Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

11 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but as a console player I don't want to get lasered by people on pc 

My sentiments exactly. Kids today don'y know the power of keyboard and mouse. Outside of that, solid announcement I guess.

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

Game looks and sounds awesome but I have my doubts - Black Ops 4 is garbage, WW2 was mediocre, IW was garbage and Black Ops 3 was garbage.

I was really disappointed by BO4, but I thought BO3 (outside of the ridiculous Black Market) was one of the best COD games ever made. So much fun.

I got BO4 and ONLY played Blackout.  The only good COD games imo:

COD4 (OG and RM)

MW2

BO1

BO2

I'm hoping this brings the franchise back to glory, if for no other reason than nostalgia.  I still play MW2 today.

Edited by carrolljcmc
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but as a console player I don't want to get lasered by people on pc 

This is an easy fix.  Fortnite has done cross play beautifully.  Console players and PC players cannot play together unless the console player is using a mouse and keyboard (Or a console and PC player want to party up together).  As soon as you plug a mouse and keyboard into your PS4 or Xbox, Fortnite is able to detect that and it will take you out of console lobbies and place you into PC lobbies even though you're playing on a console.

This is literally all Call of Duty has to do, but somehow I doubt they do it like that even though there is a proven track record of how to handle this situation by one of the most successful games ever made.

But here's straight up one of the biggest issues with games like this - it's a yearly title.  That's honestly not enough time to smoothly implement a lot of these major changes.  What they need to do is release a Call of Duty game and continue to support it for years.  For example, the Blackout mode in BO4 had many issues when it first came out.  Over time, they've made the game play smoother, continued to balance items in the game, put new items in the game, etc.  So now that the game mode is much better, the new CoD is coming out in like 5 months. 

Sports games have this same issue.  It's also part of the reason people hate microtransactions in these games.  I don't get why some developers still can't get it through their head.  The game sales are good, but you don't need to put new games out all the time.  Just release a game, continue to make it better and people will spend a crap ton on microtransactions.

Literally, some of the most profitable games over the past 8 years have done this formula:  Dota 2, League of Legends, Fortnite, etc.  Those games are FREE.

26 minutes ago, showtime said:

But here's straight up one of the biggest issues with games like this - it's a yearly title.  That's honestly not enough time to smoothly implement a lot of these major changes.  What they need to do is release a Call of Duty game and continue to support it for years.  For example, the Blackout mode in BO4 had many issues when it first came out.  Over time, they've made the game play smoother, continued to balance items in the game, put new items in the game, etc.  So now that the game mode is much better, the new CoD is coming out in like 5 months. 

Sports games have this same issue.  It's also part of the reason people hate microtransactions in these games.  I don't get why some developers still can't get it through their head.  The game sales are good, but you don't need to put new games out all the time.  Just release a game, continue to make it better and people will spend a crap ton on microtransactions.

Literally, some of the most profitable games over the past 8 years have done this formula:  Dota 2, League of Legends, Fortnite, etc.  Those games are FREE.

To be fair, the CODs are made my different developers on a rotating schedule.  Who knows how long IF has actually worked on this version, but they have had 3 years or however long it’s been since their last year.

IIRC BO4 was broken because they scrapped the initial plan like 1 year 1/2 in.  I know the battle royale at least was not the initial plan 

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

To be fair, the CODs are made my different developers on a rotating schedule.  Who knows how long IF has actually worked on this version, but they have had 3 years or however long it’s been since their last year.

IIRC BO4 was broken because they scrapped the initial plan like 1 year 1/2 in.  I know the battle royale at least was not the initial plan 

You think this new game will have a battle royale?

4 hours ago, Scalamania said:

Game looks and sounds awesome but I have my doubts - Black Ops 4 is garbage, WW2 was mediocre, IW was garbage and Black Ops 3 was garbage.

The thing about WW2 is, that game was horrendous when it first came out.  Then pretty late into the game's cycle, I think someone else took over and the game got much better, according to the player base.  But that is what I was saying previously.  By the time these games start getting good after tons of patches and fixes, the next game is getting ready to come out.

Also, I wouldn't say Black Ops 3 was garbage.  BO4 is garbage.  BO3 was a pretty good game and it had a really long life span.

23 minutes ago, showtime said:

You think this new game will have a battle royale?

I think so, yeah.  Treyarch was able to get it in without a lot of time, relatively speaking.  It would surprise me if IW, with extra time, wasn't asked to do the same.

I'm not even sure I have more than 2 hours in BO4 Blackout but I know a lot of people said it was good.  Personally, I would rather them spend that additional time working on and perfecting the multiplayer.  I don't care for battle royale games and that market is starting to become overly saturated anyway.  

And I agree about BO3.  I wasn't a huge fan of the game (I think I always held it against the game that it wasn't BO2, which is my favorite COD and what I was expecting), but objectively speaking that game had a lot of good elements to it.  The streaks were great, you had a lot of good and different weapons, and they had way more good original maps than BO4.  And people were still playing that game fiercely until BO4 came out - hell, they were releasing updates almost consistently for the game.  Whereas it seems like Treyarch has already given up on BO4.

Did anyone here play Infinite Warfare?  I never played that game beyond the beta, but I've seen a lot of people say the game was great and that its only problem is that it came out at a bad time.  And some said it had the best hit detection of any COD (which hopefully is true for the next one along with a better TTK - BO4's TTK might be the worst).  I remember thinking it wasn't nearly as bad, gameplay wise, as I was expecting, but just wasn't interested in playing it.

47 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I think so, yeah.  Treyarch was able to get it in without a lot of time, relatively speaking.  It would surprise me if IW, with extra time, wasn't asked to do the same.

I'm not even sure I have more than 2 hours in BO4 Blackout but I know a lot of people said it was good.  Personally, I would rather them spend that additional time working on and perfecting the multiplayer.  I don't care for battle royale games and that market is starting to become overly saturated anyway.

I agree with this. 

This is yet another reason why the lifespan of the game needs to be more than just one year.  Battle Royale and traditional multiplayer in CoD are TOTALLY different.  They each need to be balanced in their own way.  It takes so long to do all of that before both game modes become really good. 

If the game is going to be a yearly installment, I would rather them take the BR out of the game and just focus on the mulitplayer. 

Like many other people I can imagine, I got really into Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2. Those were two objectively great games. I lost complete interest in Call of Duty after that with every iteration of Black Ops and MW3 and IW and whatever have you.

I have mild optimism for this game, however. I really hope they are returning to the root of Modern Warfare, but I just have serious doubts about the ultimate product. I'll still keep tabs on this game and if in October it still stays true to this, I might pick it up on launch week. Cross-platform has me intrigued because I've always wanted to dunk on PS4/Xbox players from my PC.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danger said:

Nope. I was fooled into trying this series again with Black Ops 4. Never again.

I won't say never again, but I'm definitely hesitant. I bought Black Ops 4 after not having bought a COD game in quite some time, and I was disappointed with it and completely stopped playing after just a few weeks.