 @RavensfanRD - Just as a clarification, your connection "speed" (bandwidth) has no effect on latency in online games. A game like COD uses a negligible amount of data. The two things that matter are your ping to your server, and packet loss. A 5 Mbps connection with 20 ping will be far better than a 100 Mbps connection with 50 ping (assuming there aren't other people on your network sucking up all the bandwidth). 

Switching to a gigabit connection will make a difference not because of the extra bandwidth, but because you are switching from a copper/coax wire, to a fiber optic line which has far less latency.

Having a wired connection as opposed to wifi generally doesn't have a huge impact on your ping (unless you have a really slow wireless router), but it will improve connection consistency. You won't drop packets like you do on a wireless connection.

You also need to consider other things like display lag and input lag. Most TV's will have 100-150 ms of display lag when not in gaming mode, meaning even though the game isn't lagging, what you are seeing and reacting to could be 150 ms behind. In a fast game like COD that is massive, and even more important than your ping. A gaming monitor will be 10-15 ms.

Also, COD uses dedicated servers, but right now it seems like there are issues with people being put on sub-optimal servers (such as US players occasionally on EU servers) due to the skill-based matchmaking, but I expect that will be adjusted soon. 

Like I said, my ping on console is 30 to 70 if they got me playing people in Bangladesh or other crazy spots. Whereas on PC, my ping is 9 or 10. And download speed is still a factor in having a decent connection while ping is the ultimate king. 

And far as the bolded part goes... no effin' way they use dedicated servers with the present lag. In no COD game have they ever used real dedicated servers. I know they finessed people into thinking they used "partial" dedicated severs for either WWII or Ops 3, I can't remember. If this is what they call dedicated servers, might as well switch it back to hosted lobbies. These are trashcan servers.

Edited by RavensfanRD

10 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

@Hunter2_1 @RavensfanRD - Just as a clarification, your connection "speed" (bandwidth) has no effect on latency in online games. A game like COD uses a negligible amount of data. The two things that matter are your ping to your server, and packet loss. A 5 Mbps connection with 20 ping will be far better than a 100 Mbps connection with 50 ping (assuming there aren't other people on your network sucking up all the bandwidth). 

Switching to a gigabit connection will make a difference not because of the extra bandwidth, but because you are switching from a copper/coax wire, to a fiber optic line which has far less latency.

Having a wired connection as opposed to wifi generally doesn't have a huge impact on your ping (unless you have a really slow wireless router), but it will improve connection consistency. You won't drop packets like you do on a wireless connection.

You also need to consider other things like display lag and input lag. Most TV's will have 100-150 ms of display lag when not in gaming mode, meaning even though the game isn't lagging, what you are seeing and reacting to could be 150 ms behind. In a fast game like COD that is massive, and even more important than your ping. A gaming monitor will be 10-15 ms.

Also, COD uses dedicated servers, but right now it seems like there are issues with people being put on sub-optimal servers (such as US players occasionally on EU servers) due to the skill-based matchmaking, but I expect that will be adjusted soon. 

Thank you for this. I did look up packet loss, and it seemed quite a lot - I can't quite remember what it was. What's a significant packet loss? Do you know how I can find my ping score?

Almost guaranteed to be suffering the lag from display also, as it's not a great tv and not for gaming usually.

back to the drawing board.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:17 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Thank you for this. I did look up packet loss, and it seemed quite a lot - I can't quite remember what it was. What's a significant packet loss? Do you know how I can find my ping score?

Almost guaranteed to be suffering the lag from display also, as it's not a great tv and not for gaming usually.

back to the drawing board.

Speedtest.net

or Fast.com

They say Fast.com is more accurate. They'll both tell you your ping, download speed and upload speed.

Does your TV have a game mode? Should definitely have that turned on if it does.

Edited by RavensfanRD
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Speedtest.net

or Fast.com

They say Fast.com is more accurate. They'll both tell you your ping, download speed and upload speed.

Does your TV have a game mode? Should definitely have that turned on if it does.

Net speed: 4.5 mbps

Latency: unloaded: 35ms , loaded: 149ms

Ping: 36

Yeah it does have gaming mode, will switch to that.

Edited by Hunter2_1

3 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

Camping is such an issue on this game.  Fat claymore laying virgins hiding in every corner.  

This isnt COD.

Run EOD and that spotter mess to help with your quarries of Claymores. However, the game is a camp fest. Doesn't bother me though, the low tier scrubs will normally lose just the same. You camp in a corner just to go 7-16 is pretty lulzy.

Question about that Infantry Tank though. How does this work? Do I need to be on 20 man TDM to use it? Every time I select it, it gives me a wheelson. Then if I select the wheelson, it gives me the wheelson. I've never had that little mini tank in the 7th killstreak option. What's good with that?! 

4 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Question about that Infantry Tank though. How does this work? Do I need to be on 20 man TDM to use it? Every time I select it, it gives me a wheelson. Then if I select the wheelson, it gives me the wheelson. I've never had that little mini tank in the 7th killstreak option. What's good with that?! 

It's only available on certain maps, otherwise it defaults to wheelson.